Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 01:52 PM

37,183 posts, read 42,378,287 times

Advertisements

I live in a high COL area and even I couldn't understand this myself until someone pointed out the cost of childcare to me. So many people were doing pretty good so they decided to have a kid or two then watched their rent and everything else shoot up far more than anyone could anticipate over the last few years while their incomes didn't. Many people did plan and budget and make choices they thought were sound, they just didn't account for the events of the last couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 02:01 PM

89,507 posts, read 45,203,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
That’s $8,300 a month, before taxes. The actual net pay is several thousand dollars below that. Still a good salary, but lets not make it sound like they’re actually bringing home $8,300.
Exactly. Subtract at least 1/3 of that for federal and state income tax plus payroll tax.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Of course $100k in NYC or California isn't the same as $100k in flyover country but even so, if you can't make it on $100k a year you're spending too much money and/or you've taken on too much debt (and yes, house debt counts!).
Exactly. Never ever buy a home that costs more than 2-3 times your annual income.

Take out a 30 year loan if you must, but make sure the mortgage has no prepayment penalty and pay more towards the principal whenever you can.

Buying cars works the same way. Sometimes you can get a better deal if you finance up front because the dealer gets kickbacks for steering buyers to preferred lenders, but again make sure there's no prepayment penalty and pay off the loan as soon as you can.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:16 PM

2,335 posts, read 821,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I live in a high COL area and even I couldn't understand this myself until someone pointed out the cost of childcare to me. So many people were doing pretty good so they decided to have a kid or two then watched their rent and everything else shoot up far more than anyone could anticipate over the last few years while their incomes didn't. Many people did plan and budget and make choices they thought were sound, they just didn't account for the events of the last couple years.
Ceece,

You do realize that some areas had their rents drop during the pandemic?

2020 figures for some select cities

San Francisco down 27%
New York down 21%
Seattle down 20%
Boston down 19%
Washington DC down 14%
Arlington down 14%
Chicago down 12%

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental...d-past-decade/

Looking at the start of 2020, and using San Francisco, the average rent was $3680. If that rent went down by 27%, it dropped to $2686.

The current average is $3244. So in this case, the headline would read....rents increase by 20% in just 2 years in San Francisco! And you'll get lots of Henny Pennys losing their minds. In reality, it's hasn't completely rebounded from the previous highs. Many of the cities on the list above would be in that situation.

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...san-francisco/

If someone lost a job, of course that would impact things regardless of the current situation. But aside that, I'm not buying your comment about "rent and everything else". That analysis falls flat on many high COL areas when you take into consideration the time frame of these last 2 1/2 to 3 years. You can't tell me many people planned and budgeted and made choices they thought were sound if the rents aren't as high as they were at the end of 2019.

Obviously there are areas where this wouldn't apply (Portland and Austin for example). But let's not pretend that this is the case everywhere (those are some pretty major metroplexes above).

You might also look at the same analysis with inflation (not all that much over the same time span....1.2%, 4.8%, and 7%).

Old 03-06-2022, 02:20 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,172,340 times
The feds (and DFL) LOVE inflation. It funds their social programs.
Until we vote in a correction, expect inflation to run amok.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:26 PM

92 posts, read 28,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. Never ever buy a home that costs more than 2-3 times your annual income.

Take out a 30 year loan if you must, but make sure the mortgage has no prepayment penalty and pay more towards the principal whenever you can.

Buying cars works the same way. Sometimes you can get a better deal if you finance up front because the dealer gets kickbacks for steering buyers to preferred lenders, but again make sure there's no prepayment penalty and pay off the loan as soon as you can.
Houses: 100% agree with you, but there is no way that can be happening in most cases- which makes me nervous we are headed for a house dump when people lose a job or have repairs/replacements they cannot afford.
I don’t know how people sleep at night without a year’s living expenses in liquid savings, but most don’t care.
We know of family and friends who are buying $400,000 -475,000 houses here in the Midwest on $80,000- 100,000 salaries.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieL43 View Post
Houses: 100% agree with you, but there is no way that can be happening in most cases- which makes me nervous we are headed for a house dump when people lose a job or have repairs/replacements they cannot afford.
I don’t know how people sleep at night without a year’s living expenses in liquid savings, but most don’t care.
We know of family and friends who are buying $400,000 -475,000 houses here in the Midwest on $80,000- 100,000 salaries.
They're buying more than they can afford. And after the 2008 mortgage meltdown, why in the hell are lenders even green-lighting such loans? I'll tell you why... The loan originators don't hold onto the loans. Most mortgages are sold to Fannie and Freddie. Now it's the taxpayers' problem again when mortgage loans default.

In 2020, F&F bought 62% of all mortgages sold on the secondary market. That's up from the 39% leading up to the 2008 mortgage meltdown.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:57 PM

779 posts, read 428,858 times
I'd venture a guess that many of the folks making $100k+ and living paycheck to paycheck couldn't tell you where all that money is going.

When your income is lower the necessity to live on a budget is more present. You have to know where every penny is going and follow it strictly. If you don't you are going to wind up bankrupt, homeless, or both.

Mid to high income people can get into trouble by feeling like they make enough to "not have to worry about money". But things add up quickly. I make $100k, I can afford the nicer car. I can afford 7 different streaming services. The newest iPhone. Going out to eat 4 times a week. Ordering $25-50 items on Amazon 4 times a week. And so on. Next thing you know you're still making $100k but freaking out because your car broke down and you will have to max out your credit card to get it fixed.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 5,039,318 times
The worst numbers has the inflation rate at 7.5% so they now make the equivalent of 92.5k, doesnt seem like they should not be able to manage.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:08 PM

22,129 posts, read 9,694,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No one knows, with certainty, how bad inflation will be or for how long.

Some are optimistic it is short- lived while others pessimistic.
Every indication is that it will go up...a lot. Fertilizer is in short supply, gas prices continue to increase which drives up the cost of everything. There is no indication hinting at anything that will cause it to decrease any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies