Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 10:32 PM

13,390 posts, read 7,394,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
You don't pay money for net metering. The utility (maybe per state) either offers it or they don't.
If he has it, then the excess he produces during the day/summer can be used in the winter.
Most utilities have cut back on Net-Metering payments the target was to get rid of the lease model solar system which was causing diversion of the payment to solar company while the utility had to maintain the electric grid. The only future for roof top solar here in Arizona is if purchase price comes down in cost with states like California forcing solar on new builds it's likely the price will continue to drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 12:58 PM

2,612 posts, read 935,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Most utilities have cut back on Net-Metering payments the target was to get rid of the lease model solar system which was causing diversion of the payment to solar company while the utility had to maintain the electric grid. The only future for roof top solar here in Arizona is if purchase price comes down in cost with states like California forcing solar on new builds it's likely the price will continue to drop.
I think where net metering is/was a thing, it was put in place by government not the utility. Isnt it essentially utilities paying homeowners retail pricing for the electricity they produce vs them having to only pay wholesale for other electricity that they were to purchase. A good deal for homeowners with solar but a bad deal for utilities.

I looked into solar, it wasnt a financially beneficial decisions. When I got on the phone the first thing the salesman asked was the reason why I am interested in solar. I got the sense that if i said "for the environment" he would have followed up with me but because I said it was primarily for financial benefits he never called me after the conversation.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
That has been going on nationwide recently along with the converter theft is the hole in the gas tank. What I don't get is how do they know how much fuel will be in there if you have a large tank 20-25 gallons they need several buckets to empty it into.
I find it hard to believe that anyone other than some mentally defective clowns would bother stealing gas from someone's tank. It seems like a relatively high risk move of getting caught. While gas is expensive for gas, it is still only about $4 a gallon so who wants to have to now transport 60 pounds of stolen gasoline for stealing $40-$50 worth of gas that I am not sure what they could even sell it for. The economics of gasoline theft seem pretty terrible.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:47 PM

13,390 posts, read 7,394,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I think where net metering is/was a thing, it was put in place by government not the utility. Isnt it essentially utilities paying homeowners retail pricing for the electricity they produce vs them having to only pay wholesale for other electricity that they were to purchase. A good deal for homeowners with solar but a bad deal for utilities.

I looked into solar, it wasnt a financially beneficial decisions. When I got on the phone the first thing the salesman asked was the reason why I am interested in solar. I got the sense that if i said "for the environment" he would have followed up with me but because I said it was primarily for financial benefits he never called me after the conversation.
Government was forcing utilities to pay high net-metering, and even pay credits to the homeowner in the beginning it was thought that rooftop solar would not really be used widely because of the high upfront cost the ROI was too long.

Solar works for lot of people who bought it long time ago I know someone who bought a house with a purchased solar she had no electric bill and the system was paid for already. It eventually needed a new inverter but cost her $600 installed which still came out in her favor. Another person he bought his solar years ago when the utility first started offering credits they would pay for half the system up front cost. The solar companies would build big systems cost 30k he paid off his loan is way ahead on ROI. Arizona we spend about 300-700 a month in the summer about $200 a month in the winter.

I have seen a few stories where people get solar later to find their roof needs work but they have to pay someone to remove the solar panels at the cost of several thousand dollars.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:05 PM

2,345 posts, read 975,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post

You're in NJ. It's one of the states with the best solar incentives, right behind DC.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
You're in NJ. It's one of the states with the best solar incentives, right behind DC.
If NJ has some of the best solar incentives, then I do not see how solar would be successful in other states with lesser incentives. The math did not work out on it being a financial savings. I know one thing that could have improved the math was me taking down some big trees around my house but I didnt want to do that and that comes with a cost. Not sure what if it would have moved the needle enough if I took down the trees.

I am sure financially it works for some. Everyone has to just work it out for their own homes and see if it works for them.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:28 PM

24,742 posts, read 9,538,748 times
The solution to global warming: Financing $60K depreciating asset EVs to further enrich Elon Musk

Well done woke radical leftists, you truly saved the planet.

Not bullet trains, not bicycles, not electric bicycles, not more pedestrian only zones, but unaffordable $60K depreciating assets for a country already in massive debt are going to change the weather.

And people wonder why folks are abandoning the left everyday.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:08 PM

13,248 posts, read 21,870,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The solution to global warming: Financing $60K depreciating asset EVs to further enrich Elon Musk

Well done woke radical leftists, you truly saved the planet.

Not bullet trains, not bicycles, not electric bicycles, not more pedestrian only zones, but unaffordable $60K depreciating assets for a country already in massive debt are going to change the weather.

And people wonder why folks are abandoning the left everyday.
Wow. What an unmitigated spew of nonsense. No one is telling anyone they need to buy a new car. Ever.
Second, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, half the EV advocates in this thread are righties.

Third, as if you could give a good hoot about bicycles. Look here...

Top 10 Bike-Friendly Cities in America

San Francisco, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Washington,DC
Oakland, CA
Portland, OR
Boston, MA
Seattle, WA
Irvine, CA
Denver, CO
St. Paul, MN.

Notice anything in common? Yeah, all blue.

You never fail to get it all wrong.

Old 05-11-2022, 02:32 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,369,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Several people have already pointed out several functionality benefits - yet you keep asking why, why, why?

We already know nothing is going to change your mind so why bother? Just because YOU don't believe that there is a quantifiable benefit to what people have pointed out doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You just don't see it, don't want to accept it and just want to argue about it.
The problem is activists (aka ideologue idiots) convinced the government to mandate it upon all of us in some false belief it will reverse climate change. If you see some benefit then have at it, buy a dozen for you your family and friends snd drive em all day long(oh wait you cant do that) but to force this obviously unworkable plan on all of us is just wrong, okay? And it is unworkable. Seems dandy for the past few years for the few affluent homeowners who can afford this novelty, but shifting the majority to EVs will have disastrous consequences and endless inconveniences.
Whats funny is I have yet to find a credible study on the GGE that will occur in transitioning the infrastructure. Its going to be massive and offset any gains but EV proponents pretend its trivial. They dont even have a plan to build it, they think if you wish for it enough it will happen. Id call that blind faith but its just plain stupidity.

Old 05-11-2022, 02:38 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,417,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
The problem is activists (aka ideologue idiots) convinced the government to mandate it upon all of us in some false belief it will reverse climate change. If you see some benefit then have at it, buy a dozen for you your family and friends snd drive em all day long(oh wait you cant do that) but to force this obviously unworkable plan on all of us is just wrong, okay? And it is unworkable. Seems dandy for the past few years for the few affluent homeowners who can afford this novelty, but shifting the majority to EVs will have disastrous consequences and endless inconveniences.
Whats funny is I have yet to find a credible study on the GGE that will occur in transitioning the infrastructure. Its going to be massive and offset any gains but EV proponents pretend its trivial. They dont even have a plan to build it, they think if you wish for it enough it will happen. Id call that blind faith but its just plain stupidity.
your entire rant is based upon a incorrect assumption.

99% of my charging of my vehicle is when its sitting in my driveway. the VAST majority of electric vehicles charge up at home. We do in fact have the infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies