Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 07:58 AM

11,141 posts, read 4,801,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
No not everyone is doing better.

It is true that I don’t personally have anyone in my family or circle that would have a hard time with eggs and bread increasing by 2 dollars a week. Factually, my egg and bread budget has not increased by $2. The eggs are 4 the milk is 4- and that has been consistent as long as I remember. That is for brown extra large eggs and sourdough bread from the bakery counter. If it were a burden, I could switch brands and pay less by half or bake my own bread. These are my actual, every week numbers for bread and eggs. The price for my brand of milk - skim plus is also 4-5. EVery single week, I buy the same products, no matter where I live around the country. And I travel a lot and go to many grocery stores. Midtown Nyc and west Los Angeles prices are higher than just about anywhere else I shop- maybe $1 more in total but even there I have options if I was looking to save in those neighborhoods too.
How much did you pay for eggs and bread this week? How much did you pay last year? Please post your real life actual item amounts,
Lots of generalizing about how hard it is, but I don’t see much actual numbers historically being presented.
I spend an inordinate amount of time in grocery stores, cook a ton and entertain a ton so I know prices.
Also, I walk almost everywhere so gas prices don’t effect me as much as others. Same with most in my circle, we walk a lot and are not as car dependent. Also, no one is overweight, mostly because of the walking and food choices - and my healthy cooking!
As far as homeless, yes that number is increasing but that represents a small (albeit obvious) percentage of americans. And the reason for homeless is not always or even frequently economic. Common reasons for homelessness is mental illness and drug addiction, which are both increasing at a much much much higher rate than poverty.

with all due respect, I do not think you are grasping this whole 'inflation' concept so much.

EVERYBODY, including you, is paying more for every item.
NOBODY, including you, is paying less.

Every raise you did or did not get is eaten into such that it is no longer what you think it is.

And if all those jobs you enumerated are not tech jobs, automation, which has accelerated 10 fold the last 2 years, is your enemy. Companies are going to recoup those labor costs.

Anything else, is tone deaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 08:16 AM

6,506 posts, read 2,809,509 times
Quote:
You would not believe the financial analysis I do every January on my spending habits.
It is ridiculously detailed and my spreadsheet has tabs going back 10 years. I can tell you down to less than $100 what i spend at the grocery store, at the liquor store, at restaurants, for entertaining, for gas, for tolls, for airfare…
My food budget has remained consistent for 3 years.
I am paying more attention to my spending, in a more detailed and analytic way, than most of the posters here.
Want to know what my annual grocery spend is?
Your "spend" is one thing...what you are getting with the "spend" is another and that is what the ones playing the "Well it doesn't affect me" card doesn't seem to get.

From your previous post, you say you just buy cheaper brands. What happens where there is no longer a "cheaper" brand to buy and the costs go up? Do you then buy less? If eggs went up $2, what do you give up to make up for that $2 difference?

Are you sure you are getting the same amount? As one trick that companies use(and have always done) is to keep the costs the "same" they reduce the amount of product you get. A 12oz package of pasta may now be 11.5oz. Sure the price is the same but you have just lost 0.5 ounces. Does your spreadsheet go down to that level?

Now to save a few extra dollars instead of popping into my local gas station(that is currently $5.49/gallon and just a couple of weeks ago was $4.79/gallon), I have to go down to Costco, spend 15 minutes in line to pay $4.79/gallon. Sure my "spend" is exactly what it was a few weeks ago, but I am having to spend a lot more time to get the same rate. Does your spreadsheet account for the extra effort it takes to keep the costs the same?

Old 03-05-2022, 08:22 AM

973 posts, read 418,489 times
Quote:
No not everyone is doing better.

It is true that I don’t personally have anyone in my family or circle that would have a hard time with eggs and bread increasing by 2 dollars a week. Factually, my egg and bread budget has not increased by $2. The eggs are 4 the milk is 4- and that has been consistent as long as I remember. That is for brown extra large eggs and sourdough bread from the bakery counter. If it were a burden, I could switch brands and pay less by half or bake my own bread. These are my actual, every week numbers for bread and eggs. The price for my brand of milk - skim plus is also 4-5. EVery single week, I buy the same products, no matter where I live around the country. And I travel a lot and go to many grocery stores. Midtown Nyc and west Los Angeles prices are higher than just about anywhere else I shop- maybe $1 more in total but even there I have options if I was looking to save in those neighborhoods too.
How much did you pay for eggs and bread this week? How much did you pay last year? Please post your real life actual item amounts,
Lots of generalizing about how hard it is, but I don’t see much actual numbers historically being presented.
I spend an inordinate amount of time in grocery stores, cook a ton and entertain a ton so I know prices.
Also, I walk almost everywhere so gas prices don’t effect me as much as others. Same with most in my circle, we walk a lot and are not as car dependent. Also, no one is overweight, mostly because of the walking and food choices - and my healthy cooking!
As far as homeless, yes that number is increasing but that represents a small (albeit obvious) percentage of americans. And the reason for homeless is not always or even frequently economic. Common reasons for homelessness is mental illness and drug addiction, which are both increasing at a much much much higher rate than poverty.
A year ago I would pick salmon up at $12.99 lb at the local shop.....last weekend it was $16.99 lb. Container of cherry tomato's was $4.99 and now $6.99, Lettuce was $5.99, now $7.49. Organic whole milk was $4.99 container and is now $5.99 and is less than a 1 gal container. Just a fef examples. Not sure when you say your budget hasn't really changed ..... does that mean you spend the same but have changed your buying habits to counter the increased costs? My wife has always been a bargain shopper, works the sales and uses coupons. Now there are fewer sales and coupons than before.......and when you get to the store the shelves are bare on the sale items. So that doesn't help. One thing moving in a positive direction is plant based items. My wife's a vegetarian and is seeing the regular prices drop a little. Oh, and gas went from $3.44 gal on Thursday to $3.75 gal on Friday. And across the river in IL it has now gone to $4.11 gal as of yesterday.

Your budget may not have increased but the cost of goods sure have. Anyone denying costs have increased are exactly that......in denial.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Your "spend" is one thing...what you are getting with the "spend" is another and that is what the ones playing the "Well it doesn't affect me" card doesn't seem to get.

From your previous post, you say you just buy cheaper brands. What happens where there is no longer a "cheaper" brand to buy and the costs go up? Do you then buy less? If eggs went up $2, what do you give up to make up for that $2 difference?

Are you sure you are getting the same amount? As one trick that companies use(and have always done) is to keep the costs the "same" they reduce the amount of product you get. A 12oz package of pasta may now be 11.5oz. Sure the price is the same but you have just lost 0.5 ounces. Does your spreadsheet go down to that level?

Now to save a few extra dollars instead of popping into my local gas station(that is currently $5.49/gallon and just a couple of weeks ago was $4.79/gallon), I have to go down to Costco, spend 15 minutes in line to pay $4.79/gallon. Sure my "spend" is exactly what it was a few weeks ago, but I am having to spend a lot more time to get the same rate. Does your spreadsheet account for the extra effort it takes to keep the costs the same?
Exactly right!

Old 03-05-2022, 11:49 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,301,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
A year ago I would pick salmon up at $12.99 lb at the local shop.....last weekend it was $16.99 lb. Container of cherry tomato's was $4.99 and now $6.99, Lettuce was $5.99, now $7.49. Organic whole milk was $4.99 container and is now $5.99 and is less than a 1 gal container. Just a fef examples. Not sure when you say your budget hasn't really changed ..... does that mean you spend the same but have changed your buying habits to counter the increased costs? My wife has always been a bargain shopper, works the sales and uses coupons. Now there are fewer sales and coupons than before.......and when you get to the store the shelves are bare on the sale items. So that doesn't help. One thing moving in a positive direction is plant based items. My wife's a vegetarian and is seeing the regular prices drop a little. Oh, and gas went from $3.44 gal on Thursday to $3.75 gal on Friday. And across the river in IL it has now gone to $4.11 gal as of yesterday.

Your budget may not have increased but the cost of goods sure have. Anyone denying costs have increased are exactly that......in denial.
Salmon 9.99 at Whole Foods- normal price, not On sale and a nice quality fish- also not previously frozen minimally processed which is a big bonus. Local cherry tomatoes bought today 2.49 a pint. Lettuce1.99 or 2.99 a head at the farmers market this morning 2 hours ago, picked today.I am ultra picky about quality and buying in season. I will adjust what I buy if it is not in season or looks yucky. I am not in denial nor do I ever use coupons. No shelves are ever bare for me? And I dont shop in Aldiss or lidl. I do visit and live in mostly expensive neighborhoods if that makes a difference and I never ever drive around to go for a bargain because I’m often on foot. London broil marinating for bbq tonight- 4.99 a pound- 3 pounds should last a few days.

Fill up my tank once a month -$42. That may have gone up $2 this month. Hardly noticeable for me.
I honestly do not know where you shop. I have been in 3 states this past month and these are the prices.
What am I missing and why is it so much more expensive where you live.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Salmon 9.99 at Whole Foods- normal price, not On sale and a nice quality fish- also not previously frozen minimally processed which is a big bonus. Local cherry tomatoes bought today 2.49 a pint. Lettuce1.99 or 2.99 a head at the farmers market this morning 2 hours ago, picked today.I am ultra picky about quality and buying in season. I will adjust what I buy if it is not in season or looks yucky. I am not in denial nor do I ever use coupons. No shelves are ever bare for me? And I dont shop in Aldiss or lidl. I do visit and live in mostly expensive neighborhoods if that makes a difference and I never ever drive around to go for a bargain because I’m often on foot. London broil marinating for bbq tonight- 4.99 a pound- 3 pounds should last a few days.

Fill up my tank once a month -$42. That may have gone up $2 this month. Hardly noticeable for me.
I honestly do not know where you shop. I have been in 3 states this past month and these are the prices.
You've completely missed the point! You asked for a comparison of prices on items from a year ago to today and that's what I gave you. Doesn't matter if you can find a substitute at a cheaper price at any given time.....that doesn't give you a comparison on the exact same item. Prices have and are going up regardless of how you look at it.

Oh.......Whole Foods near us is showing Atlantic Salmon fillet at $11.99 lb as of today. And it's $11.99 lb in Port Chester, NY as well. If I'm not mistaken, that's a 25% increase to your $9.99 quoted price. Care to rethink your statement about prices not increasing?

Old 03-05-2022, 12:54 PM

11,141 posts, read 4,801,594 times
Quote:

whole foods, farm raised salmon, color added. 11.99/lb single, 21.99 2lb pack. thats if you can take farm raised. fresh caught: 29.99 2 lb pack. I can place an order at your whole foods to pick up....

So you live in FL, been to 3 states, and in the last month used 11 gallons? I call BS. if you buy *4* gallons, there is your $2 - and then some.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:56 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,372,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
You've completely missed the point! You asked for a comparison of prices on items from a year ago to today and that's what I gave you. Doesn't matter if you can find a substitute at a cheaper price at any given time.....that doesn't give you a comparison on the exact same item. Prices have and are going up regardless of how you look at it.

Oh.......Whole Foods near us is showing Atlantic Salmon fillet at $11.99 lb as of today. And it's $11.99 lb in Port Chester, NY as well. If I'm not mistaken, that's a 25% increase to your $9.99 quoted price. Care to rethink your statement about prices not increasing?

Amazing how folks try to downplay the Bidenflation

Old 03-05-2022, 12:58 PM

30,775 posts, read 18,548,795 times
If things are so rosy, why are Biden and Democrats hellbent on extending the pause on federal student loan repayment

Old 03-05-2022, 01:00 PM

30,775 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:

It must be nice.

Gas here by me is now $3.80 a gallon; Sam's Club is $3.50 a gallon, but even that's up $0.50 a gallon from 5-6 months ago.

Our favorite restaurants are also increasing their prices as are the grocery stores we frequent.

We can still find deals, but the price increases are very evident here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies