Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2022, 03:30 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,241,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
DeSantis has been governor for three years. Florida could have at any time in that three year period gone back and dissolved special districts that were in place prior to the revised Constitution of the State of Florida of 1968. That he did not, and only did it after he announced his anger at Disney lays a path to a legal challenge.

PS. The Constitution of the State of Florida was not new in 1968, it had been in place since 1885.

That fig leaf MIGHT have flown if not for the fact that the bill's author, Randy Fine, and Gov. DeSantis himself have been very explicit that this is punishment against Disney. The United States Constitution under Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 makes it clear that this was an unconstitutional law.

It won't destroy Disney or other hurt them too much in FL as they are right now. What it might do is cause Disney to change/delay development plans, change/delay moving business units to FL. Neither of those actions would be good for the state of Florida.

The law itself is Constitutional, the intent is questionable at best. Disney could take this to the SCOTUS and they would likely lose.

But Disney is not just fighting the State of Florida, it's fighting a PR battle. Losing the PR battle will cost far more than reestablishing a special district in accordance with the current laws.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:53 PM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
I'm sure you wish it was pizza gate. Spoiler alert: it happened

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida...-former-judge/
Did you bother to read your own link, it indicates 4 employees were arrested, one for soliciting a minor and 3 for soliciting a prostitute do you have any idea how many employees that Disney World employs, 77,000. This is what the right wing does, obviously you can deduce from this one employee that there is widespread grooming of children at Disney for exploitation.

Post I responded to:
Quote:
Disney employees that were grooming children and being part of a sex trafficking ring, that got busted before they could lure their victims to the spot they were going to have then kidnapped.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:34 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Here's the topic "Florida Senate Passes Bill to Eliminate Disney’s Special Tax District" you want to justify what is a childish act because "Disney chose to take the powers that they had, and decided to step into the political boxing ring." Hate to tell you but they are legal residents, pay taxes and vote and they have the same 1st Amendment Rights as every other resident of the state. It doesn't matter if the Governor approves or not, your continued argument over what they criticized has no bearing on this right.

"Indoctrinated, my party, grooming" boy you hit all the right wing talking points. You have no knowledge of my party and invoking a higher power does nothing to justify your argument. My point on the donation is to show his hypocrisy so save the morale outrage for another time along with you "for the children argument"

When the topic is the law that was criticized I will participate if I want to until then show just cause how RCID has been negligent in their obligations or duties.
Disney does not vote. The people that work at Disney are voters, but Disney itself is not. Corporations should not be getting into "whose is bigger" contests with elected officials.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:16 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Well, here's an interesting twist.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...260783972.html

"As Florida legislators were rushing through passage of a bill to repeal the special district that governs Walt Disney World last week, they failed to notice an obscure provision in state law that says the state could not do what legislators were doing — unless the district’s bond debt was paid off."

Old 04-26-2022, 06:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Well, here's an interesting twist.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...260783972.html

"As Florida legislators were rushing through passage of a bill to repeal the special district that governs Walt Disney World last week, they failed to notice an obscure provision in state law that says the state could not do what legislators were doing — unless the district’s bond debt was paid off."

I wish all these people claiming that a statute says this or that would simply site the statute number. Such a provision may only apply to the initial debt. Hard to imagine that the law would allow a district to block any attempt to dissolve it by simply taking on more debt. Districts are never debt-free.

Also interesting that Disney seeks to use such provision to continue as normal. I mean, if Disney really benefits as some claim - no longer paying $100m/yr for the services but continuing to receive the services - then they should be jumping for joy and saying thanks, no take backs.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:34 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,304,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Clause 3, Bills of Attainder and Ex Post Facto Laws? That one? Care to explain how this is an ex post facto law. this will be interesting.
It is a Bill of Attainder. Perhaps you should read the case law from SCOTUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The law itself is Constitutional, the intent is questionable at best. Disney could take this to the SCOTUS and they would likely lose.
I think Disney has good cause to show the bill was intended as punishment, which is really all they need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I wish all these people claiming that a statute says this or that would simply site the statute number. Such a provision may only apply to the initial debt. Hard to imagine that the law would allow a district to block any attempt to dissolve it by simply taking on more debt. Districts are never debt-free.
The language is in the original bill, the Reedy Creek Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
IAlso interesting that Disney seeks to use such provision to continue as normal. I mean, if Disney really benefits as some claim - no longer paying $100m/yr for the services but continuing to receive the services - then they should be jumping for joy and saying thanks, no take backs.
What people fail to grasp is that the taxes aren't the biggest deal to TWDC, it is the permitting process and knowing they will not be held hostage by a government using that process as leverage, as happened to Disney in Anaheim.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:12 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Disney does not vote. The people that work at Disney are voters, but Disney itself is not. Corporations should not be getting into "whose is bigger" contests with elected officials.
I said at the beginning that this wasn't the smartest move for a company but neither is the knee jerk reaction of a thin skinned politician. If there were truly concerns over how Reedy Creek was being run an announcement that the Special District will be reviewed to ensure that it is compliance with current state law would be the correct approach.

Corporations become part of the communities they are located in and establishing that relationship should not require them to give up their constitutional rights. Freedom of speech applies to all whether we like what is being said or not.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:25 AM

2,284 posts, read 637,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It is a Bill of Attainder. Perhaps you should read the case law from SCOTUS.
It's not an ex post facto law from my reading of the bill Fl passed, and that clause. But I'm not a lawyer, so perhaps you can put in your own words how FL's bill meets the criteria as an ex post facto law.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:10 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,183,311 times
Someone just told me that this did not end up going through after all and that Disney is fine and that Disney still has these tax privilege's and DeSantis lost on this one? Is that true?

Old 04-27-2022, 09:58 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,322,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Did you bother to read your own link, it indicates 4 employees were arrested, one for soliciting a minor and 3 for soliciting a prostitute do you have any idea how many employees that Disney World employs, 77,000. This is what the right wing does, obviously you can deduce from this one employee that there is widespread grooming of children at Disney for exploitation.

Post I responded to:

Is this some kind of joke? Seriously, how much more pathetic can you be?! So because Disney employs hundreds of thousands of employees, and this only involved 4, that makes it better?! What the hell is wrong with you?!

And don't even give me "this is what the right wing does" crap. Because you lefties are so disgusting that you don't seem to have an issue with this. Also, I can read just fine. Literally the first paragraph of the article is is:

"Authorities have arrested 108 people, including alleged child sexual predators and those seeking prostitutes, in a six-day undercover human trafficking operation in Florida. Among those taken into custody were four Disney employees and a retired judge, police said."

1 employee is too many, let alone 4. And the fact that Disney tried staying silent on this is disgusting. But carry on with your pathetic attempt to brush this off. I hope no children on this Earth ever has to suffer by being in the same vicinity as you, because it's very clear where you stand on this issue.

I feel gross just replying back to you.

Last edited by DK736; 04-27-2022 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies