Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 12:42 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I wish people such as you and those that think like you would be such as vigorous about complaining with the daily deaths that happen in many cities in the United States. But you and those that think like you don't care, children have been shot and killed in drive by shootings, but you don't care, it was only 2, on that day. You don't care about the mother who was killed by a stray bullet sitting in front of the hotel. You don't care about any of those shootings that happen daily.

You are one of those only come out when something like this happens, and just don't care about all those other being killed, even little children.
Honey , I want all guns banned in this country but we know that
wont happen!

I care way too much but it appears Americans care more about their guns than their children.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:45 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
I Know what the facts are, and the fact of the matter is, far more people are killed by pistols and not long guns. Most of the killings are not done by mass shootings, they are done a few here and there. The politicians are following what the 2A says. What the politicians, such as you, don't want to face the fact that the bigger inner cities is where the problems are with guns, not mass shootings.

How are those fact looking back at you?
You're essentially restating what I said. Lots and lots of guns. Less safe.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:47 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Quote:
I Know what the facts are, and the fact of the matter is, far more people are killed by pistols and not long guns. Most of the killings are not done by mass shootings, they are done a few here and there. The politicians are following what the 2A says. What the politicians, such as you, don't want to face the fact that the bigger inner cities is where the problems are with guns, not mass shootings.

How are those fact looking back at you?
Not sure really what your point is?
There are many mass killings in this country every year and there are
many senseless killings every day in this country.
Are you saying we should ignore the mass killings and focus on inner city
killings?
One is less than the other? More?

My point is that the problem could be solved when Americans value children over the right to carry a gun .

Old 05-27-2022, 12:52 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
So you are against anything at all that makes it more difficult for the bad guys to get the guns? We have to just throw up our hands at that idea and concentrate on dealing with the aftermath by transforming all our schools into armed positions? And how do we handle other public areas that are easy targets?

And please spare me from the trite talking point that "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" as it appears that is not working out very well.
If you can come up with a way that keeps bad guys from getting guns without infringing on the other 99%, I'm all ears. Unfortunately, I've seen the results of "we have to do something" multiple times in my life, and every single time that something has been yet another infringement on rights that aren't supposed to be infringed upon. I'm no longer willing to compromise on gun laws because every compromise is a slippery slope to the next big thing where "we have to do something" - even though the last "something" was supposed to solve the problem.

Since you don't think that good guys with a gun stop bad guys with a gun, please show me a school shooting such as Uvalde, Parkland, or Sandy Hook where the gunman voluntarily stopped shooting people without being confronted by an armed response. I won't hold my breath on this one.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:56 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you can come up with a way that keeps bad guys from getting guns without infringing on the other 99%, I'm all ears. Unfortunately, I've seen the results of "we have to do something" multiple times in my life, and every single time that something has been yet another infringement on rights that aren't supposed to be infringed upon. I'm no longer willing to compromise on gun laws because every compromise is a slippery slope to the next big thing where "we have to do something" - even though the last "something" was supposed to solve the problem.

Since you don't think that good guys with a gun stop bad guys with a gun, please show me a school shooting such as Uvalde, Parkland, or Sandy Hook where the gunman voluntarily stopped shooting people without being confronted by an armed response. I won't hold my breath on this one.
Were any of these shooters stopped by a "good guy with a gun" or were they stopped by law enforcement? I ask this only because the term "good guy with a gun" generally doesn't refer to law enforcement who are doing their job, but to the average law-abiding, gun owner.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Reducing mass shootings won't be done by gun laws.
Yet somehow, carzies are finding it harder to arm themselves in countries with sane gun laws.

Quote:
Very simply, bad guys are going to get guns.
Very simply, mass shootings happens when two groups overlap:
  1. The group of people who are messed up enough that they wish to commit mass murder.
  2. The group of people who have easy access to firearms suitable for mass murder.

Group number 1 will exist in any society, although of course a decent system for mental healthcare can do a lot to keep the number of people in it low. But there's no political will to do anything about that in the US.

Group number 2 is uniquely large in the US - in fact, kept as high as at all possible, mostly because arms dealers pay politicians really well.

The outcome is obvious.

Quote:
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
How's that working in the US right now? Making guns easy to get has so far made for more bad guys with guns. It has also made domestic disputes, road rage and drug turf wars deadlier.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:00 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Hmm what happened in 2004 that led the an explosion of shooting deaths?
https://twitter.com/mikejason73/stat...92509920890884
Nothing was banned by the assault weapons ban.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If you can come up with a way that keeps bad guys from getting guns without infringing on the other 99%, I'm all ears.
No more than anyone can come up with a way to stop people from driving unsafely without infringing on those 99% who don't. Yet, there we are - licensing and insurance requirements and safety requirements and sobriety checkpoints and age limits and whatnot.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:01 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Not sure really what your point is?
There are many mass killings in this country every year and there are
many senseless killings every day in this country.
Are you saying we should ignore the mass killings and focus on inner city
killings?
One is less than the other? More?

My point is that the problem could be solved when Americans value children over the right to carry a gun .
Most "mass killings" are in the inner city.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:02 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Hmm what happened in 2004 that led the an explosion of shooting deaths?
https://twitter.com/mikejason73/stat...92509920890884

interesting assault weapon ban ended...and mental illness skyrocketed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies