Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abortion Compromise: No abortion after 18 weeks, except to save mom's life, but increased social saf
Yes 10 34.48%
No 19 65.52%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 08:32 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. It always should have been a right guaranteed by the constitution.

Sounds like you're changing your mind?
Hi Clara, to which part of the Constitution are you referring, that guarantees the right to have an abortion? (this is a serious, not argumentative, question)

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:40 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Hi Clara, to which part of the Constitution are you referring, that guarantees the right to have an abortion? (this is a serious, not argumentative, question)

Thanks.
Amendment 4. "Secure in their persons"

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

And Amendment 14, "equal protection under the law", which is the basis of Roe V Wade passing 7-2.

More to the point, I think the right to choose a medical procedure falls within things that are not specifically said in the constitution - and since the constitution doesn't turn over the right to decide any medical procedure to any governing board at all, it's understood that the citizens can choose their own medical procedures without interference from the state.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:50 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
A fetus can move at 6 weeks.

A fetus has a heartbeat around 6 and a half weeks.

A fetus has a nervous system and a brain with three parts at 7 weeks.

A fetus has limbs at 8 weeks.

A fetus has separate fingers and toes at 11 weeks and can bend its arms and legs at the elbow and knee.

We know a lot more about fetal development than in the past. I say let the state government representatives decide on when to restrict abortions.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:53 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Amendment 4. "Secure in their persons"

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

And Amendment 14, "equal protection under the law", which is the basis of Roe V Wade passing 7-2.

More to the point, I think the right to choose a medical procedure falls within things that are not specifically said in the constitution - and since the constitution doesn't turn over the right to decide any medical procedure to any governing board at all, it's understood that the citizens can choose their own medical procedures without interference from the state.
The Federal government has mandated people undergo medical procedures in the form of vaccinations in order to keep their jobs. That is an example of the government not allowing citizens to choose their own medial procedures without interference from the government. In addition states interfere with vaccine decisions for school children.

Last edited by MissTerri; 05-07-2022 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-07-2022, 08:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A fetus can move at 6 weeks.

A fetus has a heartbeat around 6 and a half weeks.

A fetus has nerves at 7 weeks.

A fetus has limbs at 8 weeks.

A fetus has separate fingers and toes at 11 weeks and can bend its arms and legs at the elbow and knee.

We know a lot more about fetal development than in the past. I say let the state government representatives decide on when to restrict abortions.
Name a SINGLE federal law, that cities, counties or states refuse to enforce?

Old 05-07-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Name a SINGLE federal law, that cities, counties or states refuse to enforce?
Marijuana is illegal at the federal level.

Overturning Roe V Wade would not make abortion illegal, it would leave it up to states to decide.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The Federal government has mandated people undergo medical procedures in the form of vaccinations in order to keep their jobs. That is an example of the government not allowing citizens to choose their own medial procedures without interference front. He government. In addition states interfere with vaccine decisions for school children.
That's a condition of employment, so although it's borderline, IMHO, no one is forced to take a vaccine. I don't believe anyone has the right to a government job.

So that's close to the same thing, but not quite.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
That's a condition of employment, so although it's borderline, IMHO, no one is forced to take a vaccine. I don't believe anyone has the right to a government job.

So that's close to the same thing, but not quite.
Vaccines are required by the Federal Government for healthcare workers. It is an example of the government interfering with medical decisions. You claimed they did not do that.

You don’t believe that anyone has the right to a government (it’s actually not government jobs but rather healthcare jobs) job. Some people don’t believe women have the right to abortion.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:03 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,125 times
Quote:
Well, that's not true.

13 states intend to outlaw abortion outright, with many others intending to severely restrict it.
The correct statement should have been that federal government will not be banning nor condoning abortion. That's way it should be.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:04 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
Abortion is legal in Mexico,it has seen influx of women seeking abortion from TX.
What about UK,I have read there are women who will come to your house to inject you with something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies