Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 08:12 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times

Advertisements

Anyone else live in an exurb or suburb in the south? If so, Where are you from? Are you also going through just an insane amount of growth since Covid? It was bad before Covid but now it’s just insane. The infrastructure in my area is not meant for this amount of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 05:28 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
Yes. I'm in South Carolina outside Charleston and the growth is impossible. When I moved here from NH in Dec. 2015, town's population was around 28000 and is now up close to 60000. Traffic was already a nightmare when I got here and it's even worse now.

Housing prices have doubled during that time as well but people from NY, NJ, Mass, etc still think it's a bargain.

And one year ago, SC was ranked in a nationwide survey as having the most distracted drivers in the country.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:30 AM

5,110 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
Yes. I'm in South Carolina outside Charleston and the growth is impossible. When I moved here from NH in Dec. 2015, town's population was around 28000 and is now up close to 60000. Traffic was already a nightmare when I got here and it's even worse now.
I wonder how Charleston will handle an hurricane evacuation with an increased population?

Old 05-29-2022, 08:21 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
I wonder how Charleston will handle an hurricane evacuation with an increased population?

Charleston set up a more efficient evacuation plan several years ago after people were trapped on highways in the middle of the storm because of car breakdowns or running out of gas. Several people died during that storm.

What they do now is reverse the lanes on the highway heading towards Charleston so they have 8 lanes of traffic heading west instead of 4 lanes. It seems to work much better. All exits except 2 are closed between Charleston and Columbia. The rest of the exits and on ramps heading east are blocked by police cruisers starting early morning way before the hurricane is scheduled to hit.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:32 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Im in Franklin Tn, and we've been getting overrun w/California dreamers who are paying cash for homes, sometimes buying them sight unseen. Since moving here 15 years ago, I’ve seen overall quality of life decline while housing and traffic have shot up considerably. I suspect the mass migration is going to slow, but the damage is done.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:13 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post

Housing prices have doubled during that time as well but people from NY, NJ, Mass, etc still think it's a bargain.

And one year ago, SC was ranked in a nationwide survey as having the most distracted drivers in the country.
SC has horrible drivers, I believe only Louisiana has worse.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:33 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Not quite in the Sunbelt but the Louisville KY / IN area was among the only metro areas to never have employment declines throughout the pandemic. Due to the UPS global hub here and being at the geographic center of the eastern USA warehousing / logistics is huge here. One new industrial park is literally 7 miles X 4 miles long, it's going to employ towards 50,000 people soon. Beyond that KY side has had an insane violent crime surge so the IN side I'm at is seeing a mass influx of people. Housing prices have went through the roof. In 2015 we bought a starter home for $55k. Today we get one mail in offer a week from real estate companies offering $150k in cash. But to replace this house would cost as much as we'd make.

Old 05-29-2022, 03:40 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Im in Franklin Tn, and we've been getting overrun w/California dreamers who are paying cash for homes, sometimes buying them sight unseen. Since moving here 15 years ago, I’ve seen overall quality of life decline while housing and traffic have shot up considerably. I suspect the mass migration is going to slow, but the damage is done.
Blount county here.

If it's any consolation, according to the various "Moving to TN" Facebook groups the great majority are escapees from CA, IL, NJ, NY, WA........... They make it clear up front, LOL.

Old 05-29-2022, 04:22 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
It's crazy watching older 60's style ranch houses being torn down to make way for multiple ugly mini-mansions on the same lot. They're all so close together too, if one of them catches on fire they all will

What angers me is that the roads can't keep up with all this, and they're already bad enough as it is but lets add about 30 more cars for every ranch style house torn down. Oh the solution isn't to widen the roads but drop the speed limit? Oh yeah like anyone follows those anyway.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:09 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
I’m in East Tennessee (Knoxville area) Yes the growth the last two years has been unbelievable, a lot from the northeast and California. Many of them did it based on politics and covid lockdowns. The price of a house has doubled in a few years, traffic is terrible. Everyone now wants to be in the Red State south. The problem is that we do not have enough space for all the northern and western political refugees pouring in. People are moving by the tens of thousands over politics, I think that should tell us something about how much trouble our country is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies