Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 07:15 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,312,138 times

Advertisements

The problem with being a liberal, meaning a left leaning person in America, is you wake up one day and you are no longer a liberal. The line keeps shifting further Left and pretty soon you find yourself either in the middle, or possibly even a bit of a rightie.

Think about it. Does anyone doubt JFK was a liberal? Yet he was fiercely pro-military, unabashedly Christian, lowered taxes, especially on those in the highest brackets and was a lifetime NRA member who clearly understood the II Amendment intended an armed citizenry as a hedge against government tyranny.

Modern free speech and the Free Speech Movement come out of Berkeley in the 1960s, but now there are speakers banned from Berkeley and other liberal enclaves, or worse, violent confrontation when someone the Left disagree with wants to speak.

Liberals got passed many of the gun laws intended to reduce violence; laws like "use a gun, go to jail', and stiff sentences for having an illegal gun, but now those laws are not being enforced by the New Left who thinks those laws are oppressive. Case in example, two El Monte police officers are dead, there are two widows and 5 or 6 young kids who've lost a father because the New Left Los Angeles DA, Gascon, didn't enforce the gun law on a felon who had a gun. The man who killed the police officers had TWICE been convicted of "felon in possession of a gun" (2020 & 2021) and should have been in prison for either one of those charges, but instead got probation from Gascon.

You are a liberal who fought hard for abortion rights, but now if you say you think abortion is bad outside the first trimester, you are told you are anti-woman.

You are a liberal who fought hard for women's rights and even helped start soccer teams and wrestling teams and other sports programs for girls and women, but now you are told you are an anti-gay hater bigot if you think men shouldn't compete in women's sports.

You are a liberal who fought hard for the rights of Black Americans, to end segregation and marched with Martin Luther King. You yearned for the days of full equality and when skin color wouldn't matter, but now you are called a white supremacist because you think All Lives Matter.

I am sure there are many more examples of how the New Left has left its founding members behind and those founding members find they aren't considered liberals any more.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:05 AM

10,550 posts, read 7,084,621 times
Liberalism has replaced religion for many of these people, where there own group thought process and current event stance has become their own moral righteousness. Morality and ideology is fluid in time, the goal posts can be moved in a moments notice to meet the objectives to overtake control. It's really a weapon of the globalists, and there are to many young people being indoctrinated into the poison.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:09 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,775,070 times
I was once considered liberal. My views have not changed. Now I'm considered conservative.

The Democrat party refuses to admit have far off the mark they have moved. The party has been hijacked by extremists.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:27 AM

21,196 posts, read 19,815,199 times
I know some older people who I believe are still liberal solely because they were liberal many years ago when liberalism was actually reasonable/sane. I don't think if they were growing up today they would accept the insanity pushed by today's liberals. But they seem to feel "locked in" to the nostalgia of JFK and MLK,Jr.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:39 AM

29,611 posts, read 14,748,201 times
For my entire adult life I've been considered just left of center. Going off online political tests.

Now, I really haven't changed, yet I'm considered a deplorable, white nationalist, far right winger.

Yes, I think the line has definitely shifted further left...much further.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:43 AM

2,733 posts, read 6,127,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The problem with being a liberal, meaning a left leaning person in America, is you wake up one day and you are no longer a liberal. The line keeps shifting further Left and pretty soon you find yourself either in the middle, or possibly even a bit of a rightie.

I agree with this to a point. As a society we keep evolving, which IMO is a good thing.

Some folks evolve. Others choose not to.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:46 AM

15,722 posts, read 9,554,810 times
Truth is both sides have elements that keep pushing further to the extreme. Somehow the far-out lefties and far out righties have amassed power in each party when my opinion is most of us are closer to the center. Only the wingnuts in each party get most of the attention.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 749,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I know some older people who I believe are still liberal solely because they were liberal many years ago when liberalism was actually reasonable/sane. I don't think if they were growing up today they would accept the insanity pushed by today's liberals. But they seem to feel "locked in" to the nostalgia of JFK and MLK,Jr.
Indeed and that's why we ended up with a career political crony like Joe Biden in the White House. 48% of voters over 65 voted for Biden in 2020. That's about about 25 million people. They likely voted for Biden because they've always voted for Democrats. Most are likely long time liberals or union members loyal to the Democratic Party of Harry Truman, JFK, RFK and Tip O'Neil. That ship sailed long ago and the Democratic Party is now the junta of Marx, Ingels, Lenin and Stalin represented by progressives like Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Sandy Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Talib, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, Steve Cohen, Pramila Jayapal and the rest of the Trotskyites masquerading as Democrats in the Democratic Progressive Caucus. I considered myself a JFK Democrat for years but left the party when it stopped looking out for the best interest of me and my nation. People need to educate themselves before they vote and not merely vote on party lines.

Last edited by irishcopper; 06-17-2022 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-17-2022, 08:53 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,570,995 times
A perfect example is Bill Maher. He was considered a liberal only a few years ago. He has held firm in his beliefs, but the left has gone so far off the deep end that he is now calling them out.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:54 AM

25,963 posts, read 18,956,125 times
I could expound on the problem with being a liberal, but I don't want an infraction.

Suffice it to say that what was once considered a "liberal" (as in classical liberalism) is now considered way over on the conservative end of the spectrum or at the very least a right leaning libertarian. It's quite informative to read the writings of the early classical liberals (John Locke, etc). THAT liberalism actually made some sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies