Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 05:48 AM

198 posts, read 261,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Yup. It's the Democrats orchestrating more civil unrest in advance of an election, just like they did during the "Summer of Love."

If we had a legitimate federal government with an actual Department of Justice and FBI that wasn't controlled by people trying to destroy the country, it would be easy to prove that all of this mayhem is being done at the behest of Democrats and Democrat donors. As it stands, we have to rely on common sense and circumstantial evidence to put two and two together.
This is Amazing. Republican appointed judges, fulfilling a Republican promise to its voters, yet it’s the Democrats who created the mayhem. This country is doomed,two plus two now equals five.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:54 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Privacy is dead. Everyone has a device. Those days are over.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:59 AM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
No. I am shocked that you sincerely think that science hasn't expanded in the past half century since Roe v. Wade.

If you go by what the justices reasoned on that case, the science has evolved to knowing babies feel pain earlier, can survive earlier outside the womb, better contraception, etc.

It is perfectly okay if you want to keep Roe v. Wade. It is not okay to buy into some propaganda media narrative that there have been zero scientific advancements since 1973 that have muted the Supreme Court's exact reasoning from a half century ago.

It would be more honest to argue new reasoning as well as the old reasoning about the autonomy of the individual against the state while maintaining that an unborn isn't an individual than to be a science denier.

http://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-...nd-11635449644

If Roe v. Wade is undone, it simply goes back to the states where ~75% of Americans live in states unlikely to make any big changes.
I don't see any reference to "changing science" in Alito's opinion but I have not read through the 98 pages only the highlights, maybe you can point it out. Seems like his main thrust is that a womans right to an abortion isn't protected by the constitution and should be referred to the states.

They could have challenged the law over the last 50 years, why didn't they take action until now. Pretty obvious that they now had a receptive court with conservative justices, it wasn't about science. Another 5-4 decision.

This will mostly impact poor minority women living at or slightly above the poverty level.

Quote:
“It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

“Roe was egregiously wrong from the start. Its reasoning was exceptionally weak, and the decision has had damaging consequences. And far from bringing about a national settlement of the abortion issue, Roe and Casey have enflamed debate and deepened division. It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...sages-00029470

Old 05-03-2022, 06:00 AM

Civil rights legislation from the 1960s are next on the chopping block. The right wing played the long game and won. Honestly this is just what the left needed to get their stuff together and become a functional party again.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:01 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Whether a governor candidate supports banning abortion in that state, or not, will be the # topic for governor races in many states.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:04 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
This was, is and always will be a STATE issue. The Constitution made this unequivocally clear.

IMO the court ruled correctly.
That's always been my understanding, too. But abortion has been legal my entire adult life, so I was never privy to the legal arguments on either side at the time of Roe v Wade.
I am an independent conservative who is 'pro-abortion,' although I hate to frame it as such. The decision to abort a pregnancy should be made between a woman, her doctor, and her God, whatever/whoever that may be. I've never believed this 'issue' has a place in political discussion or as a platform for one party or the other.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Whoever did it, is in BIG trouble....disbarment, for sure.
The judges have always been kicking around the idea that Roe v. Wade did not belong in the constitution. Abortion will remain, decided by the states.
To me, reversal isn’t the big story, but the leak is.
Nothing will happen to them because any and everyone can now leak digital records. It's become too easy. The leak is a big deal and my guess is that it was done to shake up the midterms. My guess is that one of the progressive justices did it. It is NOT a good look for the Justice Roberts. It looks like he has lost control of the court and it's now just another political football.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:06 AM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
i assume that the leak came from an activist clerk. if the leaker was a justice's clerk acting to stir up a political firestorm, i predict that the country will survive the return of abortion laws to the states far more easily than it will the destruction of the supreme court.

this leak is a sign of deep trouble to come, as trusted law clerks break their oaths (and the law, probably) and start sabotaging the court.
The 1973 Roe decision was also leaked in advance, I believe there have been others.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:08 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
We'll see if that ends up being the final. Although I favor legalizing abortion through the first trimester I fear that if this is true with respect to the decision that this will actually put Republicans back a bit as people realize that this really means for so many people. I thought Republicans had the House sewn up for 2022 but this is a wild card that makes that less likely. I know I'll see a bunch of posters saying that polls say people don;lt vote on this subject, but that was when it was not really an issue.
Single issue voters where abortion is the only issue that matters will vote on the subject. Both those are extremists on each side. For most voters its not going to change how they vote. For me I am pro choice but also respect states rights and letting states decide this makes sense.

The pressure on Biden to pack the court will be immense. Will he do it? Not doing so might end any chance of him running in 2024. Doing it will open a Pandora's box that we won't be able to close.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
That's always been my understanding, too. But abortion has been legal my entire adult life, so I was never privy to the legal arguments on either side at the time of Roe v Wade.
I am an independent conservative who is 'pro-abortion,' although I hate to frame it as such. The decision to abort a pregnancy should be made between a woman, her doctor, and her God, whatever/whoever that may be. I've never believed this 'issue' has a place in political discussion or as a platform for one party or the other.
It's always been that way. The rich conservative pastor screaming on Sunday morning about the evil of abortion makes sure his mistress gets one safely.

Elections have consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies