Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2022, 05:08 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
For those who don't want to read the entire article. Here is the key points.
The expression is to make it home every night....not 'home for dinner.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 01:40 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I really like watching Jim Cavanaugh speak as his analysis always seems to be spot on.

He is absolutely correct in that this is ultimately about a lack of courage.

As he points out the video shows the initial surge by three officers to try and take out the shooter, and this is a tactic taught to officers during school shooting training. Once they were fired upon, they quickly retreated and one of them is clearly telling the other officers about what happened. At that point the other officers there should have taken the initiative to stack and attempt to storm the classroom, because momentum is critical.

They didn't. But the excuse that these cops didn't have enough training is pretty much refuted right there, since their initial maneuvers appear to be specifically taught to officers in these scenarios. Also can't blame lack of communication either. People can spin this all they want, but it is ultimately about cowardice.

On a side note, some people are gleefully mocking the NRA for their statement about good guys with guns stopping bad guys with guns as if the Uvalde failure refutes this notion. Actually, it doesn't. The NRA is absolutely correct.

Good people with guns DO stop bad people with guns frequently. Those officers who stood outside the hallway and did nothing for 77 minutes, while kids were being shot and bleeding to death, were not good guys. They were cowards, and at the very least if they have any ounce of decency left, they will turn in their badges and NEVER be allowed to work in law enforcement again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hezWQfn9jag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZbh-C0FdbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKjntepp4I

Old 07-20-2022, 06:31 AM

The Texas Tribune summary of the Commission's report on this incident confirms everything Hubs and I have discussed about this incident.

One of the last paragraphs is particularly heartbreaking:

"Yet the report concludes with a somber finding: Because the gunman fired the majority of his rounds before police arrived inside the school, about 100 in the space of three minutes, whether the death toll would have been lower had police breached the classrooms immediately is unknown."

Old 07-20-2022, 06:53 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
376 officers. There were 600 students at Robb and on that day some number were allowed to go home after end of year awards. So there was nearly one officer for each child still in the school.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:54 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The Texas Tribune summary of the Commission's report on this incident confirms everything Hubs and I have discussed about this incident.

"Yet the report concludes with a somber finding: Because the gunman fired the majority of his rounds before police arrived inside the school, about 100 in the space of three minutes, whether the death toll would have been lower had police breached the classrooms immediately is unknown."
We at least know that one teacher survived over 77 minutes only to die at hospital. I'm guessing maybe a handful were treatable but died due to blood loss. Probably the majority were dead within seconds.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
We at least know that one teacher survived over 77 minutes only to die at hospital. I'm guessing maybe a handful were treatable but died due to blood loss. Probably the majority were dead within seconds.
That is what the report indicates. It also stated that had help arrived sooner, some that lingered may have made it had they gotten to the hospital but no one knows and no one will ever know. There are no words to describe the depth of this tragedy.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:32 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post

I think we do know though, because kids who were shot were still alive and may have been saved earlier. The little girl who called 911 twice who later died, and one girl had a pulse when they loaded her onto ambulance but died on the way. These kids were left to bleed out for 77 minutes. One of the teachers was still alive after being shot too but later died.

If I were a parent of either of those kids I cannot even imagine the rage I would feel.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:54 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Sickening that it would even have to come to this, proof of what a remorseless monster he is. Remember, this is the same guy that was caught in repeated lies about what happened, and saw fit to swear in to the city council the week after the shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmCg4rdsi8

Old 07-20-2022, 10:29 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
I guess they have to jump through hoops to get things done but that guy should have been gone after the release of the first videos. When they fire him, I hope they make him take out every dime of retirement he paid in, with no future contributions by the city, take away healthcare benefits and leave him with nothing, just he did for all those parents whose children died that horrific day.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:20 PM

59 posts, read 27,164 times
https://youtu.be/u_f6lvwVyfE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies