Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 09:42 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Then take an EPT. They are cheap.
beat me to it. even dollar tree sells 'em.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:42 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't see any reference to "changing science" in Alito's opinion but I have not read through the 98 pages only the highlights, maybe you can point it out. Seems like his main thrust is that a womans right to an abortion isn't protected by the constitution and should be referred to the states.

They could have challenged the law over the last 50 years, why didn't they take action until now. Pretty obvious that they now had a receptive court with conservative justices, it wasn't about science. Another 5-4 decision.

This will mostly impact poor minority women living at or slightly above the poverty level.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...sages-00029470
You are moving the goal posts. The science in the 1973 ruling is more advanced and there were assumptions that are no longer true to make the ruling.

You can support Roe v Wade without denying science.

P.S. so you are saying Republicans want more black people?

Old 05-03-2022, 09:43 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That might be true. But how about the left puts an effort into heavily promoting birth control? That would make back alley abortions less necessary.
Could say the same about the right. If fewer abortions is the goal, why not promote birth control and sex ed in your states?

Old 05-03-2022, 09:45 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The Fourteenth Amendment prohibits a state from depriving someone of liberty without due process of law. Taking away the right to make a decision whether to have an abortion during the first trimester of pregnancy violates that provision.
Quote:
So I assume you’re also against vaccine mandates because they deprive someone of liberty without due process of the law?
Where did you go, Mark? Would answering this question perhaps show inconsistent principles?

Old 05-03-2022, 09:45 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
“My body, my choice”

That’s a total BS argument. Young men have been drafted into the Army in this country since the Civil War under penalty of imprisonment or worse. I think the 60,000 who died in Vietnam would gladly rather carry a baby to term, give birth and give it up for adoption. Such drama queens you women.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:46 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
She answered your question already. Many women are not regular so missing a period is not always an indicator of pregnancy.
No, she didn't. I asked how many. It is a lot? A few? What does "many" mean in this context? Is this something that is quantifiable?

Old 05-03-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
^ You forgot to take your emotions out of this.

I honestly do not know where to start with the emotional drivel you posted...
She thinks all republicans are bible thumpers who hate poor people. There is no getting through.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:47 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The majority party consists of independents and many in that party are pro food stamps and social support system and may not be gung ho about abortion. Maybe they support it for the first trimester only.

Many Republicans who don’t support food stamps do support food banks, shelters, etc. a lot of it is about who administers the help.

These antiquated ideas that all Republicans think this and all Democrats think that are often missing a lot of context and gray area.
All I can point to is the legislatures in Republican led states who have passed laws curtailing a woman’s right to choose. They were elected not appointed, so their constituency agrees with their views. If they voted for them and do not, they’re still culpable.

And while they may support food banks in lieu of food stamps, there’s no question that there are babies, children and adults still going hungry despite whatever level of support is being rendered. That just shows that while private entities can be part of the solution, they don’t have the level of support to be the entire solution.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It’s not emotional at all. It’s fact. More poor people = more costs to a State to support them. It’s that way now and it’ll be that way when more poor babies and children are added to the welfare rolls.
It’s not a fact that republicans are bible thumpers who hate poor people. Nope.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:48 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You can take a pregnancy test before a first missed period. I didn't know this when I was trying to get pregnant and I read it somewhere. I took an EPT and it was positive. As I said earlier, I have 30 days to return a dress that I don't like/doesn't fit. It it eliminates killing a baby, you can figure it out.
Why would a woman take a pregnancy test if she doesn't suspect she might be pregnant? Are you saying a woman with irregular periods should take a pregnancy test a few days after every sex act? That would be an awful lot of tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies