Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did Russia attack Ukraine?
Because of constant NATO expansion 29 21.01%
Because of failed diplomacy by Biden and other NATO powers 21 15.22%
Russia was putting a stop to a secret biological weapons program in Ukraine 0 0%
Russia wants Ukraine's gas reserves 11 7.97%
Putin is evil and wants to re-establish the Soviet empire 66 47.83%
This is all a giant puppet game, a distraction to revert your eyes from the Covid debacle 11 7.97%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 03:31 PM

6,845 posts, read 3,088,468 times

Advertisements

Did Putin not declare exactly why he invaded? Was it really because Nazis?!

I'd think there would be some formal statement made. Why the guesswork here?

At least with Iraq it's like,..we gonna git Saddam. Or Afghanistan, we gonna git Osama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 03:31 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,759,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If Putin's purpose is to fight the Nazis, why is he randomly bombing apartment buildings? No, I don't think he is worried about some modern day Nazi wannabes in Ukraine.
Apparently only

Belarus
Eritrea
North Korea
Syria

Believe it.

Old 03-02-2022, 03:33 PM

52,406 posts, read 52,919,967 times
I went with the rebuild the Soviet answer, but I think it's really more of a combination of things. That plus he's paranoid about NATO expansion.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:00 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,653,403 times
Putin has longed for the reunification of the USSR for a while now. In his disorganized speech, he even evoked the Russian Empire. He also claimed that Ukraine is not autonomous country.

In reality, the Kyivan-Rus was the seat of the development of Ukrainian and later Russian civilization. This was in Kyiv, not Moscow.

It makes Putin crazy that the Ukrainians are not only not welcoming the Russian invasion, but they are fighting back with bravery and passion, in attempt to preserve their sovereign, democratic country.

Putin is essentially a dictator and a KGB sadist and bully. Another narcissistic psychopath. If Kyiv falls, he will want more. Poland, the Baltic states? Yes. And most likely he will not stop there.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,170,504 times
The poll is missing two options, one should have been "other" and ....... because gas or oil production is not the one and only be-all-to-end-all of natural resources ...... the other option should have been "Putin wants ALL of Ukraine's natural resources".

I would have voted for the natural resources option because the rich dark soil and the vast fields of wheat and so many other food products has resulted in Ukraine having the nickname "bread basket of Europe."

If Putin intends to create a new Russian Empire he will need to be able to feed his empire. Russia is already in trouble because climate change has begun to impact Russia drastically with regard to food production and other resources being destroyed. It's getting worse with every passing year due to such increasingly vast regions of Russia being burned to a crisp every year. And Russia isn't the only country in Europe being impacted by climate change.

Putin might be a madman but he is not a stupid man nor is he lacking in foresight. Putin and his cronies can see the writing on the wall. If he expands his Russian Empire to take possession of Ukraine and other countries in Europe and all of their natural resources and food production resources his empire that he controls could end up overtaking both USA and China and become the #1 top bread basket and food producer of the eastern hemisphere. Russia's Empire could end up controlling the world if more and more countries become dependent on food from there.

That's what I think he wants.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,890,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I think we're all being lied to by the news media. The Spin and Deceit has happened too many times for me not to question what I'm hearing about who's who in this war.

I heard this once on the news, then never again. Putin said (though an interpreter) his intention is to rid the Ukraine of the Nazis. Anyone else hear that?

Then, I saw a NewsMax segment with Michael Savage. He mentioned hearing the same thing, but the reporters interrupted him, trying to shut him up. Why?
Anyone hear that? Savage says the news media is purposely making Zelensky into a hero, and Putin the bad guy, when in fact, none of it is true. Putin, he says, is certainly no saint, but the truth is being twisted before an ignorant public. It's anyone's guess as to why.

Me? I don't know. I'm not there. All I know is this.

Putin hates the Nazis. Always has. It was Russia who helped liberate and close down the Nazi death camps during WW2. Not the Ukraine. It was the Ukrainians, not the Russians, who helped the Nazi run those death camps. They slaughtered millions.

I also haven't forgotten that Zelensky has banned the adult men from the Ukraine from leaving the country. He's making them fight and die. Only the females and children have been allowed to leave.

Man, I just don't believe anything I hear anymore because of years of lying to the public.
The President of Ukraine is Jewish. His great uncles were murdered during the Holocaust.

Under the circumstances, is there a reason why able- bodied males 18-60 should not be willing to defend their country?

About 1.5% of the country , mostly women with children, have evacuated, most to Poland. 98.5% of the population, male and female remain- nearly 45 million people.

Interesting you prefer to believe Putin, a master of propaganda.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:37 PM

8,889 posts, read 4,626,368 times
Why did Russia attack Ukraine? Because Putin knows that Biden is an ineffectual coward, most of Europe will just write a strongly worded apology, and unless the good citizens of Ukraine put up a good fight, it is his for the taking.

These tribal wars have been going in all over the world forever, and are just part of the human condition.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:46 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,808,002 times
Every time I saw Russians blow up/bombing a building, I thought that could be "us" next....thanks to a weak, stupid leader named Biden... that might just happen.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:50 PM

5,081 posts, read 2,764,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Did Putin not declare exactly why he invaded? Was it really because Nazis?!

I'd think there would be some formal statement made. Why the guesswork here?

At least with Iraq it's like,..we gonna git Saddam. Or Afghanistan, we gonna git Osama.
Putin did make a statement on exactly why he sent troops into Ukraine. Many people are ignoring it and have their own notions as to why he did this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.alj...lated-excerpts

Old 03-02-2022, 06:51 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,066,094 times
NATO expansion

If Putin truly evil, he do everything when his BFF Trump in power

Not now with the cray Liberal, SJW, Woke, Democrats, and Militant LGBTQ in charge of USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies