Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 09:48 AM

92 posts, read 28,300 times

Advertisements

$4.10 in OKC this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 09:50 AM

956 posts, read 516,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
My paid-off home value rose from $550k to $1M, so $4/gal gas here in SW Florida is no biggy. I burn ~1 tank/month being a work-from-home semi-retired business owner.

High gas prices crush the bottom 40% who are renters, & are a pain to the next 40%...home-owning strivers who mostly commute to work in a gas car.

To the debt-free top 23%, even $10/gal gas is nothing to lose sleep over.
I am debt free as well and never have had any debt and my home has always been paid for. So absorbing higher gas prices does not hurt nearly as much.

Though your home rising in value or being flat or even falling in value really has nothing to do with anything unless you own multiple homes and intend to sell one of them.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:55 AM

38,706 posts, read 26,515,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
In one week, the price of gasoline, here in the Triangle, has gone up from $3.50 to $3.80 - $3.90.... This is insane! I have no idea how people who live paycheck to paycheck are able to afford this....
I paid $3.69 last night, but I have seen it as high as $3.89 locally.

Luckily I work nearby and can avoid most other driving.

Buckle up, this is just the beginning.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:57 AM

35,862 posts, read 21,277,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I paid $3.69 last night, but I have seen it as high as $3.89 locally.

Luckily I work nearby and can avoid most other driving.

Buckle up, this is just the beginning.
Where?

Old 03-05-2022, 09:58 AM

19,821 posts, read 10,262,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
I am debt free as well and never have had any debt and my home has always been paid for. So absorbing higher gas prices does not hurt nearly as much.

Though your home rising in value or being flat or even falling in value really has nothing to do with anything unless you own multiple homes and intend to sell one of them.
Very true. Our home has tripled in value, but since we don't plan to sell it or borrow money on it, it does not matter. But since we have many dr appts, the raise in gas prices has affected us. I am still trying to recover from the vaccine. The specialized treatment that I need is only available 45 miles from here.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:59 AM

35,862 posts, read 21,277,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Welcome to one of the largest oil producing country, with self sustainable production and Texas itself capable of supplying all of us and then some.
Yes. True so are our oil tycoons pro America ??? lol they would sell us all as cheap labor if they could.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieL43 View Post
$4.10 in OKC this morning.
Holy cow. I used to observe Southern states near large oil reserves had far cheaper gas than Metro Detroit and most other areas. Here in Metro Detroit it is like $3.69 average as of today.

Back in 2006-2008, I remember Texas and Oklahoma had far cheaper gas prices it seemed than anyone else especially Texas. Now it seems Texas is just as expensive and many more states have gotten more expensive over a decade later relative to Southeast Michigan. And they even raised gas tax by 10 cents in Michigan effective January 1, 2017 to pay for road repairs.

Did they significantly increase the gas tax in Oklahoma and Texas compared to the late 2000s to early 2010s where prices were much cheaper than almost all other states.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:31 PM

18,262 posts, read 17,046,420 times
Saw $6.09 going past a Chevron station in Eagle Rock Ca.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:53 PM

2,335 posts, read 823,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You need to stop lying. I checked yesterday just after I drove past the stations and it was wrong, again.

Just got home and some of them are wrong again.
Uh huh. The last time this conversation came up, you were trying to compare one obscure station in your area to the average and used that as your basis to conclude gasbuddy was wrong (completely disingenuous). You clearly don't understand how an average works. The bottom line is, you have companies like gasbuddy and you have people with an agenda. I'll choose the former any day and know that it has been accurate within pennies for me for over a decade in a variety of states.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Very true. Our home has tripled in value, but since we don't plan to sell it or borrow money on it, it does not matter. But since we have many dr appts, the raise in gas prices has affected us. I am still trying to recover from the vaccine. The specialized treatment that I need is only available 45 miles from here.
Exactly and the option to borrow against home equity should be flat out banned. Its a lot of but not only reason what got us to 2008 crisis to begin with. Same with less than 10-15% down mortgages.

When they allowed people to borrow to buy stocks that lead us to great depression in 1929 to 1939. And heck they still seem to allow that now. When will lessons ever be learned.

And yes I do have Dr. appts and sometimes have to deliver things at work and go in and out depending on job function which changes all the time and cannot expense gas for it, so it does hurt a bit, but I am ok, just cannot save as much money as before which sucks as these stupid high gasoline prices hurt everyone in different ways all the time. Fortunately work is only 4-7 miles away depending on location but multiple trips do add up at times. And I do have Dr. Appts, but not many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies