Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 08:29 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,817,107 times

Advertisements

I was looking at rental prices in my area and $3000 per month for a 3 bedroom house has become the norm. These are not fancy houses either. I can see how a family could struggle making $100K per year if they live in a high cost area and don’t already own a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 08:30 AM

25,888 posts, read 16,605,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
it has gotten totally out of control -- EVERYONE is price gouging.

It cost more for my cats ultrasound than it cost for MY ultrasound.
Cats are replaceable. I would pay exactly 0$ for a cat ultrasound

Old 03-06-2022, 08:36 AM

19,948 posts, read 9,511,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I was looking at rental prices in my area and $3000 per month for a 3 bedroom house has become the norm. These are not fancy houses either. I can see how a family could struggle making $100K per year if they live in a high cost area and don’t already own a home.
I have been saying for many years that the dividing line between rich and poor will be those who own their own homes and those who don't.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:40 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,817,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have been saying for many years that the dividing line between rich and poor will be those who own their own homes and those who don't.

I think you’re right. I’m glad we bought when we did and really feel for those who are renting. I know quite a few families who are looking to move to lower cost of living areas. It’s just gotten crazy.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:59 AM

1,612 posts, read 882,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
WE are at 3.8% employment......that whole vaccine mandate has had zero impact on employment. Those people left and got others jobs not requiring mandates.

EVERY industry is seeing a shortage of workers -- vaccine or not.

So you think American oil producers aren't producing oil because Trump was pro-oil and Democrats are anti-oil?

You're incorrect. Vaccine mandates are still limiting some individuals. My company for example has left the vax mandate in place for new hires, despite NOT mandating boosters for current employees (so my J&J from April 2021 still counts as being "fully vaccinated"). I've talked to several hiring managers with openings and it's causing about 40% of otherwise qualified external applicants to drop out of consideration. Just one of many things preventing a "return to normal."

The vax mandate (which I strongly disagree with) did personally help me. It created open positions (through terminations) that people were able to take advantage of and also limited external candidates (see above). I was able to score a promotion as were several other long term employees I know. Things have not been this good for internal candidates in years. Recently, leadership also mentioned in an all hands meeting for my division that their goal was to foster internal training and skills growth and deemphasize credentialism and college degrees. That was damn refreshing.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:00 AM

1,612 posts, read 882,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
I generally feel the same way. But I want to pay the $2000 vet bill for my girlfriends cat. I could’ve cared less about the damn cat, but it helped ease my girlfriends anxiety which is the only reason why I paid it. If it was my cat, I’d be spending a little less money on cat food after a while.

Humans are in fact replaceable as well. Would you feel the same about one of them?

Old 03-06-2022, 09:08 AM

16,777 posts, read 8,258,413 times
Sounds like they do not know how to budget. They also waste a lot of money on pets. Makes raising children look cheaper.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:09 AM

8,402 posts, read 4,403,300 times
Anyone barely getting by on 100K is living above their means and only have themselves to blame. That's 8.3 k a month.

A 2.5k house payment and two $500 car payments is a pretty nice middle class standard of living. That leaves 5k a month left over for everything else. If you are barely getting by, you seriously need to reconsider your life style.

I will concede that if you are living in some areas like NYC or most of California, the rules are different but its your choice to live there.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:13 PM

10,827 posts, read 5,755,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Anyone barely getting by on 100K is living above their means and only have themselves to blame. That's 8.3 k a month.

A 2.5k house payment and two $500 car payments is a pretty nice middle class standard of living. That leaves 5k a month left over for everything else. If you are barely getting by, you seriously need to reconsider your life style.

I will concede that if you are living in some areas like NYC or most of California, the rules are different but its your choice to live there.
A 100k salary doesn’t provide one with 8.3k spendable every month. You seriously need to reconsider your assumptions.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 03-06-2022 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Beaten by 15 minutes by Redsoxrob.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:25 PM

31,339 posts, read 14,369,447 times
Of course $100k in NYC or California isn't the same as $100k in flyover country but even so, if you can't make it on $100k a year you're spending too much money and/or you've taken on too much debt (and yes, house debt counts!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies