Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do women need to take more responsiblity for their sexual health?
Yes 192 75.29%
No 59 23.14%
Not Sure 4 1.57%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 10:32 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This is a highly unlikely scenario and you know it. You're just grasping at straws now. However even if it happens then the couple just need to accept the consequences of having sex if it results in a pregnancy. Don't want the baby then give it up for adoption but killing it is not the answer. That goes for any unwanted pregnancy that occurs also whether they used protection or not. The only exception should be rape or the woman's life is in danger.
Of course it is unlikely. That is my point. That doesn't make it less real for the people directly involved.

Are you saying that a married couple who do not want children must be abstinent for fear that even sterilization isn't foolproof? And for women who have been advised not to become pregnant, they must be abstinent for the rest of their lives until they have a hysterectomy?

If a woman who has done everything humanly possible to avoid an unwanted pregnancy conceives anyway, that's just tough? Live or die with the consequences?

After all, we've seen in just these few weeks how "life in danger" is ill-defined to the point where physicians are choosing to protect themselves rather than their patients.

I do hope you define rape to include anyone who conceived while under the age of consent, you know--children.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:37 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Of course it is unlikely. That is my point. That doesn't make it less real for the people directly involved.

Are you saying that a married couple who do not want children must be abstinent for fear that even sterilization isn't foolproof? And for women who have been advised not to become pregnant, they must be abstinent for the rest of their lives until they have a hysterectomy?

If a woman who has done everything humanly possible to avoid an unwanted pregnancy conceives anyway, that's just tough? Live or die with the consequences?
Live with the consequences? Yes. That's the risk women agree to accept when they have male/female sex. Die with the consequences? In every state, abortion is legal when the mother's life is at stake.

Quote:
I do hope you define rape to include anyone who conceived while under the age of consent, you know--children.
Why wouldn't it? That's statutory rape.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So you have NOTHING. You're just blindly stabbing in the dark.
I'm not stabbing at anything. I'm not picking up your gauntlet. I'm merely stating observations that I made when reading the threads on the Pregnancy forum regarding pregnancies that occurred after sterilizations.

Statistics are based on individual data points. In this case, the data points are real people who have done everything humanly possible to avoid an unwanted pregnancy and still conceive. They are real people whose lives belong to them, whose decisions belong to them, and whose consequences should be no one else's business.

If you want to stab at how many times this happens, go ahead.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:40 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
The FACT is that 95% of unintended pregnancies can be prevented by the use of birth control each and every time in the event of male/female sex.
Each method of birth control has a different failure rate, and a different rate again between clinical use and typical use. Your touted "95%" is misleading (quelle surprise!) and likely does not include typical use, which the following chart does include:

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answer...ained-3554953/

Old 08-04-2022, 10:43 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times
How many of you think women who get abortions should also get their tubes tied? Why abort one child, and then have another?

Old 08-04-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Live with the consequences? Yes. That's the risk women agree to accept when they have male/female sex. Die with the consequences? In every state, abortion is legal when the mother's life is at stake.

Why wouldn't it? That's statutory rape.
I'm relieved that you agree that statutory rape qualifies.

What is the definition of "the mother's life is at stake?"
Has that definition been codified?
Who gets to make the decision?
Who gives the doctor the approval to go ahead with an abortion or to deny that approval?
Who gets to review the medical history to determine if a law has been violated?
What happens when hospitals make the decision for their staff members not to treat such cases?
What are the consequences for a doctor whose decision to terminate a pregnancy doesn't pass muster with the authorities?

I could go on with questions about when the mother's life is in danger. As I've mentioned, my grandmother's life ended along with her child's due to complications of childbirth. That's a hell of a consequence that echoes for generations.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:52 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,072 times
"Do women need to take more responsibility"

Fixed the title for you lmao

Old 08-04-2022, 10:53 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:

After all, we've seen in just these few weeks how "life in danger" is ill-defined to the point where physicians are choosing to protect themselves rather than their patients.

No, I'm not telling anyone to abstain just to protect themselves if they don't want a pregnancy to occur with the realization in the backs of their minds that birth control can still fail either, though it is only remotely possible. If it happens anyway then the answer isn't to abort. Yep, live with the consequences.

I did include rape in my exceptions for an abortion and not just for minors either. I also said that if a doctor determines that the woman's life would be in danger by continuing a pregnancy that would also be an exception. Did you miss that post?

Old 08-04-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think 1/50 pregnancies are ectopic, and they don’t resolve magically on their own. They require medical intervention.
Medical intervention to treat an ectopic pregnancy isn't an abortion. They've never been classified as such. Planned Parenthood, in their own words: "Treating an ectopic pregnancy isn’t the same thing as getting an abortion."

Ectopic Pregnancy - Planned Parenthood

Old 08-04-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not stabbing at anything. I'm not picking up your gauntlet. I'm merely stating observations that I made when reading the threads on the Pregnancy forum regarding pregnancies that occurred after sterilizations.
So you have personal anecdotes which may or may not be true, but NO facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies