Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:34 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,262,500 times

Advertisements

Yep, I would rather know the fella is gone and will not be making another late night call to my house.

Make every shot count.

Actually, I go shooting every thursday with some of my friends and I was raised in a military family that shoots. I feel pretty confident I would make the shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 06:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,072,056 times
We keep a plate of cookies by the door, but then the District of Columbia probably has 1-2 home invasions per year, so I worry more about lightning strikes.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Check out the new TARUS .45/410 ga. revolvers. It is small enough to carry and large enough to stop a criminal. Put a shot shell loaded with #6 in the first chamber to fire and .45 Long Colt hollow points in the rest. Aim the first shot at the criminal’s face and, if he is not stopped by being blinded, then use the rest of the bullets.

As always be very careful with firearms and realize that you are responsible for any damage done by your firing any gun. You need a very good reason to shoot a person and being really angry is not enough. Being assaulted is a good enough reason.

IMHO the right to defend yourself, your family and your house overrules a criminal’s right to stay uninjured or even alive.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,884,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
We keep a plate of cookies by the door, but then the District of Columbia probably has 1-2 home invasions per year, so I worry more about lightning strikes.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/17/us...=1&oref=slogin

1 Man Killed, 2 Hurt In NW Home Invasion - washingtonpost.com

Well there are two I found in a few seconds...I think you might be wrong about the number....well I know you are.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
Quote:
1 Man Killed, 2 Hurt In NW Home Invasion - washingtonpost.com

WUSA9.com - Elderly Couple Tied Up During Home Invasion (http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=71432 - broken link)

Couple Bound, Robbed In Kenwood Home Invasion - News Story - WRC | Washington

Home Invasion Robbery in Kenwood

A series of home invasions and robberies have occurred in Montgomery County and Northwest Washington, D.C. since September, according to police reports. The four previous incidents all included the victims being tied up and robbed.

Home invasions prompt tighter security for seniors

Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,072,056 times
Looks like I'm spot on with my estimate. Maryland looks like a dangerous place. Probably the lax gun laws.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,245,901 times
If I felt that I needed a loaded gun on my nightstand every night to feel safe, I'd move to a safer neighborhood.

There's no way I'd have a gun in my house with two young boys. We leave outside lights on, set the alarm, and that's it. Never in my 40 years on this planet have I been in a situation where a gun was needed. Maybe I'm just smart enough to not hang out with shady people, wander dangerous streets at night, or live in a dangerous neighborhood.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
Quote:
Looks like I'm spot on with my estimate. Maryland looks like a dangerous place. Probably the lax gun laws.
Keep deluding yourself - LOLOLOLOL

Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,406,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If I felt that I needed a loaded gun on my nightstand every night to feel safe, I'd move to a safer neighborhood.

There's no way I'd have a gun in my house with two young boys. We leave outside lights on, set the alarm, and that's it. Never in my 40 years on this planet have I been in a situation where a gun was needed. Maybe I'm just smart enough to not hang out with shady people, wander dangerous streets at night, or live in a dangerous neighborhood.
You have every right to make this decision for yourself as long as you don't support politicians who would take away the choice to own a weapon from others.

Criminals often case a 'hood they don't live in though for more bountiful pickings.

And some people have limited choice to where they can live.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,686,647 times
Arm yourself
It's better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6.
If they ban guns or give you a hard time get one anyway.
Also if the Government bans guns that is most important time to have one.
1. to defend your country against the government
2. to defend yourself against the criminals who have the guns anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies