Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 09:07 AM

14,296 posts, read 4,655,474 times

Advertisements

Bill Clinton was a liberal.

But for the modern day Billy would be a far right, especially with his views on illegal immigration

Watch his state of the Union on illegal immigration in 1995
https://youtu.be/1IrDrBs13oA

Old 06-17-2022, 09:13 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,015,821 times
Furthermore, the left/right dichotomy has always proven a bit false with me. The left can veer "left" with these hyper-specific social issues like uncontrolled borders or puberty blockers, yet remain remarkably soft on holding big business environmentally and financially accountable for XYZ or whatever. Are unions a far-left idea? Even when a trade union is made up of mostly conservatives? Which side is free from corruption? The dichotomy has some usefulness, but it's not the great descriptor everyone thinks it is.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:16 AM

17,548 posts, read 9,351,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
For my entire adult life I've been considered just left of center. Going off online political tests.

Now, I really haven't changed, yet I'm considered a deplorable, white nationalist, far right winger.

Yes, I think the line has definitely shifted further left...much further.
Same for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I was once considered liberal. My views have not changed. Now I'm considered conservative.

The Democrat party refuses to admit have far off the mark they have moved. The party has been hijacked by extremists.
Agree - in today’s hyper polarized environment, the Ptoblem with being a Liberal is that Liberals are an Endangered Species. Radical Leftists have stolen their Party.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:18 AM

39,948 posts, read 26,662,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I was once considered liberal. My views have not changed. Now I'm considered conservative.

The Democrat party refuses to admit have far off the mark they have moved. The party has been hijacked by extremists.
Exactly! Elon Musk has said what a lot of moderate Democrats, those abandoned by the party, are thinking.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:29 AM

27,789 posts, read 28,902,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I agree with this to a point. As a society we keep evolving, which IMO is a good thing.

Some folks evolve. Others choose not to.
Yeah, you better embrace illegal aliens, criminals and sexually deviant people.

Otherwise, you won’t be considered sufficiently evolved according to liberals.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:45 AM

17,921 posts, read 13,867,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Truth is both sides have elements that keep pushing further to the extreme. Somehow the far-out lefties and far out righties have amassed power in each party when my opinion is most of us are closer to the center. Only the wingnuts in each party get most of the attention.
I won't disagree with the OP's point but sadly he (nor do other C-D conservatives) realize that the same thing happens on their own end of the spectrum.

Basically the de facto conservative position is this. If you aren't as far to the right as that particular individual conservative is... you are a liberal commie leftist.

Just like if you aren't as liberal as some soy boy or LGBTQXTY...you are a racist or white supremacist or whatever.

Equally annoying.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:45 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,326,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I agree with this to a point. As a society we keep evolving, which IMO is a good thing. Some folks evolve. Others choose not to.
Points well taken Cliffy, give my best to Norm. I think the evolved views on Free Speech, Gay Rights and Civil Rights were all good things, it is the going beyond that that scares me. Free Speech where some speech isn't allowed (college campuses), Gay Rights where a gay male isn't gay enough to be the Grand Marshal in a gay pride parade, it has to be a transgender male (see the very funny Bill Maher video) and Civil Rights where we have separate dorms and graduations on college campuses for Black students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Truth is both sides have elements that keep pushing further to the extreme. Somehow the far-out lefties and far out righties have amassed power in each party when my opinion is most of us are closer to the center. Only the wingnuts in each party get most of the attention.
I think the political spectrum isn't a straight line with extreme right on one end and extreme left on the other, but a circle where the two extremes are closer to each other than they are to the Middle.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:19 AM

14,296 posts, read 4,655,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I won't disagree with the OP's point but sadly he (nor do other C-D conservatives) realize that the same thing happens on their own end of the spectrum.

Basically the de facto conservative position is this. If you aren't as far to the right as that particular individual conservative is... you are a liberal commie leftist.

Just like if you aren't as liberal as some soy boy or LGBTQXTY...you are a racist or white supremacist or whatever.

Equally annoying.
I agree with every thing you said, except for one big difference

The far left has control over social medias and higher learning institutions.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:29 AM

29,821 posts, read 14,876,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I agree with every thing you said, except for one big difference

The far left has control over social medias and higher learning institutions.
And that is why this shift is so dangerous for our country. I'd say the same thing if things had shifted far right, along with them controlling the median and learning institutions.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:56 AM

29,960 posts, read 25,089,513 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DlTexEXxLQ

Yes, eventually what's "it" seems weird and scary... That's what happens when you grow up...

But in this case, far left liberals just became weird and scary for the hell of it, to see if anyone would actually follow them into the abyss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies