Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 07:10 AM

4,682 posts, read 5,015,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I suggest you go back and re-read what I wrote in relation to under 12's and young people.
I don't care to; I just wanted to correct a false statement. By no means am I saying the rest of what you wrote was wrong. I'm just saying I don't care to read it -- no offense.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:11 AM

2,284 posts, read 641,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Elderly people are more likely to be vulnerable and are more likely to have underlying illnesses.
This doesn't explain why the death rates are the same for those fully vaccinated, and those completely none vaccinated 60-69 cohort!

The most sick people, terminally ill, generally cannot or won't bother getting vaccinated. If you're dying of lung cancer, you give about 0 Fs about COVID.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:13 AM

9,572 posts, read 4,398,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Is he, or are you projecting that onto him?

Read his original post again. All he did was share the 89% statistic. Nothing else.

I know what the base rate fallacy is, and I majored in math. Your condescension is completely misplaced and not appreciated here.
Stop being pedantic. You know perfectly well what he was getting at. If you think stating facts is condescending, you either don't know what the word means or you know you're wrong and are being defensive. Your baseless personal attack is completely misplaced and not appreciated here. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Stop being pedantic. You know perfectly well what he was getting at. If you think stating facts is condescending, you either don't know what the word means or you know you're wrong and are being defensive. Your baseless personal attack is completely misplaced and not appreciated here. Pot. Kettle. Black.
What personal attack? What are you talking about?

If the OP was a test to see if a simply calculated and true statistic, shared without comment, would get people to rush madly to defend the vaccines and do stupid things like condescend about base rate fallacy to a math major, then, needless to say, you failed.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:18 AM

78,791 posts, read 60,996,406 times
Variables to consider should definitely include:
-Vaxx status
-Cause of death

perhaps a few more that escape me. At a minimum, if you're leaving any of the above 4 out you're building a sandcastle argument at low tide.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:20 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,448,987 times
Quote:
Is he, or are you projecting that onto him?

Read his original post again. All he did was share the 89% statistic. Nothing else.

I know what the base rate fallacy is, and I majored in math. Your condescension is completely misplaced and not appreciated here.
Ah, the anti-vaxx edition of "Hey, I'm just asking questions!"

Old 03-03-2022, 07:21 AM

509 posts, read 353,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
It's quite hilarious. We have the vaccine radicals citing raw, unadjusted data when they think it shows vaccine efficacy, such as whatever dashboard your state uses! But when the OP uses NHS data, you girls scream bloody murder.
Did you see table 13 from the OP's link? It shows the unvaccinated were far more likely to die across every age group.

This thread is actually a scary example of how challenging it is to communicate complex information. The link provided in the OP is 58 pages long, I bet almost no one responding here read it in its entirety. At first, I just went to table 12a because the OP stated that was where to find the 89% figure.

Then some of the posts here inspired me go back to the document and read more of it. That's when I found table 13, which shows a clear difference in death rate between those who were vaccinated and those who were not. If we are supposed to find table 12a meaningful, shouldn't we assign the same credibility to table 13 from the very same document?

Old 03-03-2022, 07:21 AM

9,572 posts, read 4,398,964 times
Quote:
What personal attack? What are you talking about?

If the OP was a test to see if a simply calculated and true statistic, shared without comment, would get people to rush to defend the vaccines and do stupid things like condescend about base rate fallacy to a math major. Needless to say, you failed.
Calling someone condescending is an insult.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Ah, the anti-vaxx edition of "Hey, I'm just asking questions!"
Perhaps. But people create the conditions for threads like these when they say things like "90% of people dying are unvaccinated, and that's true everywhere" (I've actually heard that one!).

So of course, when there's a piece of evidence that falsifies that, it will be pointed out.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:24 AM

27,441 posts, read 13,673,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
This doesn't explain why the death rates are the same for those fully vaccinated, and those completely none vaccinated 60-69 cohort!

The most sick people, terminally ill, generally cannot or won't bother getting vaccinated. If you're dying of lung cancer, you give about 0 Fs about COVID.
The vulnerable and eldery were a priority in terms of the vaccine, and were vaccinated first, and well before any one else.

Those not taking up the vaccine have been mainly under 12's who do not require the vaccine and young people, as pointed out in the article below.

As for Covid it's not even a problem in the UK any more, there are now no masks and no restrictions what so ever.

As many as 6 million eligible Britons may not have had a Covid jab. Who are they? - The Guardian

This thread sounds like some Americans trying to twist data in other countries to back up their own narrative, which is what has been done in the past in relation to guns and universal healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies