Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 12:42 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Oops, thanks for catching that. Meant to put Gen-Z. I fixed it.
And how are they the problem? The oldest of Gen-Z has just graduated college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 12:49 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
And how are they the problem? The oldest of Gen-Z has just graduated college.

Uhhhhhh, what? The oldest of Gen Z is in the workforce. I have two cousins that are proof of that, as they're 24 and 22. Again......look up the great resignation. I literally provided a link on it. Gen-Z has a poor attitude/work ethic when they began entering the workforce. They have a burning desire to attack my generation for some reason (Millennials) and picked apart the work environment. From demanding they work remotely, to new dress codes, to demanding more perks in the office, demanding higher pay right out of college with no experience, and proudly encouraging others to job hop as many times as necessary until you find the job that "gives you everything."

Gen-Z is literally telling employers "I quit" if they don't get their way over the smallest thing that they deem important. Many of them are quitting jobs because they'd rather have a "carefree lifestyle that allows them to focus on themselves and their hobbies." That's great and all, but you need income in order to do that.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Uhhhhhh, what? The oldest of Gen Z is in the workforce. I have two cousins that are proof of that, as they're 24 and 22. Again......look up the great resignation. I literally provided a link on it. Gen-Z has a poor attitude/work ethic when they began entering the workforce. They have a burning desire to attack my generation for some reason (Millennials) and picked apart the work environment. From demanding they work remotely, to new dress codes, to demanding more perks in the office, demanding higher pay right out of college with no experience, and proudly encouraging others to job hop as many times as necessary until you find the job that "gives you everything."

Gen-Z is literally telling employers "I quit" if they don't get their way over the smallest thing that they deem important. Many of them are quitting jobs because they'd rather have a "carefree lifestyle that allows them to focus on themselves and their hobbies." That's great and all, but you need income in order to do that.
News to me! I have a Gen Z child who is working as an engineer. She gets up every morning, dresses professionally, and heads into the office for a full day of work without a fuss. Her friends who are not currently in grad school do, too. I've never heard the first complaint from her or her peers about Millennials, although I have definitely heard echoes of Boomer-bashing, mostly revolving around the cost of housing.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:57 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
News to me! I have a Gen Z child who is working as an engineer. She gets up every morning, dresses professionally, and heads into the office for a full day of work without a fuss. Her friends who are not currently in grad school do, too. I've never heard the first complaint from her or her peers about Millennials, although I have definitely heard echoes of Boomer-bashing, mostly revolving around the cost of housing.

And that's great. Just like every generation, not all of them have bad apples. It's why I don't blame Boomers for everything like my friends do. Having said that, facts and data are a thing, and data shows Gen-Z is the highest unemployed, and that they were the driving force for the great resignation. But it's blatantly obvious that you're choosing to think with your feelings and not with logic, along with facts and data. Someone literally provided the numbers on it a few pages back.....but ok.

Also...I thought you said the oldest of Gen-Z just graduated college? So which one is it? Because by your logic, that means your child wouldn't be able to have a career in engineering.

It's also obvious that you refuse to look at the facts. So here we go, once again:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-demands.html

https://nypost.com/2021/08/21/gen-z-...d-lack-values/

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/09/the-...ull-swing.html

https://www.wgu.edu/blog/who-is-gen-...place1906.html

Old 04-21-2022, 12:59 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
They do exist. Head to reddit Antiwork... Wear boots for the 2' deep poo on the floor but it is an interesting read.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
And that's great. Just like every generation, not all of them have bad apples. It's why I don't blame Boomers for everything like my friends do. Having said that, facts and data are a thing, and data shows Gen-Z is the highest unemployed, and that they were the driving force for the great resignation. But it's blatantly obvious that you're choosing to think with your feelings and not with logic, along with facts and data. Someone literally provided the numbers on it a few pages back.....but ok.
I'd have to do a little research to find the reference, but I am under the impression that the largest percentage of those who left the workforce were Boomers not Gen-Z. And why are we counting on Gen Z to hold up the workforce? Most of them are still kids, and many of those who can work are still in school, and their income is not needed to support a family or even themselves. My own kids took a year off of working when the pandemic hit because they were living at home with their father and me while taking classes remotely. Neither of them had an income for either 2020, and one of them had no income for 2021. So? That doesn't mean they're out to get Millennials.

Last edited by kj1065; 04-21-2022 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-21-2022, 01:05 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:

I wouldn't equate picking apart the work environment, demanding remote work, doing away with silly dress codes, etc with poor attitude/work ethic. A lot of that is just nonsense that's a case of "we've always done it this way". The drift from stiffs in suits to more casual work environments really started going with Gen X. They're the upcoming labor pool with it becoming a "worker's market" as demographics change. Good for them for negotiating a more favorable work environment. Productivity continues to increase(much faster than pay at that).

Old 04-21-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Also...I thought you said the oldest of Gen-Z just graduated college? So which one is it? Because by your logic, that means your child wouldn't be able to have a career in engineering.
Why can't she have a career in engineering? She graduated with her degree last year and was hired into a firm where she's been working ever since. I consider anyone only one year out of college to be "just graduated." Perhaps that's my age showing?

Quote:
It's also obvious that you refuse to look at the facts. So here we go, once again:

[url]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10149905/Gen-Z-workers-terrifying-millennial-bosses-woke-demands.html[/url]

[url]https://nypost.com/2021/08/21/gen-z-students-are-less-educated-more-depressed-and-lack-values/[/url]

[url]https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/09/the-great-resignation-is-still-in-full-swing.html[/url]

[url]https://www.wgu.edu/blog/who-is-gen-z-how-they-impact-workplace1906.html[/url]
I'm not sure what facts you think are proved in the above links. Resignation does not mean that they left the workforce entirely, only that they resigned. Furthermore, serial job changes are common in that demographic, so one Gen Z might have a half-dozen resignations to his name. So? What, again, is the problem that they've caused? You are obviously very amped up about...something?...but I can't determine what that something is. Please explain.

The oldest of the Gen Z cohort is all of 24 years old as I understand it. That means that a full 25% of their working years coincided with a pandemic. Many of these kids were working customer service jobs that were entirely eliminated because of shut downs and decreased demand. Those that had the option may have left the workforce to attend school. Some of them changed jobs and may have done so several times for better pay or working conditions.

At core, though, we're facing a demographic problem in that the kids who used to staff the drive-through windows at McDonald's are just not that numerous. Those jobs have been taken by slightly older people, some immigrants, for whom pay and working conditions are very meaningful. Sending a teenager who lives with his parents home from his fast food job a few hours early because it's a slow night isn't a big deal, but it's a big problem for a 24-year-old who has bills to pay. Thus, they move on, looking for something better.

Last edited by kj1065; 04-21-2022 at 02:26 PM..

Old 04-21-2022, 01:19 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,972 times
Quote:
And when did I ever say Boomers didn't have a right to retire? Now you're just putting words in my mouth."
Reread my post and then you can apologize when you notice I didn't state you said anything on the subject. No 'words in your mouth'. My own statement.

Quote:
It's totally relevant if he's a Liberal. It's mostly Liberals/Progressives who are demanding that someone at a McJob gets paid as much as an underwriter for an insurance company. ."
I'm pretty sure that is a great exaggeration. Maybe I should now gripe that you 'put words into his mouth'. The market will determine what people get paid for the most part, although I also like that there is a minimum wage so hard workers that work the hardest jobs are getting enough money to at least survive.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:45 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Yes I agree. Legal would be nice, but illegal gets the job done as well. Our system isn't working properly so people take matter in their own hands. If it weren't for the millions of illegals, and their tens of millions offspring working, our economy would have already fallen apart. Apparently our elected people don't want to fix the issue perhaps they think the current broken system is the best we are going to get.
Well, it is no easy matter getting from some country in South America to the Mexican border, then crossing and being smuggled north to the border cities. So there is a kind of natural selection in our "system" that favors the strong, healthy, and desperately willing to work for their own betterment. It is actually quite similar to European immigration into the US and the westward migration of the pioneers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies