Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2022, 01:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Dang. Sorry about all that. Keep up the good fight.
Thanks. I don't fight it. I do follow my doctors advice and do my best to ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 02:47 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Thanks. I don't fight it. I do follow my doctors advice and do my best to ignore it.
That makes sense.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:45 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Diets are the cornerstone of most cholesterol lowering medical regimens. But for many it does not suffice. Either due to not adhering to the dietary recommendations, or at times due to genetics. The statins work on improving both. And when your high risk patients stop having so many heart attacks, strokes and deaths, you become a believer.

It maybe that eating one large meal every 36 hours promotes the best of health. But I, as most, cannot live that way.
The diets most MDs recommend are not useful. Restricting calories shows the metabolism and increases obesity in the long run. Low cholesterol or low fat diets do not help.

And exercise is at least as important as nutrition, if not more. But medical science has decided exercise does not cure obesity. It does, but it takes time, and it prevents it in the first place.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Smoking.

As smoking declined, so did mortality from CVD. Interestingly, while this was a decades long trend beginning in the 60s, the last decade has seen mortality from CVD stabilize and even increase (https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/...nt/43cbb65e-en) matching rates of smoking leveling off.

Statins became commercially available in the late 80s, and have exploded in the 90s. However, their explosion has not made a dent in mortality curves for CVD.

I'm not a big believe in inhibiting any necessary enzyme to treat one aspect of a disease.

CVD is virtually unheard among the Masai people. While this could be genetic, it's probably more tied to diet. It seems people with even a genetic predisposition won't develop CVD with proper diet and exercise.
Yes, smoking declined and CVD decreased, and statins got the credit. Meanwhile, obesity increased.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
It is genetic, diet and cultural. Same as anywhere. Africa also has little gallbladder and appendix disease. But for some reason they still don't live nearly as long as here.

As one with long term experience caring for high risk patients, I can tell you without hesitation that my patients have benefited. No doubt you can find some data refuting that generalization.
The medical industry loves to blame genetics, because that means lifestyle won't help and drugs are needed.

"For some reason" Africans don't live as long? You don't understand that Africa has very high rates of poverty? You don't understand that poverty means malnutrition, which means more disease? In addition to poor sanitation, and basically poor everything.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's nonsense all around. For starters among high risk groups statins reduce strokes and heart attacks significantly.
I SAID statins save lives for a tiny minority!! That accounts for the research showing a slight benefit, on average.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Type 2 diabetes is looking more and more like an autoimmune disorder, probably due to western diet and gut biome.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6620611/

Fyi, this is why type 2 diabetics had such poor outcomes with COVID.

Type 2 diabetes results from metabolic syndrome (metsyn). Metsyn results from too much blood glucose trying to enter cells, and overwhelming the mitochondria. This leads to insulin resistance, high blood insulin, obesity, and autoimmune artery disease.

Cutting back on refined carbohydrates AND increasing exercise can eliminate this problem.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Only in the more acute or serious medical cases and conditions do we push treatments that leave you feeling lousy. Many patients do not take their meds if or because they make them feel bad. This is why we do follow ups and make medication adjustments.

We have many years of experience with statins. How many years past 35 does one need to know all the side effects?
We know they have no benefit for most of the people who take them. And the damage they cause, when taken for many years, can be blamed on age. If the damage is noticed, that is. The muscle problems caused by statins mostly occur in people who exercise, and most people do not exercise.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Lifestyle recommendations are a cornerstone of treatment. But with far too many patients that does not work, and we have to move on.
Because the typical lifestyle recommendations are not helpful, and don't work, so patients give up on them.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, to be specific they block HMG-CoA. In the liver this is needed for the biosynthesis of cholesterol. But, HMG-CoA is found throughout your body, in just about every cell, as it regulates isoprenoids.

Taking statins is like going deer hunting with a nuclear warhead.
Exactly. Mess up the whole system just to change one thing. And changing that one thing has no benefit, in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies