Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times

Advertisements

Most of the vehicles that Americans drive consume much gas. Why? Many people drive economical cars that are efficient and do the jobs just as well as a gas hog. Is the vehicle size and horsepower a neccessity, or an expensive status symbol.
Most public transportation ideas receive little more than a bored ho-hum.
Decades ago air-conditioning for homes was very rare and usually could be afforded only by the rich. I remember when most people just toughed it out (in the upper 90s) as best they could with the windows open and some used fans. Haven't many Americans become so spoiled that they turn on the home AC as soon as the outdoor temp hits 74?
We have lights everywhere, even businesses that are closed are lit up brightly 24 hours. Is it neccessary?
Think of all the energy used for 24 hour TV, all those stupid shows and endless commercials about cosmetic wonders, exercise machines, and sucker home business opportunities.
How much could we save if we used energy wisely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Most of the vehicles that Americans drive consume much gas. Why? Many people drive economical cars that are efficient and do the jobs just as well as a gas hog. Is the vehicle size and horsepower a neccessity, or an expensive status symbol.
What type of vehicle would be acceptable to you? What kind of gas mileage (minimum) would be acceptable?

Quote:
Decades ago air-conditioning for homes was very rare and usually could be afforded only by the rich. I remember when most people just toughed it out (in the upper 90s) as best they could with the windows open and some used fans. Haven't many Americans become so spoiled that they turn on the home AC as soon as the outdoor temp hits 74?
Personally, I simply set the temp at 77% and leave it -

Quote:
We have lights everywhere, even businesses that are closed are lit up brightly 24 hours. Is it neccessary?
Yes - security

Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
No, they don't. Just look at the numbers, 5% of the worlds population using roughly 25% of the oil.

However, they will because they will have to. Necessity is the mother of invention and the greatest motivator of progress.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
What type of vehicle would be acceptable to you? What kind of gas mileage (minimum) would be acceptable?

Personally, I simply set the temp at 77% and leave it -

Yes - security
An efficient car can get 30mpg (or more), it can drive just as fast as a V-8, except slower from the start. I understand that some people require larger vehicles for their jobs or their location.
I turn my window unit on when the temp hits about 85.
Security may be an issue. But I think much lighting is excessive. Flashing neon signs can't be for security reasons. Also, couldn't most lights be off and triggered by motion detectors when security is breached?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default brother's keeper

[quote]
Quote:
I very much agree with about the car issue. I think people should drive with more economical cars. But we are still Americans and we have a right to waste most things. We are not forced be be our brother's keeper. Look I just hope we can come up with some type of solution when it comes to independent vehicles that don't run on some type of oil product. Maybe when we are paying $200 a barrel for oil we may move in a serious way toward something else. As for public transportation. Heck we don't even have the will to take care of most of our existing infrastructure Bridges, Dams, etc., etc. Trying to build mass transit across this country outside of the areas that already have it will probably just meet with major resistance.

Quote:
I'll be honest I think it very important to have air-conditioning. We do actually need it for a lot more than just comfort. Look elderly and children are at serious risk of dehydration and heat stroke when it get up to 90. Look at France a couple of years ago elderly were dropping like flies over there with there record heat wave. Also basically now-a-days everything is run on computer. And they need to be keep cool and during the summer that is the only way your going to keep them at a functioning temperature. Basically if you want everything to shut down and life to grind to a halt then turn off the air.

Quote:
We have lights everywhere, even businesses that are closed are lit up brightly 24 hours. Is it necessary?
Think of all the energy used for 24 hour TV, all those stupid shows and endless commercials about cosmetic wonders, exercise machines, and sucker home business opportunities.
Somewhat agree. We need lights for safety of our citizens so having street lights at night I think is a good idea. But I think some of the business could afford to shut off the lights. As for the TV,infomercials and power sucking devices. Well I just wish those would go away also. But I'm afraid they are not going to anytime soon.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
This thread makes me laugh because it's totally obvious...of course Americans suck up energy at a ridiculous rate! No offense to you, we're obviously on the same page. I do not have air conditioning....actually, I have a window unit that I never turn on & don't even put in my window anymore because it's so useless & sucks up so much electricity that it's pointless to turn on. I just bought a Toyota Corolla, which is the first car I thought of in my price range that would get good gas mileage, something that was first & foremost in my head when getting a new car. I hate that the bus system here in Milwaukee is not as efficient as it could be because I would take it every day. However, even though I only live like a mile away from where I work, the bus takes FOREVER to get there & if you need to take the bus at an off time, you will be waiting around 30 minutes for it to come....ridiculous. Now, our mayor went to Portland to check out their transit system, which as we all know is quite good. However, because of the cost of installing a similar system here, people are against it....even though, in the long run it would be so beneficial to everyone! But, people are so married to their cars & afraid of change, they can't see beyond the obvious. I also think our society has become so ingrained w/the habit of waste....waste of food, waste of gas, waste of electricity, etc. It's sad & pathetic that people can't do simple everyday things to better the environment. It's all about greed & me, me, me!!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I turn my window unit on when the temp hits about 85.
Security may be an issue. But I think much lighting is excessive.
We don't have very many window units in my area. Most are central units. My home has 3 different zones - each with their own units

As for security - we also use a lot of outdoor lighting as well.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:

Air conditioning in homes has been standard for quite some time now, I know that homes back to the early 1970's pretty much had central air conditioning as standard equipment.

I have no desire to live in the heat or dark, and I favor technological solutions to the issue, vs discomfort. Regarding fuel economy in vehicles, we are going to get to the higher mileage very soon, primarily via the hybrid vehicles.

Meanwhile, the vehicle manufacturers are bringing out Dodge Challengers, Chevy Camaros and Pontiac G-8s, all with high performance engines and mediocre gas mileage. The car magazines, Motor Trend, Car and Driver and Road and Track, still clamor for more power, not mileage.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 PM

When the temps reach 110 degrees (as it did yesterday), I'm using my refrigeration without any hesitation or apologies

Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Visvald there is a sign in times square nyc made of LED lights, uses the energy of a toaster.
I tried looking for lighting for my house- not the compact flourescent- the LED and solar technologies. What's available doesn't really cut it yet. Appears the technology is too young at a time when we most need it to be working.

I tried to buy a hybrid prius few years back- there was a waiting list 9 mos long. Hybrid highlanders from toyota were 16 mos wait. The demand is definately out there, but the supply, and the advances aren't happening.

I settled for an econo car 30 mpg, but I get less gas mileage with ethanol added formula. Weird, huh? I have some compact flourescents. I kept habits from the oil crisis in 70's all along because that's what I knew growing up. I combined my shopping trips to one day of errands. I'm remodeling my home with energy conservation in mind. I do what I know how, pick from what's available, which I think is what most people do if they don't have that much disposible income.

Last year I saw a whole lot of used SUV's for sale. Didn't seem to be moving too quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies