Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2022, 10:05 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,295,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But it's true that raising the minimum age to 21 to guy a gun would save the lives of a number of school kids. If you strongly disagree with me, then, no doubt, you value protecting the 2nd Amendment more than the lives of school kids.

The mental illness problem can be in part prevented in schools by putting a stop to bullying of kids who are different. But when the school expels the person for hitting back against a bully that isn't how it's done.

NO. You are dealing with if's. Maybe they would have waited 3 years, or buy it in the black market or just use handguns to kill school kids since most of the killings by weapons in the U.S. is by far by handguns.

You are dealing with if's. That's like prohibiting sports cars for 21 year old or below thinking that will bring down car deaths. It's clueless if you bother to read the stats.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
While that killing in Texas is really sad, no one seems to really care about the 223 lost souls killed so far in Chicago, thousands of others in our big urban areas. No one wants to address that problem which actually dwarfs the tragedy in Texas.
So are the majority shot and killed in Chicago and other urban areas just blacks or gang members? If so, that answers your point.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Give it a couple weeks and this incident will be forgotten for the most part.

We have grown accustom to these kinds of shootings, I guarantee many more will happen in the years to come. the grieving process is always most raw after such a thing happens, time starts to heal all wounds shortly after.

Remember the days after the Columbine shooting, 9-11, etc, etc? This latest shooting will be no different.
I'm not sure. The horribly massive Las Vegas and Orlando mass shootings still haunt my mind to this day that they could actually happen. The fact that the nation is quite utterly helpless to prevent any more of them, due to the 2nd Amendment and its stubborn supporters are just as haunting to me. The fact that we are helpless in this way surely makes us look weak to our enemies in Russia, China, Iran, N. Korea and other countries. Of course, 2nd Amendment supporters say we much not never abridge the 2nd Amendment to make sure we can fight against attacks by our enemies as well by our own government. Essentially, 2nd Amendment supporters demand us to accept mass shootings as being a part of our gun happy culture. The alternative would be too highly undesirable to live with.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
I'm not sure. The horribly massive Las Vegas and Orlando mass shootings still haunt my mind to this day that they could actually happen. The fact that the nation is quite utterly helpless to prevent any more of them, due to the 2nd Amendment and its stubborn supporters are just as haunting to me. The fact that we are helpless in this way surely makes us look weak to our enemies in Russia, China, Iran, N. Korea and other countries. Of course, 2nd Amendment supporters say we much not never abridge the 2nd Amendment to make sure we can fight against attacks by our enemies as well by our own government. Essentially, 2nd Amendment supporters demand us to accept mass shootings as being a part of our gun happy culture. The alternative would be too highly undesirable to live with.
Guns don’t kill anyone on their own. Quit defending and enabling the violent criminals that use them and put them away for life so they can’t do it again. I own many guns, they always behave, never go out on their own and have never shot anyone.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
We just sent $40 Billion to Ukraine. We can spend money on our own.
Dream on. Nearly all those incumbents in Congress who sent $40 billion to Ukraine will be voted back into office in November. Most voters don't have a conscious when it comes to voting.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
False. He bought them both legally, and currently Texas has a background check requirement when purchasing new.

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-m...ground-checks/
It overwhelmingly proves how important it is to ban sales of guns to people under age 21. Many people under age 21 are too young to have a bad background record.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
But it's true that raising the minimum age to 21 to guy a gun would save the lives of a number of school kids. If you strongly disagree with me, then, no doubt, you value protecting the 2nd Amendment more than the lives of school kids.

The mental illness problem can be in part prevented in schools by putting a stop to bullying of kids who are different. But when the school expels the person for hitting back against a bully that isn't how it's done.
Quote:
But it's true that raising the minimum age to 21 to guy a gun would save the lives of a number of school kids.
Two issues I see with this. At age 17 you can defend this country and its freedom, but you can't exercise said freedom. Raise the age of military enlistment to 21 to match, though, would solve that.

And, the gun is a convenient method. Take it away and they just move to blowing up a school, church or anywhere else that's like fish in a barrel to them. Apparently one can find anything and everything 'how to' on the Internet.

The reality is --- no one and no law can't stop mean people from being mean and authorities can not always defuse a situation. Giving up, giving back, amending a right that was once granted, won't stop it from happening either and it could make it to where we are worse off, than what we were.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:32 PM

63 posts, read 24,884 times
I will rot in my grave before I let people surrounded by armed security details dictate that I can't use a firearm to preserve the life of others or myself. If other people want to outsource their safety to police who'll cower outside for 40 minutes while kids get slaughtered, well, I'll never understand that mentality.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:35 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
It overwhelmingly proves how important it is to ban sales of guns to people under age 21. Many people under age 21 are too young to have a bad background record.
On that point, I agree, and I also wish btw any 2 time juve offender (offenses that would be felonies as adults) should have his record be PUBLIC forever.

However, neither party will destroy the 2nd Amendment and pass the tons of rules you want. 2 in 5 US homes have guns. Surveys show 67% say "defending themself" is primary reason. Juvenile violent crime has soared the last few years.

In NYC in the 80s, 2 juries would not convict Bernie Goetz of any charge beyond illegal possession of a firearm. Same reason. Citizens feared thugs, silently applauded Goetz for not becoming a victim.

Americans know they could be the next violent crime victim. Congress wants to be re-elected and neither party would be if they said "Just be sitting ducks, Americans".

Red flag law that might pass. 21 minimum age has a shot. Go too far though, and like Biden heading Sandy Hook Commission, NOTHING changes at all.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
No, you present what is an uneducated and illogical assumption on your part, as some form of fact, when it clearly isn’t! There is absolutely no basis for assuming that a mentally deranged person who waited until he was 18, and then immediately purchased firearms would somehow abandon his twisted goals, rather than finding someone else to purchase the weapon for him, or find another source on the black market, or be patient enough to wait three more years until he was 21 before carrying out his dastardly plans? Why would you believe in such magical thinking that the problem has such a simple solution? Why would anyone capable of rational thinking entertain for a single second the absurd idea that someone intending to commit such a heinous crime would simply give up that idea and forget about it because he couldn’t by a gun at Cabela’s? You seem oblivious to just how ludicrous that really is.

Furthermore, Doctor, perhaps you should extend your mental health expertise regarding this magic cure for mental illness to the psychiatric community? I’m sure they’d be excited to learn how this cause of mental illness has escaped them for so many years?

Geeze Louise …. who bullied you?
Bingo…defend and make excuses for the criminals, and blame society and guns instead. Priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies