Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 03:09 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,605,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
With gas prices going up, I'm likely going to be driving for Door Dash as a side gig.

be careful. i delivered pizza a decade ago and its almost fun, i was always glad to leave the chaos of the kitchen lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 03:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,523,869 times
Those who make 100K may have high student loan in 6 figures,think law school and MBA programs.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:23 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,642,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
More and more people are feeling the Bidenflation pinch, but how in the hell can nearly half of those earning $100,000+ barely keep their heads above water?

https://thehill.com/changing-america...00k-are-living
Like Biden and the Democrats always ram down your throats. THEY ARE for the poor and middle class. Must make at least $100,000+ a year to qualify.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:23 PM

19,891 posts, read 9,442,687 times
Well, we are now retired so we no longer have a (barely) six-figure income, but I can easily see why many people in the $100k-$150k income range are feeling the pinch now IF they have two newer vehicles, recently bought a new middle-class home, and have two school-age children!

Back then (way before Biden took office), we were not living paycheck to paycheck, but if prices had gone up 10% (and from everything I have read, that is pretty much the actual inflation since twelve months ago), my husband and I would definitely have not saved anything -- and if we had any major unexpected expenses back then (meaning something that cost more than a thousand dollars or so), we would either have had to go into our savings or go into credit card debt, which is something we have not had for about 25 years now.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-04-2022 at 03:40 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Yes what part of the country you live in does make a difference. But so does how you spend the money. I got married in 1972 and by 1980 we had 3 kids and one income. All our furniture and household items were hand me downs from family. Our first house was a fixer upper and the interest rate on the mortgage was 12%. Clothes for kids were passed around between friends. We owned 2 old paid for cars and often only one was running. When I didn’t have a car during the day the kids and I rode the bus.

We didn’t eat out and had no debt other than the mortgage. Vacation was driving 1k miles to stay with family. We always had a emergency fund and saved for retirement. We fixed up our house ourselves as we could afford it. I still remember how thrilled I was to buy my first new couch in 1982 and new small car with no options but a radio in 1985. The kids were in scouts and local recreational sports. No one wants to live within their means anymore until they can afford nicer things like we did and our parents before us.

These kinds of posts from older people never get old.

Younger people just don't get it -- and, of course, I am speaking generally. Until both my kids were in school full-time, we were a one-income family, and we certainly were not rich by U.S. standards.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:02 PM

1,151 posts, read 454,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
This is not always true. If the equation is right, employers eat profit loss rather than going out of business/profit abolishment. It's a function of the supply/demand curve and the percentage of costs coming from labor at all points of production vs raw material cost. If what you say is true, then the wage/COL ratio would invariably be improved by everyone taking wage cuts (all the way to zero?). Fortunately, it's all corporate propaganda BS. There is some truth to your statement, but it's not that simple. Rather, a complex equation.
Why would an employer "eat profit loss"? That profit is the employer's pay. Why would an employer take the loss in pay rather than the employee? Over my nearly seventy years I have owned many businesses. This included one that was international. I have employed countless employees over the years. I know hundreds of very successful business owners. I assure you no successful business owner is going to voluntarily take a pay cut.

Their options are:

1. Raise prices and pass increased cost to the consumer.
2. Lower wages
3. Sell the business to someone willing to pay for and operate the business at a lower profit margin.
4. Liquidate the business.
5 Business owners who are unable to walk away, may take a pay cut, but not if they can help it.
6. Declare bankruptcy and move on.

People believe any profit is good enough for the business owner. This is not true. The amount of profit must:

1. Justify the financial investment in the business.
2. Justify the time the owner must devote to the business.
3. Justify the long term risk of financial loss due to lawsuits, hazardous materials, changes in regulations and many other factors.

Just as no employee will work at an absurd low wage, no businessman/woman is going to invest large amounts of time and money for a small profit. Maybe a a small business owner heavily in debt and unable to walk away would choose option 5, but a successful owner of a large business owner will not. They will retire or liquidate and find another business venture. You haven't lived until you try to sell a big business making small profits, which is why large companies often close. Finally the financially strapped small business owner is not likely to have many employees.

I would never invest my money in a business that paid me the same amount of money as my employees. I go get a job working for someone else and let my employer have the stress of the financial investment and operation of the business if I was just going to make employee wages. Business ownership is hard and stressful work.

Higher wages mean higher prices or closed businesses almost 100% of the time.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:06 PM

43,305 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
More and more people are feeling the Bidenflation pinch, but how in the hell can nearly half of those earning $100,000+ barely keep their heads above water?

Because they go into deep debt to get their "bling". CC debt surged in 2021 as people came out of pandemic hiding and they spent like drunken sailors.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Why would an employer "eat profit loss"? That profit is the employer's pay. Why would an employer take the loss in pay rather than the employee? Over my nearly seventy years I have owned many businesses. This included one that was international. I have employed countless employees over the years. I know hundreds of very successful business owners. I assure you no successful business owner is going to voluntarily take a pay cut.

The movie, "Company Men" was an eye-opener for me. Great cast, btw.

"Hell, it's a business, not a charity."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2b74WX3cfM

Old 03-04-2022, 05:12 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,317,413 times
Quote:

some people believe everything they read.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:12 PM

21,988 posts, read 9,569,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am sitting here watching the news that is reporting the huge unprecedented demand for spring break travel, despite inflation. Miami, Orlando, the Gulf Coast and Hawaii are the hot spots.

Due to demand, lodging prices in some areas have doubled.

Spring break includes families with children, not just young adults.

According to this, nearly 40% plan to travel during Spring Break, up from 29% in 2021. Vbror reporting a nearly 50% increase in demand compared to 2021.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-mask-mandates
I honestly think if people knew how bad inflation was about to get, they wouldn't be traveling so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies