Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 10:13 AM

30,775 posts, read 18,521,144 times

Advertisements

I'm skeptical as well. I liken it to support for so-called universal background checks. Polling shows that it's supported by the vast majority of Americans. Yet, Dems don't get a bump on election day on this issue and the GOP isn't hurt on the issue. People believing in something doesn't mean that it is a top priority for them.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,281,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
So you're blaming the physician for your own willful ignorance? I admit, those packets of information packed in the box with pills, is a pita reading it, but you're making a case for "Well, NOBODY told me!"
How many of those little packets have you actually read? Most people don't and they trust their doctor to prescribe the correct medication for them. Part of the paperwork you fill out before a Dr visit is what medications you are currently taking this is in part to prevent prescribing medications that can counteract other medications or could cause adverse effects.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:14 AM

38,748 posts, read 22,534,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it doesn't make nearly as much sense as some nutty far-left lower-level flunkie leaking it in an attempt to rile the abortion-worshipping base to save the donkey party from being decimated in november.
It's almost a given that the left will incite their mobs to protest and inflame emotions the closer we get to an election. It's how dems get elected, create hate, fear, anger, anxiety, worry and instill fear for others. They cannot win if voters are calm and look at the issues in a rational and thoughtful manner. They need people to be over emotional so they make rash, knee jerk decision, base upon raw emotions.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:14 AM

598 posts, read 902,552 times
This is clearly a huge victory on pro life side, and I'm intrigued why we don't hear more celebration from pro-lifers. Aren't you guys happy that you won (at least for now) this war that's been going on for 5 decades? Reading about the reactions of GOP politicians and comments here, you guys appear a bit anxious?

Old 05-04-2022, 10:15 AM

39,950 posts, read 26,685,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's what gets me. Folks talk about this like it is some inconsequential decision. I rarely if ever hear abortionists even mention the life that is being snuffed out.
Honestly I'm conflicted about the whole thing myself. I support abortion rights up to a point. Mental or physical abnormality, fine, at any time. Mother's life in actual danger, sure, any time. After 8 months, whey you're carrying a baby, and you decide then that it's not convenient to carry that life for another month? Not so much. First days, when you have an undifferentiated mass of cells, yes. But still, I don't delude myself, abortion IS KILLING TINY HUMANS. Consolidating that with my leanings of personal liberty as a libertarian...cognitive dissidence. But I won't deny the science. This is a tiny human we're talking about, not a dog, a cat, a bald eagle (which gets far more protection than tiny humans), not a parasite.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:15 AM

13,861 posts, read 4,472,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
It serves conservatives to have it leak early, too because it will take the sting out of the official decision when it's issued at the end of the session, which is no doubt uncomfortably close to the election for conservatives who are rightly worried that it will bring out the Democratic vote.
You think abortion is the #1 issue today? If they overturn Roe, it will not ban abortions in the blue states. In the red states it will be regulated and prohibited after the 15 month like the majority of the voters in those states want. Unless people are stupid and wants to put a non-issue that something that affects a small % of the population over food, gas and everyday living I don't see how is this going to be the #1 issue deciding the mid-terms.

It doesn't serve liberals? and throwing red meat to the base and raising donations and changing the narrative from the economy to this? You are naive about politics.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:16 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,168,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: [url]https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/04/democrats-scotus-abortion-midterms-00029810[/url]

I'm skeptical as well.

I believe Americans care about inflation, illegal immigration, the economy, education, and many other issues *far more* than they do about making sure as many unborn babies are killed as possible.
Women make up the majority of this country, and I think you do a disservice in discounting how important this issue is to them, regardless of which side of the argument any individual is on. This will have an impact in November, how much is yet to be seen, but it will have an impact.

And have you been to a school board meeting lately? There are always a few lunatics in the crowd, and they're definitely noisy, but they're still lunatics.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:16 AM

53,472 posts, read 35,179,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's almost a given that the left will incite their mobs to protest and inflame emotions the closer we get to an election. It's how dems get elected, create hate, fear, anger, anxiety, worry and instill fear for others. They cannot win if voters are calm and look at the issues in a rational and thoughtful manner. They need people to be over emotional so they make rash, knee jerk decision, base upon raw emotions.
exactly.

president houseplant's stellar record will not get them to the polls. mass hysteria and deMSM-hyped outrage might.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,281,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
NUMBER one most ridiculous argument of all.
Can you be forced to donate blood?
Can you be forced to give an organ?
Can you be forced to risk your health or life to keep another person alive?

No.

Even corpses have bodily autonomy. You get to choose what will happen to your body after you die even if your organs could save a life. You have to consent to the use of your body to keep someone else alive. I believe that living breathing women should have at least as much right to their body as a corpse.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:18 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,871,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's what gets me. Folks talk about this like it is some inconsequential decision. I rarely if ever hear abortionists even mention the life that is being snuffed out.
Sure. The potential for a baby is ending. I still support a woman’s right to choose abortion or keeping the baby or adoption. Here’s where you gleefully call me a murderer for being Pro Choice. A moniker I do not give 2 (insert swear word here) about coming from randoms on the internet when it pertains to choice.

And I don’t believe the choice is inconsequential for any woman who has made it for whatever reasons. It’s just none of my business unless it’s my pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies