Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2022, 01:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
The revenue that Disney makes off its Florida locations (parks, cruises) is a far larger % of their revenue than the flip.

And they're a for profit company. We're not. If we get less revenue and tourist dollars because we value our kids, we will be happy with that. Now imagine Disney shareholders making less profits and seeing their stock shares slide because Disney's valued sexualizing kids and promoting trannies over profits.

I hope every shareholder is woke lol.
Should all Special Tax Districts be removed in Florida including The Villages as an example? Or just Disney because Disney made DeSantis mad?

Will it be worth it if Disney's departure results in Florida needing an income tax due to the reduction in tourist dollars?

Old 04-21-2022, 01:53 PM

2,284 posts, read 637,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Did Disney do anything illegal in voicing their freedom of speech via Citizen's United? Remember the whole Corporations are people that the GOP used to support?

Did Disney stop the bill from passing? No. What DeSantis and the GOP are doing is spiking the ball and punishing the state's largest employer and largest tourist magnet after they already got the bill they wanted passed.

This is pure revenge for revenge's sake and Disney should both file a lawsuit (since clearly this was designed to punish them for daring to speak) and make plans to reduce their footprint in Florida to the largest extent possible with no future investment in Florida.
DemoDonkey tears in a Seattle rain.

You don't need to do anything illegal to lose a special tax status. You can lose it whenever for whatever reason. Millennials, so entitled, and so wrong.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Should all Special Tax Districts be removed in Florida including The Villages as an example? Or just Disney because Disney made DeSantis mad?

Will it be worth it if Disney's departure results in Florida needing an income tax due to the reduction in tourist dollars?
No, just Disney. Because we will make a lesson out of them. How you like that?

Old 04-21-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
DemoDonkey tears in a Seattle rain.

You don't need to do anything illegal to lose a special tax status. You can lose it whenever for whatever reason. Millennials, so entitled, and so wrong.
And targeting a specific company and punishing them financially for their right to free speech should have consequences for the state of Florida taxpayers.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:55 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Did Disney do anything illegal in voicing their freedom of speech via Citizen's United? Remember the whole Corporations are people that the GOP used to support?

Did Disney stop the bill from passing? No. What DeSantis and the GOP are doing is spiking the ball and punishing the state's largest employer and largest tourist magnet after they already got the bill they wanted passed.

This is pure revenge for revenge's sake and Disney should both file a lawsuit (since clearly this was designed to punish them for daring to speak) and make plans to reduce their footprint in Florida to the largest extent possible with no future investment in Florida.
Has the State of Florida done anything illegal to Disney? No. I am very confident that attorneys have been heavily involved throughout this process. I will also venture an educated guess that a dissolution of the Reedy was in planning for quite some time already in the State.

Your ideas of Disney pulling up stakes are truly darling. I swear I could give you a head noogie for that one, you silly little thing.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
And targeting a specific company and punishing them financially for their right to free speech should have consequences for the state of Florida taxpayers.
I see you don't understand what free speech is.

They have no right to special tax status. They got it sweet talking and bribing politicians. They're losing it now, and I hope their shareholders like losing money over tranny issues. Time will tell.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Has the State of Florida done anything illegal to Disney? No. I am very confident that attorneys have been heavily involved throughout this process. I will also venture an educated guess that a dissolution of the Reedy was in planning for quite some time already in the State.

Your ideas of Disney pulling up stakes are truly darling. I swear I could give you a head noogie for that one, you silly little thing.
Actually I would bet money on Disney when it comes to targeting Disney while leaving GOP friendly Special Tax Districts untouched.

Whether Disney remains in Florida or not, I would not be surprised if they eliminate any future investment in Florida after this. Disney is huge, this is not just about the parks. Disney owns over 200 companies. Don't underestimate their ability to penalize Florida.

Quote:

They have no right to special tax status. They got it sweet talking and bribing politicians. They're losing it now, and I hope their shareholders like losing money over tranny issues. Time will tell.
Disney would have no difficulty proving this was done as punishment for Disney's use of their right to free speech. It's not like DeSantis and the GOP haven't said so publicly. And that's all their lawsuit needs to show. Are other Special Tax Districts such as The Villages being targeted? No. In fact, DeSantis made the announcement from The Villages which itself is a Special Tax District! The irony.

When Disney started building in Reedy, it was nothing but empty swampland. Sounds like they need to be compensated for the hundreds of billions they have invested since then and that will need to come from Florida taxpayers.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:01 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Actually I would bet money on Disney when it comes to targeting Disney while leaving GOP friendly Special Tax Districts untouched.

Whether Disney remains in Florida or not, I would not be surprised if they eliminate any future investment in Florida after this. Disney is huge, this is not just about the parks. Disney owns over 200 companies. Don't underestimate their ability to penalize Florida.
Alrighty then. I’ll keep your warnings in mind. lol.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:

We're shaking in our boots

Old 04-21-2022, 02:03 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:

At the time, in 1967, Florida's Republican governor, Claude Kirk, supported the creation of Reedy Creek because it meant Disney itself funded the infrastructure needed to support the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies