Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 09:30 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
On the contrary, it is FACT - the state level is where abortions laws were until Roe v. Wade.

It's not what I don't like, it's what a lot of very shrill people on the left do, and it's not irrelevant. Doxxing the home addresses of the conservative Justices was done to intimidate them.

Thuggery at its finest, just like the threats given to jurors in trials such as that of Derek Chauvin and of the McMichaels.
Yes. The abortion issue was left to the states before the Roe decision. I remember what it was like for women then. It was not pretty.

Below quote is what I objected to in your post. I said there is no "must be." It is a legal opinion as to whether abortion is for the Supreme Court to decide vs a state issue. They have not decided that yet.

Quote:
But an overturning as per Justice Alito's draft would simply send the issue back to the state level, where it was until 1973 and where it must be as per the Constitution.
I agree, the doxing of the justices was wrong. Leaking of a draft document from the Supreme Court was also wrong.

I don't know why you would mention murder trials in this thread.

Last edited by ansible90; 05-07-2022 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-07-2022, 10:13 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's considered medically necessary. An abortion for the sake of a woman's convenience isn't medically necessary, it's elective, like cosmetic surgery.

Poll respondents themselves placed different approval levels on which reasons for abortion they support keeping legal. An abortion for the sake of a woman's convenience doesn't get much support, less than half would support keeping that legal.
Is this the poll you're talking about:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supr...l_twitter_abcn

And is this the quote you're talking about ?:

The public divides on another circumstance: When the woman cannot afford to have a child, 48% say abortion should be legal, 45% illegal. Support for legal abortion in this case is its highest in six polls dating back to 1996.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:16 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
That precedent regarding states’ rights was rendered moot by the American Civil War when the Slaver states perceived it was their right to own people as property.
Quite apparently not as widely varying restrictions placed on 2nd Amendment Rights still exist under current law.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:22 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
WHAT do some of you not grasp that if 2nd Amendment Rights can be restricted by state laws, so can any perceived right to abortion?

Old 05-07-2022, 10:26 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
None of your links claim that the fetus is a parasite. In order for it to be a parasite it would have to be different species. I don’t think you understand what you’re reading.
I don't think YOU understand. A parasite does not have to be a different species. I gave you the medical and science on this. You chose to deny it. You, instead, went to a dictionary.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I don't think YOU understand. A parasite does not have to be a different species. I gave you the medical and science on this. You chose to deny it. You, instead, went to a dictionary.
By definition, it absolutely does. Your links don’t say what you think they say.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:30 AM

6,038 posts, read 2,854,310 times
Default Bill Maher: Arguing Roe Is ‘Settled Law’ Is Nonsense, Plessy Was Settled Law

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022...s-settled-law/

My only critique with his statement is that Roe V Wade is not a "law". Other than that, he is 100% correct.

It is nice to see a rational liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitbart News
On Friday’s broadcast of HBO’s “Real Time,” host Bill Maher said that arguments that Roe v. Wade is “settled law” are nonsense and pointed out that “Plessy v. Ferguson was settled law in 1896 and thank God somebody said, let’s unsettle it.” He also pushed back against arguments that overturning Roe will lead to the overturning of other precedents like marriage because “abortion is unique” and it would make sense why someone who thinks abortion is murder doesn’t think there’s a right to one.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:38 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Quite apparently not as widely varying restrictions placed on 2nd Amendment Rights still exist under current law.
Quote:
WHAT do some of you not grasp that if 2nd Amendment Rights can be restricted by state laws, so can any perceived right to abortion?
Reality trumps your assertions as each state has enacted legislation regarding gun laws.

The Civil Rights Acts of the 50s & 60s are analogous to the current scenario. For over a century, each state enacted legislation based on the states’ rights canard.

Libertaryans in the present day still oppose some of the individual rights protections of the Civil Rights Acts of the 50s & 60s.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:45 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,986,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes. The abortion issue was left to the states before the Roe decision. I remember what it was like for women then. It was not pretty.

Below quote is what I objected to in your post. I said there is no "must be." It is a legal opinion as to whether abortion is for the Supreme Court to decide vs a state issue. They have not decided that yet.

I agree, the doxing of the justices was wrong. Leaking of a draft document from the Supreme Court was also wrong.

I don't know why you would mention murder trials in this thread.
It was. Roe v Wade was never intended to be a means of birth control for woman due to future inconvenience which the overwhelming majority of abortions are. When mass amounts of people abuse the situation regulations are set in place to curb that.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:48 AM

23,648 posts, read 12,569,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
By definition, it absolutely does. Your links don’t say what you think they say.
Maybe calling the unborn children parasites and non human is a racism thing, since the majority of pregnant women in this country are non whites. I wonder if that poster walks up to pregnant black women and tells them their unborn child is nothing but a parasite or that it isn't human?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies