Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 04:37 AM

24,817 posts, read 9,583,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
If all we sent was your one plane, then we'd have nothing to re-retaliate so it wouldn't be so much mutually assured destruction as much as self-assured destruction.
Correct, you could bomb Russia off the map and they would still be able to retaliate with nukes launched from submarines and even secret locations of other countries and territories. Also, China would be upset when some of the radiation from nuclear fallout lands in their country.

It truly is self assured destruction and mutually assured destruction.

There’s no scenario where a triad nuclear power won’t be able to retaliate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 05:27 AM

22,687 posts, read 24,697,193 times
Ok, the best thing is to not overreact.

Borders have changed-hands ever since the concept came about.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:28 AM

45,300 posts, read 26,564,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's time to roll out the "Enola Gay" once again, with one unannounced stop over Moscow.
Let's get this done once and for all.
Russia would be in no condition to retaliate.
You are out of your mind

Old 02-26-2022, 05:30 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,918,034 times
OP, I agree, but Moscow is full of civilians. Need to get them out first.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:32 AM

45,300 posts, read 26,564,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Ok, the best thing is to not overreact.

Borders have changed-hands ever since the concept came about.
Yes.
Witness the time lapse of a 1000 years of European borders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjWVFZ5e_vo

Old 02-26-2022, 08:33 AM

19,133 posts, read 27,760,437 times
Ships looking for submarines? How cute.
Y'all recall one Academic Sakharov? Yes, yes, that Sakharov. Father of the Russian hydrogen bomb, before he married Elena Bonner and she turned him pacifist and dissident.

So, same "peaceful man fighting oppressive government" and so much cherished by the west, even had Nobel prize, had a brilliant idea in his "less peaceful" years.
He proposed to bury a hydrogen bomb, off a submarine, on the USA Atlantic coast. Then, detonate it to create a massive tsunami that will wipe off half of the East coast and inland. Cute idea, huh?

Hey, CALGUY, do you have any assurance that that device WAS NOT PLANTED? Or, even that our then friends from Cuba didn't plant one? Do you feel lucky, or do you? Or, that there is not one off California coast, right above that infamous, forgot its name, cleft under California that, if it explodes, half of the state will go underwater?

Old 02-26-2022, 08:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,868,873 times
Quote:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's time to roll out the "Enola Gay" once again, with one unannounced stop over Moscow.
Unlike Japan in 1945, Russia has the ability to retaliate and vice- versa.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:09 AM

6,927 posts, read 3,980,316 times
Quote:
Not our problem. Until Russia officially declares war on the US, this conflict is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS, and we need to stay the hell out of it. Sticking our noses into the Middle East when it wasn't warranted is what brought on 9/11, and thus the Afghan war. Last thing we need is to instigate another dacades-long conflict.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:22 AM

30,170 posts, read 18,763,147 times
Quote:
That would precipitate a world wide nuclear war.

There are different ways of dealing with this.

1. Continue sending armaments into western Ukraine. Javelins and UK anti-tank missiles are wreaking havoc on Russian armor.
2. Hire mercenaries to go into Ukraine- they are not actually NATO troops, but could function as such without precipitating a war with Russia
3. Stir up anti-war riots in Moscow
4. Close the Bosporous Strait
5. Provide western satellite and intel to Ukraine
6. If Ukraine falls, fund partisans which will make occupation impossible
7. Urge the Pope to recognize an ethnic "Holy War", now that Chechens are being sent. Make it a war of religious ideology.
8. Offer each Russian soldier who surrenders $20,000- use the power of western economies to defeat Putin
9. Provide Ukraine with short range non nuclear tactical missiles that can be directed toward Moscow. Missiles falling on Moscow would be a huge blow to Putin that would raise Russian sentiment against him.
10. Blow up dams on the Don and Dneiper to make the land impassable for further Russian ground troops
11. Blow up Chernobyl, making the northern approaches into Ukraine from Belarus impossible. The prevailing winds blow east and north.

Old 02-26-2022, 09:29 AM

19,929 posts, read 9,494,264 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that would be an absolutely STUPID not to mention inhumane thing to do.

If you want to die, fine, but I think most of the rest of us want to continue to enjoy life as best we can.

And if you think that Russia wouldn't be able to retaliate before a Hiroshima type of nuclear blast occurs, I think you need to read more history -- or, more accurately, political books written after 1970.

The only thing that would work would be an EMP blast as that could happen before a country could retaliate
https://www.wionews.com/world/expert...-attack-432136 but, to emphasize, I don't wish misery on anyone (except for some Democrats I could name but won't).

Last edited by katharsis; 02-26-2022 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies