Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 08:37 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Trump did reduce illegal entry by building 450 miles of good walls and by implementing the "wait in Mexico" policy. He also ended "catch and release". Anyone who claims that Trump didn't do anything to reduce illegal entry is a damned liar! He also reinstated the workplace raids that Obama discontinued!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 08:38 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
"About 6 million grandparents are raising their grandchildren who live with them.

About 40 percent of grandparents, who have grandchildren under age 13 and live within an
hour from them, are currently providing child care for their grandchildren while parents are
at work or school. Another 19 percent have done so in the past. In total, nearly 60 percent
of grandparents are either providing child care for their grandchildren or have in the past."

https://www.childcareaware.org/wp-co...-finalrept.pdf

And that's from '08 I imagine it's increased.
Not in my life brother. I raised my kids to be independent, just like my parents raised me.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:42 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Not in my life brother. I raised my kids to be independent, just like my parents raised me.
....cool

Point being many grandparents do, and many grandparents were lost.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:42 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How are people paying their bills?
Same way they’ve always paid their bills apart from a 9-5: gig work, side hustle, and small business

eBay, Amazon, YouTube, Uber, Uber eats, instacart, door dash, crypto, onlyfans, etc.

We live in a new age, office work is slowly dying.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:46 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
A relative of mine who is 18 applied, was interviewed at a supermarket and at the interview was told it was unlikely they would be hiring anyone as they're fully staffed. So, why the interviews and begging for applications?

Companies are purposefully running on skeleton crews it seems to me.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:49 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
We do many road trips. Last summer, one of those trips was to the Smoky Mtns via Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee. We made many pit and overnight stops along the way and shortage of workers was obvious everywhere. Hotel pools were closed as there was no one to keep them clean. Turn down (who cares?), and room refreshing services were unavailable. We were assigned multiple rooms that had not been cleaned.

We intended an early dinner at TGIF in Tennessee and decided to dine on the street-facing patio. We, along with a few other tables, waited and waited. Eventually, a server came bye to inform us the entire staff had walked out and she was leaving too. She told us she made $2.13/hr, plus tips, which the server claimed were lousy. she said she could instantly find another job and no question, she could.

Sure enough, there were no employees inside and the doors were propped open. Some would be patrons speculated about helping themselves to the bar. Other would be diners were poring in. We left.
My, you certainly had a run of bad luck. I travel a lot too, in many of the same areas. Only once did I get a hotel room that wasn't clean (enough) and we did attribute that to not only lack of experienced help but also to the quality of the hotel chain itself. Other than that, I'm happy hotels have abandoned their daily cleaning service unless requested. I usually would request no service anyway.

And the $2.13 plus tips is pretty typical. If the restaurant stays busy and customers are generous, it's not a problem. In our travels we talked to many employees who couldn't make enough because the number of customers was so low, not only servers in restaurants but also Uber drivers who had to work longer hours to get enough fares. This was really evident in Vegas among those who serve the convention crowd.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:23 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My, you certainly had a run of bad luck. I travel a lot too, in many of the same areas. Only once did I get a hotel room that wasn't clean (enough) and we did attribute that to not only lack of experienced help but also to the quality of the hotel chain itself. Other than that, I'm happy hotels have abandoned their daily cleaning service unless requested. I usually would request no service anyway.

And the $2.13 plus tips is pretty typical. If the restaurant stays busy and customers are generous, it's not a problem. In our travels we talked to many employees who couldn't make enough because the number of customers was so low, not only servers in restaurants but also Uber drivers who had to work longer hours to get enough fares. This was really evident in Vegas among those who serve the convention crowd.
Depends on where. The local Applebees which is by far the best one I have been to, our favorite waiter made in the 70K neighborhood until covid shut them down and he got a sales job that paid the same but with better hours... Note. he hustled and made it a point to know his regulars. Friend of a friend does about the same at a local Red Robin.

Guess it is true. Location location location. (and hustle)

Old 04-22-2022, 09:39 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It isn't just the younger generation, although their population group is good at using social media to make it appear that way. It's a growing trend in every age group, imho, because it infects whole families and multiple generations.

I've literally lost count of the number of shocked/appalled replies I have gotten in these various wage/work/income/MW threads where I explain to the various "it's not fair" whiners that there are more than 40 hours in a week, you can have more than 1 job, and you can do lots and lots of resume building without pay if you understand that the world owes you nothing. I doubt all my countless detractors over the years were all 18 year old wastrels. Methinks given the sheer volume of bleeding heart laziness I have had thrown at me, it spans the various age demographics just fine.

Hell, in my own family, I have naysayers across three generations who lament that the ACT/SAT are unfair, studying and doing homework are unfair, working more than 40 hours per week is unfair, having to do unpaid school/work outside normal hours to advance your career is unfair, etc etc.

No no, it isn't just the young with an ever declining notion of work ethic. It's everywhere, across all age brackets. The young might indeed have a higher percentage, maybe, I don't know or care. America generally has a declining work ethic, period.
And some CA legislator(s) want to introduce a 32 hr workweek.

Many people absolutely hold the position that a single 40 hour (even 35 hr, given health insurance requirement) job should pay an indeterminate "living wage".

And the # of people who believe once you turn 18, your own solo apartment is a "right".

Old 04-22-2022, 11:03 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I'd have to do a little research to find the reference, but I am under the impression that the largest percentage of those who left the workforce were Boomers not Gen-Z. And why are we counting on Gen Z to hold up the workforce? Most of them are still kids, and many of those who can work are still in school, and their income is not needed to support a family or even themselves. My own kids took a year off of working when the pandemic hit because they were living at home with their father and me while taking classes remotely. Neither of them had an income for either 2020, and one of them had no income for 2021. So? That doesn't mean they're out to get Millennials.

Wow....I didn't know I needed to break it down this far. Once again, I am aware a chunk of the people leaving the workforce are Boomers. Having said that, statistics show that Boomers won't be completely out of the workforce until 2031. So we have 9 years to go before that generation has fully retired.

Secondly, why wouldn't we count on Gen-Z to help hold up the workforce? Do you not understand how society works? College students graduate, enter the workforce in droves, which helps increase job growth, stabilizes the unemployment rate, and helps keep the economy moving. And as Gen-Z enters, the generations before them usually move up in the ranks to make room. It also helps companies grow and become more productive. That's how it works.

And your comparison is literally apples and oranges. A lot of people took time off during the pandemic, especially in the beginning. We didn't know much about the virus, and we also allowed the pandemic to disrupt our education system horrendously. It screwed up the workforce as well. So I don't blame those that took time off. Also. Gen-Z totally has an issue with Millennials. While both generations have similar viewpoints, studies have shown that Gen-Z feels Millennials are too obsessed with corporate America and the workforce in general. Which is hilarious, because this is the same generation who'd rather spend more time making fun of Millennials in terms of "fashion choices," while they're the ones trying to make Mom jeans cool again. Nice to see where their priorities are.

Of course, the media salivated over this, and turned it into a bigger issue. Here's an article written by Gen-Z on it. It's quite sad and pathetic:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dumb...155146298.html

Old 04-22-2022, 11:05 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Boomers have been retiring for years now. It's finally catching up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies