Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 09:20 PM

408 posts, read 291,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Given that Western society is aging, don't you think it would be a great idea to collect higher tax rates on each childless person? And, say, have the "normal" rate once a person parents 2 children (so, no advantage for having too many children either).

There could be also an "adoption" route for those who is not capable to give birth.
If you think about it that is effectively what we did have in 2020 and 2021 under both Trump AND Biden and may very well be one of the FEW bipartisan approved ideas that exist.

Waves of stimulus checks for most income earners excluding phased out high earners

Stimulus 1:
April 2020 - families with 2 children received $3,400 (1,000 per parent and $700 per child up to 2 children) if I remember correctly

Stimulus 2:
December 2020 - families with 2 children received another $3,400 but this time ($1,200 per parent and $500 per child) I think

Stimulus 3:
Democrats complained the 2nd stimulus was compromised by Senator McConell and that each family should have got way more.
April 2021 - families with 2 children received $5,600 ($1,800 per parent + $1,000 per child up to 2 children)?

Stimulus 4:
The new approved child tax credit allowed for half or $600 per month per family with 2 kids under age 6 to be received July 2021 thru December 2021, the rest applied as 2021 IRS tax credit

Stimulus 5:
Childcare tax credit allowing for families with kids, a tax credit on daycare and pre school Up to I think $8,000 for the year, based on the lesser of adjusted gross income or amount of childcare.

In total that is some $20,000 in Govt stimulus per family with 2 kids and this is not bad. These families are dealing with a lot on their plate and in my case those stimulus checks saved me from major financial turmoil. But even with that said, it was not a Govt job to have given me that much money in a country where people lost far more life and limb and suffered far worse than a threat to a lifestyle decline due to family choices and pressures.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:53 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Aging country is dying country, immigration does not cure that.
Good.

Not every country needs to re-populate. Let countries die in peace, human life is not sacred. Are you planning to go to Japan and force the population to have kids too?

Old 04-18-2022, 11:30 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Since we have no say in how the money's spent, why should the government be entitled to any of our money?
You and everyone else knows what I meant, so no need to resort to extremism.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:37 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Good.

Not every country needs to re-populate. Let countries die in peace, human life is not sacred. Are you planning to go to Japan and force the population to have kids too?

I'd rather stay in USA and USA stays USA and not become Mexico or some 3rd world country.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Childless couples pay more taxes because they do not have deductions for children.

Seniors that are required to take minimum distribution from their investments are paying their taxes.

Why don't we tax those that have multiple children, are single and don't work?

Old 04-18-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Childless couples pay more taxes because they do not have deductions for children.

Seniors that are required to take minimum distribution from their investments are paying their taxes.

If you combine sales taxes and property taxes, that's a questionable statement...

Old 04-18-2022, 01:24 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post

We don't tax those particular individuals because we can't. They don't work, therefore, no one can get taxes out of them.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Given that Western society is aging, don't you think it would be a great idea to collect higher tax rates on each childless person? And, say, have the "normal" rate once a person parents 2 children (so, no advantage for having too many children either).

There could be also an "adoption" route for those who is not capable to give birth.
Who would want me as a parent? I am rather unsuitable, one way or another. As such, wouldn't such a law be forcing me to a bad situation.......or punishing me for what I am?

Quite frankly, it sounds like a Muslim society of the far past where Jews and Christians were there as well. People of the Book......but still taxed more heavily.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Who would want me as a parent? I am rather unsuitable, one way or another. As such, wouldn't such a law be forcing me to a bad situation.......or punishing me for what I am?

Quite frankly, it sounds like a Muslim society of the far past where Jews and Christians were there as well. People of the Book......but still taxed more heavily.
Well, if you don't like words "tax more childless people", how about "give a nice fat free check to mothers when their firstborn & second children are born"?

I hear what you're saying, not all people could be good parents. If anything like that is ever made (which is never the case for any of the CD discussion), it would be nice to exclude drug addicts and alcoholics from the program (on the basis of endangering future children's health), and it's ti be tied up to maintaining children well-being after the birth all the way into the adulthood.

USA wasted 1 trillion dollars on Afghanistan, it could print some money for the American women.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:44 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Well, if you don't like words "tax more childless people", how about "give a nice fat free check to mothers when their firstborn & second children are born"?

I hear what you're saying, not all people could be good parents. If anything like that is ever made (which is never the case for any of the CD discussion), it would be nice to exclude drug addicts and alcoholics from the program (on the basis of endangering future children's health), and it's ti be tied up to maintaining children well-being after the birth all the way into the adulthood.

USA wasted 1 trillion dollars on Afghanistan, it could print some money for the American women.
And exclude Enforcers as well?

In someone's psychology of personalty development, there are 5 levels.Id, Ego, Superego, Society, Immortality (the last two terms are as I remember the conditions and admittedly, I may be mishmashing theories).

I lack that of immortality, the wish to seek a mate, to have children. For me, to me, that's okay for I am fine in being an Enforcer, someone who serves their society, even with little care to what risk they put themselves at for they are not putting others at risk. That is, they cannot take me out by taking out my family.

However, in the line of thought of this thread, that line of thought rather irks me for it is like how soldiers might be seen. One wants them to fight and protect, but when the war is over, they are forgotten or even demonized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies