Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2022, 01:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,884,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Anyone else find it puzzling how big corporations are enjoying record profits? Any story on inflation that doesn't mention this is not telling you the full truth.

Container shipping company profits during the first 9 months of 2021 = $80 billion. All of 2010-2020 was $38 billion.

"Man, those supply-chain problems and inflation is just killing us"

The company that makes Jeep and Ram trucks sold 3% more makes vehicles, profits up more than 100% because they raised the price of cars.

Colgate-Palmolive: "we are forced to raise prices" while they increased stock buy-backs for investors and execs by 50% last year to over $1 billion, revenue at record highs and their CEO makes $14.4 million per year.

Kroger profits are at record highs. it's stock is up 36%. CEO got 45% raise to $22 million. Many of Krogers workers can't pay their bills and are on food stamps.

I can go on and on. Look at any nearly big corporation and it's the same story.

Why are groceries so expensive? Corporate greed, that's why.
CEOs of publicly traded corporations have one primary responsibility- increase shareholder value. If this CEO can’t, he/ she will be replaced ( with a parachute) with another who shows better promise.

That some employees can’t live on their wage is not a CEOs problem unless / until it impacts the bottom line.

Industrial robotics and technology substitution has eliminated far more jobs since the 70’s than offshoring did.

Self checkout technology continues to improve and investment increasingly makes business sense. Consumers are getting used to performing the job functions of former cashiers and baggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 01:37 PM

52,393 posts, read 52,909,163 times
I'm right near 100k. We live paycheck to paycheck. How are we defining that exactly?

We have about ten months of savings. Read somewhere that 48% of people have less than 1k of savings.

That is the real issue really. How much you make is only a percentage of the deal.

We save, we never make impulse buys and we put living more frugally at the forefront. Thats how you do it.

People making 50k a yr trying to live large just ain't cutting it.

I'd rather look broke and have a cushion then trying to bling out.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:39 PM

30,298 posts, read 11,944,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've had the opposite experience. Being able to buy everything that I need and just about all that I want has been wonderful and created way fewer problems for me

Sounds like you can afford these things. That is fine. If someone is stressed out paying for their necessities because they have overspent on things they really don't need. That is a problem.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:19 PM

4,417 posts, read 9,162,357 times
I can't understand it. 100,000 is 2,000 a week. I could see myself spending maybe 400 a week and banking the rest. Chances are I'd only spend like 200.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:25 PM

4,594 posts, read 2,314,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I can't understand it. 100,000 is 2,000 a week. I could see myself spending maybe 400 a week and banking the rest. Chances are I'd only spend like 200.
$400 a week for everything? Like mortgage, insurance, car payment/insurance, electric, phone, water, food, medical care, clothes? How? And how could you spend half of that?

Old 03-05-2022, 02:26 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,119,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. There's no need for taxpayer-funded public assistance programs.
Are you referring to the student loan ?

Isn't that the only 'assistance' programs still valid.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:28 PM

30,298 posts, read 11,944,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
$400 a week for everything? Like mortgage, insurance, car payment/insurance, electric, phone, water, food, medical care, clothes? How? And how could you spend half of that?
Off the top pay cash for your car. If that means you can only buy an old car. Well that tells you, you are doing a bad job saving up money.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:38 PM

89,415 posts, read 45,120,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Anyone else find it puzzling how big corporations are enjoying record profits? Any story on inflation that doesn't mention this is not telling you the full truth.

Container shipping company profits during the first 9 months of 2021 = $80 billion. All of 2010-2020 was $38 billion.

"Man, those supply-chain problems and inflation is just killing us"

The company that makes Jeep and Ram trucks sold 3% more makes vehicles, profits up more than 100% because they raised the price of cars.

Colgate-Palmolive: "we are forced to raise prices" while they increased stock buy-backs for investors and execs by 50% last year to over $1 billion, revenue at record highs and their CEO makes $14.4 million per year.

Kroger profits are at record highs. it's stock is up 36%. CEO got 45% raise to $22 million. Many of Krogers workers can't pay their bills and are on food stamps.

I can go on and on. Look at any nearly big corporation and it's the same story.

Why are groceries so expensive? Corporate greed, that's why.
Kroger's profit margin is only 1.52%. A lot of you have NO clue of which you speak. /smh

Old 03-05-2022, 03:41 PM

19,105 posts, read 12,797,859 times
that just means 48% are stupid

Old 03-05-2022, 08:50 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,415,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump campaigned in 2015-6 on a platform of repealing and REPLACING Obamacare with something wonderful that was going to take care of everybody and the government would pay for it and did so for political gain. There was no daylight between Trump’s and Bernie’s intention beyond Bernie had a clue what it would cost.

Between the 2020 Election Day and Trump’s inauguration, something happened. Trump never mentioned healthcare during his inaugural address. Shortly after he let loose with “ no one knew how complicated healthcare is”.

Neither his 2 Secretary HHS or Congress were able to come up with an alternative to replace that ensured preexisting conditions would continue to be covered and reduce everyone’s premiums

Trump’s “Right to Try” EO got a lot of media attention. It should have been called “Right to Ask” no diff than what historically existed. Nothing compels any pharma company, MD or hospital to try.

Trump was able to eliminate the tax consequence associated with a filer’s failure to have healthcare insurance- thus neutralizing the mandate. Of course most who had chosen to not comply with the mandate chose to not disclose on their tax filing or don’t have taxable income.

Some states wanted to buy certain Medicaid meds from Canada, long supported by Democrats. The Trump Admin finally gave the OK, via EO. Guess no one thought to check with Canada because it’s drug distributors representing all suppliers declined, citing shortages. Prescription meds are independent of Canada’s Universal Healthcare. Canadian employers tend to offer medication insurance to employees as a benefit or people buy a private insurance plan.

In 2018, Congress finally approved on a bipartisan basis 2 bills to neutralize legacy gag orders that existed between pharmacies and benefit managers. As I understand it, if a consumer asks about less costly alternatives, the pharmacy must disclose.

Lastly, in 2020 Trump signed an EO to eliminate “ surprise” medical billing, when providers were independent of a hospital system’s network. Some states and some hospital had previously addressed this.

Subsequent, Congress took bipartisan action to require all hospital providers to be a part of the hospital’s network.

What Trump’s rhetoric did do was change the GOP narrative from simple repeal to repeal and replace and got most legislators onboard with insuring preexisting conditions without a change in premium. Good, bad or ugly, it seems to have compelled Congress to work together and make very simple improvements.
Lets be clear because you are trying to muddy the facts - it is not the President's job to fix healthcare.

The presidential power comes 3 ways, the power of the pulpit (try to Convince others), the power of the pen (veto and executive action) and the power of enforcement (Attorney General and policy implementation by departments).

He used the pulpit by encouraging congress to take action among other things.

Trump did sign an executive order just hours after inauguration that directed HHS and other federal agencies with responsibilities under the ACA "shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to waive, defer, grant exemptions from or delay implementation of any provision or requirement that would impose a fiscal burden on any state or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers".

He also signed legislation to remove the Mandate part of the ACA. He could not sign repeal and replace because it passed the house but failed in the senate by a single vote (McCain).

The AG did try to get ACA repealed but was deemed a tax by the supreme court. HHS took actions against the ACA - reduced advertising and money for state exchanges, cut enrollment period, cut ACA subsidies and with mandate gone, allowed cheaper insurance that did not need to meet the same standards - basically it is gutted under the hood.

These are actions that can point to, not just opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies