Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 03:32 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times

Advertisements

This is not a deflection, but a case in which a youth pulled a man OFF the tracks after two combatants fell off the platform on Chicago's Red Line on Sunday. The youth is being hailed as a hero.

Quote:
Anthony Perry, 20, was on the platform during the incident and helped one of the two, who appeared lifeless on a live track rail. In a video shared widely on social media, Perry can be seen jumping down onto the tracks and pulling the individual off the live rail, despite appearing to be shocked himself.
https://abc7chicago.com/cta-red-line..._cid=TA_WLS_FB

The youth said that he hoped someone would do the same sort of thing for him. Maybe platform doors could have kept the two fighters from falling into harm's way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 03:56 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
This is not a deflection, but a case in which a youth pulled a man OFF the tracks after two combatants fell off the platform on Chicago's Red Line on Sunday. The youth is being hailed as a hero.

https://abc7chicago.com/cta-red-line..._cid=TA_WLS_FB

The youth said that he hoped someone would do the same sort of thing for him. Maybe platform doors could have kept the two fighters from falling into harm's way.

Yes! We need to lift up examples of people who jump to action and in this case almost certainly saved a life. Well done and hopefully he inspires other youth to be the good in their community.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:09 PM

6,667 posts, read 2,972,733 times
It's gonna keep happening until people stop standing on the edge like that, jeez,..haven't we learned by now?

When I am down there I am either in the middle or hanging back by the steps until the subway stops.

You're just inviting it, ruining your odds,..lol.

Heck,...just the other day a madman Drove up on the sidewalk along 42cd st,...the more touristy area. Miraculously only one person got injured.

Big City liv'in!

Old 06-08-2022, 06:01 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That terrible. It is high time that our Government issues common sense subway platform safety regulations.
Beat me to it. In fact, I think we should shut down all public transit because of this. It’s really the only solution. I’m tired of government officials sitting around and not doing anything. We need to do something!

Old 06-08-2022, 08:11 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Suicide by jumping in front of a moving train has long plagued all subway systems, especially in Seoul, SK.
Maybe it used to be that way in Seoul, but I don't think it is anymore. Reason? They found the money and installed platform screens. Most, if not all, of their stations have them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
Yes, this case is tragic and NYC needs to do something but with 3.5 millions riders what exactly would you propose? Hire hundreds of thousands more police officers? Laughable in the society we see today and even this is no guarantee to be a fix.
I would propose installing platform screens. Problem solved.

Now, I'm very well aware that it's not that easy. The layout of many New York subway stations is such that installing the screens would be difficult. But even worse is that they use a variety of different types of subway cars, whose doors are not uniformly spaced. Ultimately, I think the solution in New York is going to come down to standardizing their subway cars across the entire fleet. Or, if you really want to throw money around, redesign the stations so that the support pillars aren't next to the platform edge (thus potentially blocking the doors of the trains) but instead either in the middle of the platform (for center platforms) or between the tracks (for side platforms).

This would be neither easy nor cheap, which is why it's unlikely to ever get done. But maybe someone can ask someone in Seoul how they managed to find a way.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:12 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
time him to a post tomorrow at noon.. castrate... let bleed out.

justice is done

Old 06-08-2022, 08:14 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
It's gonna keep happening until people stop standing on the edge like that, jeez,..haven't we learned by now?
I used to do that, when I lived in Philadelphia and rode the subway there. Why did I do it? Because I was impatient and wanted to see when the train would come. As if leaning out over the edge and looking down the tunnel was going to make it show up any faster.

But then I started hearing about people getting pushed off the platforms. I don't recall it happening in Philadelphia (maybe it did, but I don't recall hearing about it) but it certainly happened in New York. And that's when I decided that I'd be better off standing away from the edge of the platform and waiting until the train stopped before walking up to the doors. More people need to get into that habit, pronto.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:15 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
We need Subway Control. People don't kill, subways do.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:16 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
As a fellow democrat I love that the victim was disarmed

Old 06-08-2022, 10:55 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Now what exactly makes him a thug instead of a confused, misguided mentally ill individual?
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies