Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In regards to Russia, is the president doing...
REPUBLICAN - TOO MUCH 12 9.92%
REPUBLICAN - TOO LITTLE 53 43.80%
REPUBLICAN - JUST RIGHT 16 13.22%
DEMOCRAT - TOO MUCH 3 2.48%
DEMOCRAT - TOO LITTLE 13 10.74%
DEMOCRAT - JUST RIGHT 24 19.83%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 01:38 PM

57,399 posts, read 26,450,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
He's half dead. What do you expect out of someone in his condition?
This is what you get when power hungry and corrupt people trot out a candidate for president who couldn't possibly be more unqualified for the job.
We were in much better shape when Orange Man Bad was in the driver's seat. Putin wouldn't have dared pull this stunt.
Quite a story but Putin wanted Trump to get re-elected and knew he was no fan of NATO, but go on with your belief that this would have never happened under Trump, maybe he would have Tweeted him to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 02:20 PM

2,944 posts, read 1,188,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Quite a story but Putin wanted Trump to get re-elected and knew he was no fan of NATO, but go on with your belief that this would have never happened under Trump, maybe he would have Tweeted him to death.
With all due respect, this is a pretty simplistic response. While Trump was no fan of NATO, this world definitely knew where he stood on matters and he kept Putin and the Russian army at bay, together with the leaders of North Korea and China.
I certainly will stand by my belief. I don't know Trump any more than I suspect you know Putin and what's in his head, but one thing is certain: the world is a lot less stable and more dangerous than it was on January 20, 2021.
Enjoy your evening.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:08 PM

102,433 posts, read 108,813,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Oil and gas industry received $10 billion in Covid relief payouts.

In 2021, private oil and gas industry had 10 years worth of unused leases. Why?

Why has the oil and gas industry stockpiled leases and permits to use Federal lands?

Oil and gas industry sitting on more than 9000 unused, approved permits. Why?
Some sources of oil are too expensive to exploit while prices are down. Now that prices are coming back up, companies may start exploiting what they regard as more marginal sources. In some cases, for example, the oil is too viscous, or it may be difficult to access due to geology, depth, or whatever reason.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:14 PM

798 posts, read 509,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
too little. We need to military invade the capital, , decapitate the regime, and get special forces in there, since NATO will do nothing. His generals won't press the nuclear button once they sense a superpower invasion. They want that nut gone too. As do most russians. You cut the head off the snake. You dont chop its tail.

If we just sit by, today its Ukraine tomorrow its all of Europe. Then you have a bigger problem. You dont negotiate, you dont reason with nuts and sociopaths. You ever watch Stephen King's The Stand. Yea...

Crazy people do NOT change. They just want more power. Sociopaths don't become angels. they just continue to make life hell for everyone. And if you give them a green light "Oh I can destroy more crap" they will. There is no rehabilitating these people. Sorry to say. And you cant talk sense to them either. Since they don't response to sense.

I have a lifetime's worth of experience of dealing with nutjob people and sociopaths with no conscience , and I can uniquivicably say they will never change. They need to be removed from power

Old 03-05-2022, 07:14 PM

Speaking of what Biden has done so far, I just came across this article today. There was a meeting at the beginning of the Russian invasion of Ukraine of NATO leaders and Biden. Biden got everyone to mobilize along NATO's eastern borders.

Quote:
The day after Russian tanks and troops poured across the Ukrainian border on Feb. 24, NATO leaders received a deeply frightening message. The alliance’s secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, opened an emergency video summit by warning that President Vladimir V. Putin had “shattered peace in Europe†[...]

However unlikely, Mr. Stoltenberg told the leaders, it was no longer unthinkable that Mr. Putin would attack a NATO member. Such a move would trigger the collective defense clause in the North Atlantic Treaty, opening the door to the ultimate nightmare scenario: a direct military conflict with Russia.

President Biden, who had dialed in from the White House Situation Room, spoke up swiftly. Article 5 was “sacrosanct,†he said, referring to the “one for all, all for one†principle that has anchored NATO since its founding after World War II. Mr. Biden urged allied leaders to step up and send reinforcements to Europe’s eastern flank, according to multiple officials briefed on the call.

Within hours, NATO had mobilized its rapid response force, a kind of military SWAT team, for the first time in history to deter an enemy. It was one in an avalanche of precedent-shattering moves, unfolding in ministries and boardrooms from Washington to London and Brussels to Berlin.
More, at: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/05/w...sanctions.html

Maybe Daryl G earlier in the thread was right. I don't know what "eastern flank" means, exactly. Does it mean there are NATO troops along Poland's border with Ukraine, and Romania's, along with Hungary's and Slovakia's? Or that they're amassing in the capitals, ready to deploy? More info needed.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-05-2022 at 07:33 PM..

Old 03-05-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
too little. We need to military invade the capital, , decapitate the regime, and get special forces in there, since NATO will do nothing. His generals won't press the nuclear button once they sense a superpower invasion. They want that nut gone too. As do most russians. You cut the head off the snake. You dont chop its tail.
Actually, you don't cut its head off, because 3 more will grow back in its place. You strike at the heart. Presto: one dead serpent! Unfortunately, that only happens in fairy tales.

He probably has a protocol in peace for if Moscow (including the Kremlin) gets invaded. Like our Presidents do. He'd have a bunker or an escape hatch of some sort. It wouldn't be that easy to get close to him. And the Kremlin is an ancient fort. It would be easy for the army to defend it. The White House doesn't have anything like that.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-05-2022 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-05-2022, 10:20 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,048,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Those who think we should do more should listen to this guy. He has a very unpopular view, and has been absent from any further interviews by the MSM.

His opinions are hard to accept, but it's a cold and sober take on the reality of things.

2:58 for the straight dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY5pMXGorBM
I think this guy absolutely hit the nail on the head.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:31 PM

170 posts, read 60,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Biden is doing too little, and what little he is doing should have been done a couple months ago. If he had taken stronger actions sooner, maybe Ukraine and the world wouldn't be in the mess it's in today.
"MAYBE this or maybe that, we dont know, putin is dead on ukraine, so i doubt sanction gonna stop him early or later

Old 03-05-2022, 10:55 PM

32,314 posts, read 15,261,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
With all due respect, this is a pretty simplistic response. While Trump was no fan of NATO, this world definitely knew where he stood on matters and he kept Putin and the Russian army at bay, together with the leaders of North Korea and China.
I certainly will stand by my belief. I don't know Trump any more than I suspect you know Putin and what's in his head, but one thing is certain: the world is a lot less stable and more dangerous than it was on January 20, 2021.
Enjoy your evening.
Trump admired Putin and put him first over our allies. He believed his word over his own intelligence, which is a first for a president. And he's still praising him today. He didn't keep Putin at bay. Putin seemed to keep him at bay by all the praise. Do you really think Putin was scared of Trump. Why is that.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:54 AM

4,549 posts, read 6,847,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
We could ban russian oil and ramp up our own.
How would you propose we ramp up independent companies in a free market? The price per barrel will result in US companies bringing more oil wells they purposely paused during 2020/2021 back on line for business reasons. Are you proposing the reinstitution of the ban on exporting domestically-produced oil? Should we pay oil companies to keep it in the country? Would you support price controls? If so, who pays for the subsidy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies