Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 08:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
One of 3 scoring metrics was Morality (page 4).

I gotta guess it wasn't well edited and reviewed?
Good catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Very interesting list here, not sure how useful it is outside of giving people something to argue about. I say interesting because of the rankings, for instance, let's look at South Dakota.

South Dakota has little change in GDP during Covid so it was ranked 3rd
South Dakota remained in school, sparse population with low covid rates: 4th
But South Dakota's excess deaths are 22.9% placing it at 44 out of 50

Overall that puts South Dakota at Rank: 5

I have no idea what this number actually means. If I am an economist then I assume this is a positive outcome overall. If I am a public health professional this result may seem very bad and evidence of poor medical handling of Covid.

I guess this chart allows for everyone to argue about something but that is about it. I did learn anything from this.
Good point! When I look at some of the states that had the highest death rates such as West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Alabama, they rank no lower than 23rd. I don't think the study makes sense, but I see The Heritage Foundation was involved with the study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Side note re: Rural states

A number of rural states have a lot of illegal workers (like in meat packing plants, farm work etc). They didn't get stimulus, they live many packed to a residence (multi-generational) and they can't stop working. Also the whole issue of medical care....

Covid hit them really hard.

The two big outbreaks in Nebraska were from a meat packing plant and a quincinera.

Very complicated and interesting overall issue.
Good point! Early in the pandemic, meat packing plants were getting hit very hard and then you never heard anymore about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 08:55 AM

2,284 posts, read 637,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The issue isn’t always as much the people who are being treated for COVID, but the people who CAN’T be treated for everything else because hospitals are overflowing with COVID patients. People have had to put off other needed surgeries or treatments because they simply weren’t available or the backlog was so huge from when practices had to shut down entirely due to the virus.
That's no longer an issue, especially if people don't freakout over catching COVID and run to the ER because they have the sniffles and a fever.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
They also made ADJUSTMENTS to death rates on things like co-morbities and age (I think they used a different term) to equalize numbers, and I'm not sure that is a valid way to count deaths.
If a state has far older population or a far more obese population, you'd expect COVID deaths to be higher, all else equal. This is a proper adjustment. To not adjust for it, is quite frankly irresponsible.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:58 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
Quote:
They wrote Morality instead of Mortality.
Everyone knows the liberal left is severely lacking of any kind of morals, so maybe that is the correct word to use.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:02 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
If a state has far older population or a far more obese population, you'd expect COVID deaths to be higher, all else equal. This is a proper adjustment. To not adjust for it, is quite frankly irresponsible.
I'm not sure I agree with that logic. An argument can be made (you just did), but I'm not sure unweighting covid deaths by state obesity is really something that should be done.

"We are fat and unhealthy so our deaths don't count as much. So we actually did better than our numbers show."

I mean if kids were the ones susceptible would you weight states with more kids as not as bad, even with higher deaths?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with that logic. An argument can be made (you just did), but I'm not sure unweighting covid deaths by state obesity is really something that should be done.

"We are fat and unhealthy so our deaths don't count as much. So we actually did better than our numbers show."

I mean if kids were the ones susceptible would you weight states with more kids as not as bad, even with higher deaths?
This is a ranking of state responses to COVID. Things like aging and obese population going into the COVID pandemic are not something the state can reverse course. So if you want to compare how two states did, and one state had a median age of 80 and another had median age of 20 - comparing just COVID death rates would be very disingenuous!

Obesity and other metabolic disorders may or may not be the fault of the state, but they should be adjusted for as this does not impact how the state did or not in handling COVID.

We can make an argument that states with more obesity and diabetes 2 are not doing other things right. But that's a separate issue.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:19 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
This is a ranking of state responses to COVID. Things like aging and obese population going into the COVID pandemic are not something the state can reverse course. So if you want to compare how two states did, and one state had a median age of 80 and another had median age of 20 - comparing just COVID death rates would be very disingenuous!

Obesity and other metabolic disorders may or may not be the fault of the state, but they should be adjusted for as this does not impact how the state did or not in handling COVID.

We can make an argument that states with more obesity and diabetes 2 are not doing other things right. But that's a separate issue.

But they didn't adjust for population density, and that would also be a huge (pun intended) factor.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2022, 09:27 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:

This may artificially skew Flordia's numbers then. Florida had no mandated lockdown but due to many of our elderly living in concentrated areas those communities and places sort of Self-imposed a lockdown.

The Villages were locked down, non-residents and visitors were not allowed for a while
Many other retirement communities all followed Suite
Nursing homes, Assisted Living facilities, and senior community centers were locked down

Many ALFs and Nursing homes just opened up visitation a few months ago, were locked for over a year.

I don't know how any of this affects the scoring on this chart or any chart. How do you weigh self-imposed lockdowns among the most vulnerable populations in Florida on a scoresheet? A lockdown that only a few states could even pull off due to how concentrated our elderly populations happen to be and how separated they can remain from the rest of Florida's population (maybe Arizona?). Many Florida retirement communities are literally full towns that do not require travel out of the community for many residents.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
But they didn't adjust for population density, and that would also be a huge (pun intended) factor.
I explained in post #31 how population density does not correlate for COVID spread. You'd want to use average intimate personal contacts, data of which I don't know if exists but would be interesting to see for sure.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
This may artificially skew Flordia's numbers then. Florida had no mandated lockdown but due to many of our elderly living in concentrated areas those communities and places sort of Self-imposed a lockdown.

The Villages were locked down, non-residents and visitors were not allowed for a while
Many other retirement communities all followed Suite
Nursing homes, Assisted Living facilities, and senior community centers were locked down

Many ALFs and Nursing homes just opened up visitation a few months ago, were locked for over a year.

I don't know how any of this affects the scoring on this chart or any chart. How do you weigh self-imposed lockdowns among the most vulnerable populations in Florida on a scoresheet? A lockdown that only a few states could even pull off due to how concentrated our elderly populations happen to be and how separated they can remain from the rest of Florida's population (maybe Arizona?). Many Florida retirement communities are literally full towns that do not require travel out of the community for many residents.
It would have an effect but would be hard to adjust for. Voluntary changes in behavior are very hard to measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies