Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times

Advertisements

This should settle this once and for all.

Arm every household.

25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'

Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Umm, what part?
Most of it was my opinion. The part about most cities being safer than yours without the illegal bans is fact. I'm sure you dont like it but that dont change a thing.
By your own admittance the only thing your law did was lessen suicide....
You do remember that right?

Cute smiley, I'm impressed.
I was asked for a benefit from the 1976 law and I said fewer suicides. I wasn't asked for a comprehensive list of all benefits. Some people struggle with language.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:37 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I was asked for a benefit from the 1976 law and I said fewer suicides. I wasn't asked for a comprehensive list of all benefits. Some people struggle with language.
Some struggle with facts.
You, me & everyone else viewing this thread knows that you mentioned suicide simply because its the only thing your law prevents.

A comprehensive list of benefits would be great, as long as they are real & not philosophical trash.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Some struggle with facts.
You, me & everyone else viewing this thread knows that you mentioned suicide simply because its the only thing your law prevents.

A comprehensive list of benefits would be great, as long as they are real & not philosophical trash.
Actual my primary support of DC's law is my 25 year history of living here without becoming a victim of violence in what the gun nuts regard as a hell hole of degenerate murderers. But don't let first hand accounts sway you from your ideology.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Actual my primary support of DC's law is my 25 year history of living here without becoming a victim of violence in what the gun nuts regard as a hell hole of degenerate murderers. But don't let first hand accounts sway you from your ideology.
I've lived in a state swimming in guns my whole life and haven't been the victim of violence.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:55 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,133 times
Quote:

Now your being silly. I'v lived 42 years in a state & city that permit gun posession without being a victim of violence. My fathers lived here for 62 years with the same results. His Dad lived here 94 years safely.

The fact is however that people in your city ARE victimized much more than most other places, even if you are not.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this question: Inasmuh as you say that you have never been a victim of violence - that this is YOUR first hand account, are we to then extrapolate that to mean that there is no violence in the District because of the strict gun control laws?

Are you going to suggest that the District does not have a high MURDER (by gun) rate?

Or, are you going to suggest that, because YOU have not been murdered by a gun, no one else is?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Now your being silly. I'v lived 42 years in a state & city that permit gun posession without being a victim of violence. My fathers lived here for 62 years with the same results. His Dad lived here 94 years safely.

The fact is however that people in your city ARE victimized much more than most other places, even if you are not.
You're the one that's claiming Washington is unsafe. I said nothing about where you live. You may live in a town of peace-loving gun toting NRA members. That's fine with me. Keep your laws. They may work for you. We in large cities find we need to restrict the proliferation of guns, particularly handguns.

I do wonder why you claim you need a gun for self defense given that three generations of your family have never experienced violence.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me ask you this question: Inasmuh as you say that you have never been a victim of violence - that this is YOUR first hand account, are we to then extrapolate that to mean that there is no violence in the District because of the strict gun control laws?

Are you going to suggest that the District does not have a high MURDER (by gun) rate?

Or, are you going to suggest that, because YOU have not been murdered by a gun, no one else is?

No I'd suggest that more people in the District would be exposed to gun violence if we didn't have our laws. I'd further suggest that what we chose to do in DC is not the business of people who don't live here. It's our choice.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Keep your laws. They may work for you. We in large cities find we need to restrict the proliferation of guns, particularly handguns.
I live is a city / area quite a bit larger than where you live - and we find no need to limit guns or ownership of same - particularily handguns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies