Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 05:38 PM

30,452 posts, read 21,289,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So you can more effectively run over pedestrians at stop lights in the city kitty?

I love to scare them when i hit it from a 10mph roll and make a loud sound and burn up the tires on the C6. It will get loose like a moose if ya don't know what you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
My golf cart was faster than my 436 HP Vette from 0 to 5.
Mine is 650 bra. Mod that thing and add a maggie and built heads and headers and ported TB and a cam sam.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:50 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
The Chevy Bolt’s Death Is a Bad Sign for Biden’s Climate Plan

A nation of electric SUVs won’t solve our problems.

On a quarterly earnings call earlier this week, GM CEO Mary Barra announced the untimely death of the Chevy Bolt, an electric sedan that goes for under $30,000. The Detroit-area factory that makes them is set to be retooled to produce larger and more expensive electric trucks, including the Chevy Silverado. While a 2023 Bolt weighs in at around 3,600 pounds, the roughly $40,000 Silverado EV—due out next year—will be more than 8,000 pounds. As Barra explained later on in the call, the company is “very targeted at having the E.V.s at the right price point.”

https://newrepublic.com/article/1722...aign=tnr_daily

Old 04-28-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
The Chevy Bolt’s Death Is a Bad Sign for Biden’s Climate Plan

A nation of electric SUVs won’t solve our problems.

On a quarterly earnings call earlier this week, GM CEO Mary Barra announced the untimely death of the Chevy Bolt, an electric sedan that goes for under $30,000. The Detroit-area factory that makes them is set to be retooled to produce larger and more expensive electric trucks, including the Chevy Silverado. While a 2023 Bolt weighs in at around 3,600 pounds, the roughly $40,000 Silverado EV—due out next year—will be more than 8,000 pounds. As Barra explained later on in the call, the company is “very targeted at having the E.V.s at the right price point.”

https://newrepublic.com/article/1722...aign=tnr_daily
I hate full size trucks buck. And a 8000lb tank you can keep. Wait till one of them crash into someone with all that weight nate.

I hope to see a small reg cab EV pickup with 400hp or more.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:53 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,933 times
Interestingly enough, no study that declares EVs are more carbon friendly than ICE vehicles, ever takes into account the massive carbon emissions involved with building this charging infrastructure. It would take several pages to list all the industrial activities involved and the construction work, the copper mining for all the cables alone is mind boggling. Every charging station in every parking lot you see usually has underground burial wires to it, which required digging then concrete to be poured. The manufacture of concrete is responsible for 20% of all greenhouse gas emissions. Did you know that? If your reply to this is "oh it cant be that much" how is this a scientific approach to this issue? Isnt that just faith? The fact is none of this "great transformation" to an EV society was ever factored in to comparisons so the comparisons are useless and flawed. The Biden administration boasts of hundreds of billion dollars invested by govt and private entities to build this massive infrastructure. Did it ever dawn on anyone that this is just more carbon theyre dumping into the environment?

Old 05-01-2023, 03:56 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I'm pretty sure this Tesla I see in my area with a "Let's GO Brandon" flag and a 2nd Amendment Flag attached isn't a Liberal. You calling all EV owners Liberals is ignorant. But, I'm not surprised based on your post history.

Gotta go charge my EV for 36 hrs and save the world. Don't forget, I'm also about beat someone in a straight line race from 0-45 before my limiter kicks in and I'm dusted.
Post a picture of it.

Old 05-01-2023, 06:44 AM

15,098 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You think relying on petroleum is better? Do you think gas stations still sell gas in a power outage?
In my 48 years of driving, not one time in my entire life have I pulled into a gas station that was shutdown due to a power outage. Not once.

How many times has that happened to you?

Old 05-01-2023, 06:56 AM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
In my 48 years of driving, not one time in my entire life have I pulled into a gas station that was shutdown due to a power outage. Not once.

How many times has that happened to you?
I have, but that was a special circumstance: the 2021 Texas Icepocalypse.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:25 AM

15,098 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Quiet operation, smooth drive, longer-lasting motors, much less maintenance...
First, let’s dismiss “smooth drive” as an absurdity at face value, since such a thing is totally dependent on road conditions, vehicle suspensions, and tires, which have nothing whatsoever to do with the type of motor powering the vehicle.

Next, we have “quiet operation” which poses an element of danger to pedestrians and animals, as we probably don’t want to be surrounded by 5,000+ pound fast moving objects approaching silently, compared to one’s you can hear coming, that attract your attention, and alert you to impending danger. This is precisely why so many motorcyclists choose to have loud exhaust systems that announce their presence to those around them, and why silent electric motorcycles are a terribly bad idea from the rider’s safety perspective. And this is particularly something to consider given our modern day realities have somehow managed to make the entire world one gigantic “cross walk” where people now expect every car to yield right-of-way to them, as they blindly walk across streets expecting clear passage.

As for longer lasting motors, that’s pure illusion. The reality is, you cannot separate the impact of battery life, because the electric motor is useless without the electricity to power it, so the two are inextricably linked together as if they were a single component. Therefore, because of the extremely high cost of replacement EV batteries, such as the Tesla, which can run between $12,000-$15,000, it’s absolutely false to claim “longevity” as an advantage for EVs. The exact opposite is the truth. By the end of the battery’s life cycle, the EV itself will almost certainly be worth less than the cost of replacing the battery, which makes the vehicle essentially, a disposable car. That’s hardly a testament to being environmentally friendly or sustainable. It’s really a windmill on wheels, destined to find its way to the EV graveyard, at 100,000 miles, or 8-12 years after purchase, which is the typical warranty of such batteries.

Now, imagine a world in which all current gas powered vehicles with model years 2013 and older are piled up in junkyards? That would likely represent half or more of the automobiles currently in operation as we speak. That would be a total economic and environmental disaster. And that’s what you can bank on if we were to convert all automobile production and ownership to EV’s as the current technology exists now. Far from being a dream world of low maintenance/high performance automobiles, it’s another example of a “Nightmare” born in the minds of liberal lunatics, whose grasp of “unintended consequences” has never actually existed. It’s another classic example of what Thomas Sowell said of the error of western society that keeps discarding what works, for what “sounds good”.

The only advantage EVs offer realistically, is the performance associated with the instantaneous torque electric motors generate, that gives them super car like performance characteristics. But even that performance shouldn’t be automatically assumed to be a good thing, because the VERY LAST THING WE SHOULD WANT is for all of the typical drivers on the road behind the wheels of Ferrari like cars that can go 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds. These meatballs are already dangerous enough with their f’ing Camry’s and SUV’s that take 6.5 seconds to get to 60 mph! So, the performance characteristics of EV’s require electronic performance management strategies (performance limiting technology), effectively eliminating that “advantage” too.

So, let’s recap the pros and cons of EV’s …..

Pros- super car like performance, which might not necessarily be desirable in the hands of the average driver.

Cons -

1) high initial cost of the vehicles which are 2 to 3 times or more than of the comparable model gas vehicle, which the average car buyer simply can’t afford.

2) built in obsolescence, as the inevitable failure of the battery is likely to result in a total life cycle of the vehicle projecting somewhere between 10-15 years. So, that cost benefit analysis is HORRIFYING … something that cost 3 times as much, with only half the life cycle? Oh what a deal? Only if you’ve lost your ever loving mind.

3) extremely limited range of EV’s between 200-300 miles before charging is needed. On a long road trip, a two hour fast charge stop over at one of the limited number of such charging stations, (which degrades the battery life faster than overnight slow charging) isn’t nearly as convenient as a 5 minute gas fill up at gas stations conveniently located EVERYWHERE, due to an infrastructure that has been under constant development and expansion for the last 100 years.

4) environmental impact of strip mining rare earth minerals required for battery manufacturing, which is extremely damaging.

5) the limited supply of said rare earth minerals, much of which are foreign sourced, making the US dependent on those foreign sources.

6) the limited capacity of those minerals and the manufacturing capacity of batteries that cannot feasibly meet the needs for replacing gas powered vehicles now … we can’t even replace half.

7) the strain on the current electric grid capacities is already too high in many areas requiring rolling brown/black outs due to extreme weather, so we cannot even meet current demands without this “liberal lunacy” of an all electric automotive industry. And as this insanity is pushed further, shutting down coal and gas electric production, this situation is only going to get exponentially worse, if the maniacs get their way.

I could add a few more cons, but this ought to suffice.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 05-01-2023 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-01-2023, 09:13 AM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
First, let’s dismiss “smooth drive” as an absurdity at face value, since such a thing is totally dependent on road conditions, vehicle suspensions, and tires, which have nothing whatsoever to do with the type of motor powering the vehicle.

Next, we have “quiet operation” which poses an element of danger to pedestrians and animals, as we probably don’t want to be surrounded by 5,000+ pound fast moving objects approaching silently, compared to one’s you can hear coming, that attract your attention, and alert you to impending danger. This is precisely why so many motorcyclists choose to have loud exhaust systems that announce their presence to those around them, and why silent electric motorcycles are a terribly bad idea from the rider’s safety perspective. And this is particularly something to consider given our modern day realities have somehow managed to make the entire world one gigantic “cross walk” where people now expect every car to yield right-of-way to them, as they blindly walk across streets expecting clear passage.

As for longer lasting motors, that’s pure illusion. The reality is, you cannot separate the impact of battery life, because the electric motor is useless without the electricity to power it, so the two are inextricably linked together as if they were a single component. Therefore, because of the extremely high cost of replacement EV batteries, such as the Tesla, which can run between $12,000-$15,000, it’s absolutely false to claim “longevity” as an advantage for EVs. The exact opposite is the truth. By the end of the battery’s life cycle, the EV itself will almost certainly be worth less than the cost of replacing the battery, which makes the vehicle essentially, a disposable car. That’s hardly a testament to being environmentally friendly or sustainable. It’s really a windmill on wheels, destined to find its way to the EV graveyard, at 100,000 miles, or 8-12 years after purchase, which is the typical warranty of such batteries.

Now, imagine a world in which all current gas powered vehicles with model years 2013 and older are piled up in junkyards? That would likely represent half or more of the automobiles currently in operation as we speak. That would be a total economic and environmental disaster. And that’s what you can bank on if we were to convert all automobile production and ownership to EV’s as the current technology exists now. Far from being a dream world of low maintenance/high performance automobiles, it’s another example of a “Nightmare” born in the minds of liberal lunatics, whose grasp of “unintended consequences” has never actually existed. It’s another classic example of what Thomas Sowell said of the error of western society that keeps discarding what works, for what “sounds good”.

The only advantage EVs offer realistically, is the performance associated with the instantaneous torque electric motors generate, that gives them super car like performance characteristics. But even that performance shouldn’t be automatically assumed to be a good thing, because the VERY LAST THING WE SHOULD WANT is for all of the typical drivers on the road behind the wheels of Ferrari like cars that can go 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds. These meatballs are already dangerous enough with their f’ing Camry’s and SUV’s that take 6.5 seconds to get to 60 mph! So, the performance characteristics of EV’s require electronic performance management strategies (performance limiting technology), effectively eliminating that “advantage” too.

So, let’s recap the pros and cons of EV’s …..

Pros- super car like performance, which might not necessarily be desirable in the hands of the average driver.

Cons -

1) high initial cost of the vehicles which are 2 to 3 times or more than of the comparable model gas vehicle, which the average car buyer simply can’t afford.

2) built in obsolescence, as the inevitable failure of the battery is likely to result in a total life cycle of the vehicle projecting somewhere between 10-15 years. So, that cost benefit analysis is HORRIFYING … something that cost 3 times as much, with only half the life cycle? Oh what a deal? Only if you’ve lost your ever loving mind.

3) extremely limited range of EV’s between 200-300 miles before charging is needed. On a long road trip, a two hour fast charge stop over at one of the limited number of such charging stations, (which degrades the battery life faster than overnight slow charging) isn’t nearly as convenient as a 5 minute gas fill up at gas stations conveniently located EVERYWHERE, due to an infrastructure that has been under constant development and expansion for the last 100 years.

4) environmental impact of strip mining rare earth minerals required for battery manufacturing, which is extremely damaging.

5) the limited supply of said rare earth minerals, much of which are foreign sourced, making the US dependent on those foreign sources.

6) the limited capacity of those minerals and the manufacturing capacity of batteries that cannot feasibly meet the needs for replacing gas powered vehicles now … we can’t even replace half.

7) the strain on the current electric grid capacities is already too high in many areas requiring rolling brown/black outs due to extreme weather, so we cannot even meet current demands without this “liberal lunacy” of an all electric automotive industry. And as this insanity is pushed further, shutting down coal and gas electric production, this situation is only going to get exponentially worse, if the maniacs get their way.

I could add a few more cons, but this ought to suffice.

Dude relax. I'm not an EV fanboy but dirty-selling them just 'cuz isn't helpful.

1. EVs are very smooth into the power band which is much less dependent on RPM than ICEers.

2. Quiet operation is a plus not a minus. Every EV maker in the US installs noise generators for safety.

3. The limited range thing works for some not for others. That's all.

4. & 5. Legitimate concerns.

6. Time will tell but it's looking more and more like your argument here will be proved wrong.

7. Added strain on the various grids is a concern. However, yet again it seems more and more likely most states and grids can make a significant and fairly quick changeover to EVs work.

Also, stop throwing out the bogus notion that EV batteries typically die at 100K miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies