Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2022, 10:52 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,606 times

Advertisements

The gun, as a device, can't be banned in the U.S. if the gun is a type of gun that an ordinary infantryman could use.

Page 663:

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi...ty_scholarship

But I have suggested one reasonable ban, if gun bans were legal, and that's a ban of submachine guns. And then I suggested a ban of any semi-automatic gun with a barrel length of less than 16" and a weight of greater than 50 ounces.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:03 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is View Post
I will rot in my grave before I let people surrounded by armed security details dictate that I can't use a firearm to preserve the life of others or myself. If other people want to outsource their safety to police who'll cower outside for 40 minutes while kids get slaughtered, well, I'll never understand that mentality.
The radical left doesn’t want to take your guns. They just want to make it impossible for your kids or grand kids to ever have guns.

And in return for this crazy theft of freedom, the left is willing to compromise on…. Nothing. No border wall, no voter ID laws, no pro life laws, no birthright citizenship closure, no mental health laws, no stop and frisk laws for inner cities.

The left wants to infringe upon your right to protect against US tyranny (see WW2 Japanese interment camps) for free and they are crazy to think that’s how this will work.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
NO. You are dealing with if's. Maybe they would have waited 3 years, or buy it in the black market or just use handguns to kill school kids since most of the killings by weapons in the U.S. is by far by handguns.

You are dealing with if's. That's like prohibiting sports cars for 21 year old or below thinking that will bring down car deaths. It's clueless if you bother to read the stats.
Then you might as well strongly support reducing the minimum age for buying guns to 16 in every state. This is because 16 is the minimum age to get a drivers license, and competently driving a car is a somewhat more complex skill than aiming a gun and firing it.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Let’s not forget it’s Dems that don’t want law enforcement in schools. They insist it’s racism.

Let’s also not forget Dems love to defend and enable criminals by repeatedly putting them back on the streets.

Let’s also not forget that violent crime and mass shootings have skyrocketed since the summer of 2020 riots, and cries of defunding the police and empowering criminals to continue with their violence after causing damages to the tune of $2B+.
LOL, come on erieguy, just what crazy far right website has indoctrinated you into believing the above is true? I have got to see it for myself.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:17 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Correct. A child vacuumed in pieces from a womb is every bit as abhorrent as a child torn apart by gunfire.
The former is 100000x more common than the latter.
Quote:
Estimates vary for how many people get the procedure each year, with 630,000 on the low end to around 886,000 based on other models.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/katieje...h=1c3393e560a8

Biden was VP during Sandy Hook, and now he’s president during Uvalde.

But even he’s not dumb enough to go after a gun ban, 5 decades taught him that it would destroy his career. And even an old fart like Biden wants to run for re-election.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:17 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then you might as well strongly support reducing the minimum age for buying guns to 16 in every state. This is because 16 is the minimum age to get a drivers license, and competently driving a car is a somewhat more complex skill than aiming a gun and firing it.

I don't force what each state should require. That's between the people of the state and their government. My point is the federal weapons ban on the table by Democrats wouldn't have prevented the school shootings and the 1994-2004 weapons band didn't do anything to lower gun deaths. Deaths by riffles went up during the last 6 years of ban than first 6 years after the ban expired.

My opinion should be 21 but that's me but 3 years wouldn't change much in overall gun killings.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Two issues I see with this. At age 17 you can defend this country and its freedom, but you can't exercise said freedom. Raise the age of military enlistment to 21 to match, though, would solve that.

And, the gun is a convenient method. Take it away and they just move to blowing up a school, church or anywhere else that's like fish in a barrel to them. Apparently one can find anything and everything 'how to' on the Internet.

The reality is --- no one and no law can't stop mean people from being mean and authorities can not always defuse a situation. Giving up, giving back, amending a right that was once granted, won't stop it from happening either and it could make it to where we are worse off, than what we were.
Exceptions can be made for those in the military or law enforcement.

We as a civilized country shouldn't have to act so totally helpless and defenseless toward those who are mentally ill and want to shoot dead totally innocent little children and adults.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:22 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, come on erieguy, just what crazy far right website has indoctrinated you into believing the above is true? I have got to see it for myself.
Just a few of many links.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wesleyw...h=15f0f52fcc97

https://time.com/6053309/gun-violenc...emic/?amp=true

And you blaming society, aka bullying, is a perfect example of defending and enabling criminals…and let’s not forget the cries from Dems to defund the police because of poor Floyd. Violent crime and mass shooting has skyrocketed since, but please do tell what Dems have done to stop the crime and putting criminals away?

Last edited by erieguy; 05-28-2022 at 11:33 PM..

Old 05-28-2022, 11:41 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
No discussions of new gun laws should occur before the new House & Senate are seated.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:42 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
On that point, I agree, and I also wish btw any 2 time juve offender (offenses that would be felonies as adults) should have his record be PUBLIC forever.

However, neither party will destroy the 2nd Amendment and pass the tons of rules you want. 2 in 5 US homes have guns. Surveys show 67% say "defending themself" is primary reason. Juvenile violent crime has soared the last few years.

In NYC in the 80s, 2 juries would not convict Bernie Goetz of any charge beyond illegal possession of a firearm. Same reason. Citizens feared thugs, silently applauded Goetz for not becoming a victim.

Americans know they could be the next violent crime victim. Congress wants to be re-elected and neither party would be if they said "Just be sitting ducks, Americans".

Red flag law that might pass. 21 minimum age has a shot. Go too far though, and like Biden heading Sandy Hook Commission, NOTHING changes at all.
Thomas Sowell is quoted as saying “much of the problems in the west over the past few decades is a history of replacing what works with what sounded good”. Guess what? That’s were we are now, and this is a product of exactly that … doing what sounded good, rather than doing what was proven to work.

What do I mean? Well, we have the past, where the most heinous crime occurring in our schools when I was growing up was an occasional playground scuffle, that usually resulted more in a pushing and shoving contest, than actual punches being thrown. Mass shootings? Unheard of. Yet, kids grew up with BB guns, sling shots and other things the nanny crowd considers so harmful today. There’s even national efforts to ban such things as dodge ball, because someone could get hurt. We never realized how dangerous these things really were, and it must have been pure serendipity that we survived the mortal wounds of a rubber ball.

What did we not have, besides teenage mass murderers? Well, 3 out 10 kids were not medicated with some form of psychotropic pharmaceutical whose labels warn of side effects of suicidal thoughts, aggression, and violent thoughts. We also didn’t sit around for hours on end, playing realistic video games like Call of Duty, Postal, Mortal Kombat, Doom, etc. These games are third person killing games which reward players for the amount of murder and mayhem they can inflict, and the gore and grotesque violence is literally off the charts, with Postal being banned around the world, but did not stop the makers from making two follow up versions. Many psychologists consider these games extremely harmful, and desensitizing, which normalizes extremely abnormal levels of pure uncontrolled, gratuitous violence. Mix that with the psychotropic drugs … what could possibly go wrong? Right?

Then, we have the nonstop, endless clamoring of sensitivity training that itself is enough to drive someone crazy, by either being labeled a perpetrator of misdeeds toward others, or perpetual victims of social, racial, gender, or sexual orientation discrimination. Mass vaccination, mask mania, threats and rumors of wars, of social upheaval, of financial catastrophes. When does this bombardment of love, compassion and good news end? It never ends. It’s 24/7 … it’s almost enough to drive anyone off the edge …. so, what chance does a drugged up mentally troubled teenager have in coping with such an onslaught of every source of depression that can be imagined?

Violent movies, violent video games, thug rap music, devil worshiping hardcore metal blaring in the background, as one weaves his way through the latest mass shooter electronic training games …. and let’s not leave out street drugs, and all of the twisted new ideas about gender fluidity, and the mental madness involved in refusing to simply require biological boys use the boys restrooms, and girls to use the girls bathroom. And let’s allow Joe, who wants to be called Jolene to rough up the biological girls on the soccer field just for good measure. That’s a nice touch, isn’t it?

To be totally blunt … banning firearms is about the only bad idea the left hasn’t managed to impose on everyone else, which is really just the absurd idea that all of their other bad ideas can be solved with one more bad idea.

You get the idea yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies