Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 10:20 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Definitely. I’m starting to look at these migrants as people we need, not to be kept out. But get the criminals before they enter the country.
It's my understanding that immigrants commit less crimes. Do you have a statistic proving otherwise? Naturally no one wants to have more criminals enter the country. I'm for any way we can achieve that without violating an entire group of people like these rules about religious affiliation. We can't say America stands for religious freedom while discriminating against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 10:22 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Good points all around.

Big 2 would clearly be the retirees and then all of the people working "cash jobs" or self-employed from home.

Also throw in all of the people that have pushed for disability or workers' comp during Covid.

Some states like CA made it that if you got Covid, it was automatically assumed you caught it at work = workers' comp.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:24 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's my understanding that immigrants commit less crimes. Do you have a statistic proving otherwise? Naturally no one wants to have more criminals enter the country. I'm for any way we can achieve that without violating an entire group of people like these rules about religious affiliation. We can't say America stands for religious freedom while discriminating against them.
Pretty important to denote legal immigrants as opposed to illegal immigrants.

Legal immigrants are generally screened, I'd suspect they're on average not very criminal.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:26 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pretty important to denote legal immigrants as opposed to illegal immigrants.

Legal immigrants are generally screened, I'd suspect they're on average not very criminal.
What's the crime rate on illegal then? From what I read they are more likely to be victims of crimes. Maybe we just shouldn't let any men in because men commit the majority of violent crimes.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:50 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
What's the crime rate on illegal then? From what I read they are more likely to be victims of crimes. Maybe we just shouldn't let any men in because men commit the majority of violent crimes.
Illegals are much more likely to be victims of crimes committed by illegals. Maybe we just shouldn't let any illegals in because illegals commit the majority of violent crimes against illegals. No one should ever be rewarded when they break the law.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:51 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Why work when you can get paid not to work? In Texas people were making a minimum of $800 a week cash money during the Trump administration. Take home. No income tax on it.
Never in my entire life have I witnessed people that ecstatic to be unemployed.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Daycare costs have become exorbitant, as that labor pool is facing the same issue, exacerbating the issue as many families revert to single income.
Million people are dead.
Number of people retiring annually is near twice what it was pre-pandemic.
My husband finally retired last year at age 75, the oldest boomer year. It was not Covid that got to him. It was not the commute. It was the social isolation that pushed him over the edge. So now he volunteers in a county program to do controlled burns in county forest preserves with other able-bodied seniors.

Eleven months later, and his former job has yet to be filled. His former employer has sought to bring him on as an independent contractor. Husband has no interest.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:07 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Definitely. I’m starting to look at these migrants as people we need, not to be kept out. But get the criminals before they enter the country.

I never understood why an ITIN wasn't slapped on everyone who crossed the border. If you're going to give them months to mill around while "waiting for a court hearing" - earn your keep.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:11 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times
Quote:
I'm genx. I remember being in high school in the 80s and they were already predicting problems when the Boomers starting retiring. That might have something to do with it.
Same generation, similar memory. And about 2010 they started ("they") chatter in articles about how the service industry was going to be all that was left of the US economy, and the wild services offered would be almost absurd. Grocery shopping, individual food delivery service - was all just a pipe dream in this article but on the way. They didn't have the term 'gig worker' up and running yet, but that's what the articles were predicting.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why work when you can get paid not to work? In Texas people were making a minimum of $800 a week cash money during the Trump administration. Take home. No income tax on it.
Never in my entire life have I witnessed people that ecstatic to be unemployed.
How so?

Do you mean the temporary topper on Unemployment benefits? Wasnt that reduced to $300 and then eliminated in its entirety?

Unlike the lump sum stimulus payments, I thought all Unemployment benefits were taxable income, no?

All the Covid benefits are history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies