Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 07:51 PM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's the deal. Maybe the masks did trap the virus inside the mask, making the wearer more vulnerable.

I don't know.

But anti-maskers can't have it both ways. They can't say the masks don't protect the public from the virus because the mask doesn't trap the virus in the mask and then turn around and say the mask harms the wearer because it traps the virus in the mask.

Pick one.

You don't have to pick one right now, with so little information, but only one can be true:

1. The mask doesn't trap the virus, as anti-maskers have been claiming all along

OR

2. The mask does the virus, making the wearer sicker if he is already infected

OP, with this post you appear to be making the case that the mask doesn't trap the virus. Just sayin'.
No. The idea is that some of it sticks on the mask.

Imagine that someone is throwing a bucket of water at you. You wear a basketball net over your face. After they throw the bucket, you keep the net on your face. The net didn't really protect you and it keeps you wet. That is the theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 07:53 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
In general, studies have shown mask wearing correlated with increased social distancing. Wearing masks reinforced to many there was a pandemic.

I can see however some people who'd normally stay indoors, venture out with their magic COVID shield.
That wasn't my personal experience, but I didn't do a study. And I haven't seen any studies supporting your comment (not saying there weren't).

Old 06-06-2022, 07:55 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
Masks never gave any protection detectable in a RCT.
Right. They have had many scientific studies over the years before the pandemic. Cloth masks did nothing. The health officials knew this.

Now I'm not talking about N-95 (surgical masks), but that is not what was mandated.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:55 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
Here's the deal. Maybe the masks did trap the virus inside the mask, making the wearer more vulnerable.

I don't know.

But anti-maskers can't have it both ways. They can't say the masks don't protect the public from the virus because the mask doesn't trap the virus in the mask and then turn around and say the mask harms the wearer because it traps the virus in the mask.

Pick one.

You don't have to pick one right now, with so little information, but only one can be true:

1. The mask doesn't trap the virus, as anti-maskers have been claiming all along

OR

2. The mask does the virus, making the wearer sicker if he is already infected

OP, with this post you appear to be making the case that the mask doesn't trap the virus. Just sayin'.
Even if it only traps a few virons, that's still a few more than are expelled by normal breathing, you know, a critical part of your immune system, that you suck right back in thus giving yourself an artifically higher viral load.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:00 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,364 times
When are anti maskers going to stop talking about masks.. jesus, this is just as bad as my friends who like Trump talking about him everyday.

It's O-V-E-R.. trump is over, masks are over. Wear one if you want, of don't if you don't want. Stop letting it control your life.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:07 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
When are anti maskers going to stop talking about masks.. jesus, this is just as bad as my friends who like Trump talking about him everyday.

It's O-V-E-R.. trump is over, masks are over. Wear one if you want, of don't if you don't want. Stop letting it control your life.
Masks aren’t over. The lunatic liberals you support are contemplating another statewide indoor mask mandate in California. I wish the mask idiocy was over but it isn’t.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:08 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
*SNIP*

It's O-V-E-R.. *snip* masks are over. *SNIP*
Not in Alameda county, not according to officials who have gone on record as saying they want to reinstate. The second we stop the fight, we lose.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:20 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:

I don't know.

Pick one.

No, you're wrong. It can, and is, both. Blow smoke through a mask and you can see smoke penetrate through. The mask won't stop all the smoke but there will be some smoke residue that builds up on the mask. Some of the particles make it through and some don't. It's not all or none.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:22 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No, you're wrong. It can, and is, both. Blow smoke through a mask and you can see smoke penetrate through. The mask won't stop all the smoke but there will be some smoke residue that builds up on the mask. Some of the particles make it through and some don't. It's not all or none.
Funny. This is why the Dr's said wearing a mask PREVENTS YOU from spreading covid. When did everyone of the anti-maskers decide to forget that fact?

Old 06-06-2022, 08:24 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Funny. This is why the Dr's said wearing a mask PREVENTS YOU from spreading covid. When did everyone of the anti-maskers decide to forget that fact?

What was forgotten? If some of the virus makes it through then you are not preventing spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies