Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 01:01 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,281,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
You've completely missed the point! You asked for a comparison of prices on items from a year ago to today and that's what I gave you. Doesn't matter if you can find a substitute at a cheaper price at any given time.....that doesn't give you a comparison on the exact same item. Prices have and are going up regardless of how you look at it.

Oh.......Whole Foods near us is showing Atlantic Salmon fillet at $11.99 lb as of today. And it's $11.99 lb in Port Chester, NY as well. If I'm not mistaken, that's a 25% increase to your $9.99 quoted price. Care to rethink your statement about prices not increasing?
Yes. I just checked my local Whole Foods and it did go up to 11.99. Bought it 6 weeks ago? I stand corrected.
My local shoprite is still at 9.99 but this week it’s on sale for 8.99 - quality not as good as Whole Foods but they do offer a kosher fish counter so that might be important.
The complaints of $17 a pound are not normal and I would be upset also. I often poach salmon and serve cold for parties and buy a 3-4 pound side. So I’m usually up on the price of that item. Thank you for the correction.
BTW shop rite is my favorite lower end grocery store because their ethnic stock can’t be beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 01:21 PM

20,927 posts, read 9,632,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Because the government finally realized giving out free money and not taking in tax revenue wasn't a good thing
Wrong. As I already pointed out previously, there were large numbers of jobs being added while the government was giving out Covid money, and large numbers of jobs being added after the government stopped giving out Covid money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Here are the monthly jobs totals under Biden so far (source):

Feb 2021: 710,000
Mar 2021: 704,000
Apr 2021: 263,000
May 2021: 447,000
Jun 2021: 557,000
Jul 2021: 689,000
Aug 2021: 517,000
Sep 2021: 424,000
Oct 2021: 677,000
Nov 2021: 647,000
Dec 2021: 588,000
Jan 2022: 481,000
Feb 2022: 678,000

Old 03-05-2022, 01:22 PM

946 posts, read 400,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Yes. I just checked my local Whole Foods and it did go up to 11.99. Bought it 6 weeks ago? I stand corrected.
My local shoprite is still at 9.99 but this week it’s on sale for 8.99 - quality not as good as Whole Foods but they do offer a kosher fish counter so that might be important.
The complaints of $17 a pound are not normal and I would be upset also. I often poach salmon and serve cold for parties and buy a 3-4 pound side. So I’m usually up on the price of that item. Thank you for the correction.
BTW shop rite is my favorite lower end grocery store because their ethnic stock can’t be beat.
Like I said...... you can always find something cheaper. I'm just giving examples of the items we buy on a somewhat regular basis. We shop at four different grocery stores that are all nearby and prices are going up at each of them. My wife likes a small 8 oz piece of salmon about every three weeks and only from one shop that has always gotten the highest reviews for the freshest salmon in town. BUT...... I also buy a lot of salmon at Fresh Thymes, usually 3-4 lbs at a time and usually when it's on sale for around $5.99 lb. It looks like good quality, but I wouldn't know. I've never tried it. I will say our dogs love it though! They get either salmon or beef added to their food every night. Which reminds me.....their regular dog food has gone up over the past year as well...to the tune of 20 - 25%. And a 160# mastiff along with a 105# St.Bernard, they go through a lot of food. Both senior dogs and rescues.....

Old 03-05-2022, 01:56 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,239,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Salmon 9.99 at Whole Foods- normal price, not On sale and a nice quality fish- also not previously frozen minimally processed which is a big bonus. Local cherry tomatoes bought today 2.49 a pint. Lettuce1.99 or 2.99 a head at the farmers market this morning 2 hours ago, picked today.I am ultra picky about quality and buying in season. I will adjust what I buy if it is not in season or looks yucky. I am not in denial nor do I ever use coupons. No shelves are ever bare for me? And I dont shop in Aldiss or lidl. I do visit and live in mostly expensive neighborhoods if that makes a difference and I never ever drive around to go for a bargain because I’m often on foot. London broil marinating for bbq tonight- 4.99 a pound- 3 pounds should last a few days.

Fill up my tank once a month -$42. That may have gone up $2 this month. Hardly noticeable for me.
I honestly do not know where you shop. I have been in 3 states this past month and these are the prices.
What am I missing and why is it so much more expensive where you live.
LOL...I'm sure you are right . Everyone's prices are going up except your prices and therefore you are right and everyone else is wrong.

Even on a military base, Milk has went up to almost $4 a gallon.

Everyone can adjust, you seem to be the only one not adjusting.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:03 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,114,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
whole foods, farm raised salmon, color added. 11.99/lb single, 21.99 2lb pack. thats if you can take farm raised. fresh caught: 29.99 2 lb pack. I can place an order at your whole foods to pick up....

So you live in FL, been to 3 states, and in the last month used 11 gallons? I call BS. if you buy *4* gallons, there is your $2 - and then some.
Farm raised salmon 10.99/lb. here in my area.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If things are so rosy, why are Biden and Democrats hellbent on extending the pause on federal student loan repayment
Because they believe that many of the loans should be forgiven anyways.

You can debate the policy on that -- but continuing the pause doesn't suggest that the jobs report was not good this month.

Things aren't rosy -- but jobs were added.

Was good when Trump was President -- still good when a Democrat is President.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:11 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,164,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Right.
Your side closes down businesses to 'win' an election.
Throws everything into disarray.
Then lets everything re-open...and claims you saved the economy.

Can't make this stuff up.
There it is. Added jobs and the declining unemployment rate don't mean anything at this point.
Critical thinking at work here: The jobs that were "lost" to Covid are coming back; consequently, there are less applications for unemployment - for those who actually have a work ethic and wish to be productive members of society. The current problem at hand is that we have too many people parked on their a**es, waiting for the next check to arrive, and have no incentive to work, claiming they're still afraid of the 'rona.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
There it is. Added jobs and the declining unemployment rate don't mean anything at this point.
Critical thinking at work here: The jobs that were "lost" to Covid are coming back; consequently, there are less applications for unemployment - for those who actually have a work ethic and wish to be productive members of society. The current problem at hand is that we have too many people parked on their a**es, waiting for the next check to arrive, and have no incentive to work, claiming they're still afraid of the 'rona.
Unemployment rate is 3.8% . It was 3.6% December 2019.

The subsidized unemployment benefits are gone. There are no extensions. Sure some of the relief programs are in place but none of those would be enough to keep people from working.

I know my Republican Governor is boasting on the jobs added.

We can argue that there are still serious concerns with inflation, etc....but jobs being added in February and the unemployment rate of 3.8% is good news...no matter how much you don't want it to be.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,877,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
90% of the jobs lost during Trump's reign have now been recovered.
The single largest job creator during the Trump years was Amazon.

It seems reasonable to not attribute Amazon’s job creation to Trump or any President.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:58 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,281,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
whole foods, farm raised salmon, color added. 11.99/lb single, 21.99 2lb pack. thats if you can take farm raised. fresh caught: 29.99 2 lb pack. I can place an order at your whole foods to pick up....

So you live in FL, been to 3 states, and in the last month used 11 gallons? I call BS. if you buy *4* gallons, there is your $2 - and then some.
I can take farm raised, maybe that’s why I don’t find the prices as painful as you.

And in terms of my travel, I fly and the airport is less than 5 miles away. I get over 30 mpg and don’t drive more than 400 miles in a month, if gas goes up 20 cents a gallon in a month that’s your 2 bucks, ok maybe 3. Does that sound like BS?
Why would I lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies