Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 09:02 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Eh, maybe they will make it law that only those with 4 year college degrees can run for office and/or be allowed to vote in the future.
Education doesn't make one intelligent or mean they have any common sense..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 09:07 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
But a demented old man can be president.
Because of mean tweets and hurt feelings …and the debacles of voting for the dented old man are endless, along with war, while the big orange meanie was able to keep the peace.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:08 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
tis better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.

personally, I'm shocked it took 3 days for someone to ponder this without a simple google search to protect them.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:17 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not currently, you'd have to change the rules, which can be done in theory but won't in reality.

I hope they do not change the law. It shouldn't be changed just because one side or the other found someone born in another country they would vote for. I believe strongly in preserving the basic framework set in place by the founding fathers. On many things, they were wise beyond their time.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:31 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I hope they do not change the law. It shouldn't be changed just because one side or the other found someone born in another country they would vote for. I believe strongly in preserving the basic framework set in place by the founding fathers. On many things, they were wise beyond their time.
What?!?! You don't want to see Musk run against Putin?

Old 04-29-2022, 09:47 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Not without an act of congress.
Constitutional amendment, IIRC?

Old 04-29-2022, 09:50 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
My god, why in the world would he want to run for US President? It's such a thankless job these days. Elon needs to focus on technology and his new hobby of "stopping the insanity."

Old 04-29-2022, 09:53 AM

25,448 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
One requirement is that a candidate must be born on US soil. He was not born in the United States. But if I am not mistaken, Ted Cruz has run for president before, or has at least considered it. So can Elon Musk run for president some day? I almost believe he is setting himself up for a future run in a decade or 2. I think Trump's election gave him some ideas...
No.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:54 AM

900 posts, read 375,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
But a demented old man can be president.
the demented old man is still an american citizen .... so yes he can be president ..

Old 04-29-2022, 10:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no. cruz was born of a US citizen (his mom); musk was not.
Cruz was unaware of his dual citizenship and when revealed, gave up Canadian citizenship to demonstrate loyalty.

The issue is that the Constitution does not define “ natural born “ and there is no agreement among scholars.

Nonetheless, Musk is clearly not eligible given he was born in South Africa to a Canadian mother and South African father. He moved to Canada to attend university. He hold citizenship in 3 countries, South Africa, Canada and the US.

While Musk appears to be the current darling of a subset of Conservatives, his ideologies have long been all over the place. He was a strong supporter of Obama.

He supported Andrew Yang and Universal Basic Income, a carbon emissions tax and estate taxes. Then he supported Kanye West’s run as an Independent. He claimed Trump did not have the character to be President.

He believes in global warming.

He criticized Bush, Obama and Trump.

He defines himself as non- partisan, socially liberal and financially conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies