Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do women need to take more responsiblity for their sexual health?
Yes 192 75.29%
No 59 23.14%
Not Sure 4 1.57%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 04:30 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,886,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Again with the incorrect statistics. Will you please stop?

As explained to you before, not all 64+ million women of childbearing age are fertile, having sex, or having sex with men. You need to get the correct data and adjust your numbers.

For example, 38% of Americans of childbearing age are single, 56% of them are women, and only 70% of single women are sexually active. 19% of all women are infertile, and 4% of women are lesbians.

Furthermore, even Guttmacher acknowledges that the abortion rate has been increasing since 2017.
Why would you exclude those who are married and those who are abstaining from having sex? Married women can have unwanted pregnancies and do have abortions, and abstention is the ultimate form of birth control.

Why do you think after decades of dropping abortion rates, the rate increased between 2017 and 2020? What changed to suddenly trigger this? (The overall trend is still down, so it remains to see whether this was a temporary blip or if it reflects a general societal change.)

Old 08-02-2022, 05:04 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,986,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That was my situation as well when I stopped birth control pills…. But unless you have some knowledge as to what your signs are, of course you are going to be clueless. Sounds like you didn’t even try to track. That’s on you. “Everyone else is not you.”
There is nothing to track when every period comes at a different number of days from all the rest. It is called irregular.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:33 PM

125 posts, read 100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
As a man, I really do not understand why or how women are still "accidentally" getting pregnant in the 21st century. It makes zero sense.

-You have condoms.
-You have a variety of contraception and birth control options.
-You have the pull-out method.
-You have oral and manual stimulation options.
-A woman can track her menstrual cycle and avoid vaginal intercourse on the days she is fertile.

None of this is rocket science.

So why are women still "accidentally" getting pregnant?
Are they idiots? Irresponsible?
Did their birth control some how fail?

What's going on?

"In a study of sexual trends in the United States, researchers at the University of Utah found that promiscuity is rising for women and declining for men. The number of women who've had sex with more than 15 partners has increased over the past few decades, from 3 percent to 7 percent.
The opposite is true of men, who are having sex with fewer partners than they did in previous years, the researchers said."
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...-sexually.html
I was asking myself all these same questions. Abortion should hardly ever be necessary if people had any sense of responsibility.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:08 PM

26,037 posts, read 22,230,983 times
I rarely go to the "Relationship" area of the forum, maybe twice a year for kicks. So, I think one of the issues here is that women need to learn the difference between a guy being interested in them for a relationship of any length, and a bootie call. The idea that having sex with a guy will keep him around, or getting pregnant will cement the relationship, is false. Unless you have discussed having children with the guy, he probably isn't going to be thrilled that you are pregnant, and there are a lot of other women out there that will give him sex, so that may entertain him for awhile, but it is not a relationship. If you want to be a bootie call, and frankly, I think most women know that is the reality but ignore it, insist on condoms, use birth control pills/injections/patches, and a spermicidal gel - think Fort Knox for sexual relations!

Old 08-02-2022, 06:23 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,886,552 times
So, I think one of the issues here is that men need to learn that unless they're shooting blanks, every time they have sex with a woman there is some risk of pregnancy. The idea that you can just have sex and be guaranteed to walk away without consequence is false. Unless you have discussed having children with the woman, and she has proved it to you that she's totally infertile and/or has had her tubes tied, you're potentially on the line for child support. If you don't want to be a father, and frankly, I think most men know that the risk is a reality but ignore it, insist on condoms, use birth control pills/injections/patches, and a spermicidal gel - think Fort Knox for sexual relations!

Last edited by Frostnip; 08-02-2022 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-02-2022, 07:07 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
There is nothing to track when every period comes at a different number of days from all the rest. It is called irregular.
Are you purposely not understanding or ? There are tons of signs to track. You can’t see any patterns at all without tracking. Don’t blame the “lack of tracking” for your own laziness and irresponsibility.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:10 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
So, I think one of the issues here is that men need to learn that unless they're shooting blanks, every time they have sex with a woman there is some risk of pregnancy. The idea that you can just have sex and be guaranteed to walk away without consequence is false. Unless you have discussed having children with the woman, and she has proved it to you that she's totally infertile and/or has had her tubes tied, you're potentially on the line for child support. If you don't want to be a father, and frankly, I think most men know that is the risk is a reality but ignore it, insist on condoms, use birth control pills/injections/patches, and a spermicidal gel - think Fort Knox for sexual relations!
It seems so incredibly basic, right? I remember this from 5th grade sex ed (which is pretty age-inappropriate, in retrospect). The schools always drill into you that abstinence is the only foolproof birth control. Just have to control your urges.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:42 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,867,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Your scenario reflects irresponsibility on the part of both man and woman. Hopefully she has his contact info so she can track him down and do a paternity test. Again, she knew the risks going into it.

Yes…saying no is a thing. For both sexes.
But both sexes aren’t being held to the same standard. That is my issue. Both sexes are participating in the sexual act and possibly creating a child. However, only one of them is being forced to use their body to incubate an embryo, regardless of the circumstances.

In the end, it all boils down to some nonsense notion that “boys will be boys,” and women are solely responsible for any pregnancies. It’s fine for the man to abandon her and the kid because she should have known better. Some of the most convenient, backwards thinking I’ve ever heard, and I’m a man. Too many men out there want to have sex with women, only to turn around and blame women for having consensual sex.

Some people on this site really seem to have clear and defined ideas of what the woman’s responsibility is, but don’t want to talk about a man’s responsibility in these situations, never mind what should happen to a fetus in case of rape, incest, or danger to the mother’s life.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:49 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,280,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
But both sexes aren’t being held to the same standard. That is my issue. Both sexes are participating in the sexual act and possibly creating a child. However, only one of them is being forced to use their body to incubate an embryo, regardless of the circumstances.

In the end, it all boils down to some nonsense notion that “boys will be boys,” and women are solely responsible for any pregnancies. It’s fine for the man to abandon her and the kid because she should have known better. Some of the most convenient, backwards thinking I’ve ever heard, and I’m a man. Too many men out there want to have sex with women, only to turn around and blame women for having consensual sex.

Some people on this site really seem to have clear and defined ideas of what the woman’s responsibility is, but don’t want to talk about a man’s responsibility in these situations, never mind what should happen to a fetus in case of rape, incest, or danger to the mother’s life.
Don’t recall anyone here saying that it’s not both parties responsibility to use birth control other than those that insist men should have vasectomies, and even as ridiculous as that is, it doesn’t address STD’s, but please do post who did and be specific?

Nobody said the man should abandon the woman and her kid because she should’ve known better, but please do post who did and be specific?

The fact remains that only a woman can get pregnant, and if she’s not going to use birth control and have sex with a man that won’t use birth control, then expect to get pregnant.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:24 AM

89,319 posts, read 45,042,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Why would you exclude those who are married and those who are abstaining from having sex?
I'm not excluding married women. I just stated that 30% of single women aren't sexually active so are not at risk of pregnancy and as such cannot be included in the abortion percentage.

Quote:
Why do you think after decades of dropping abortion rates, the rate increased between 2017 and 2020? What changed to suddenly trigger this? (The overall trend is still down, so it remains to see whether this was a temporary blip or if it reflects a general societal change.)
1) More state and local funding for abortion. 17 states use state taxpayer money to fund abortions for those who have Medicaid.
2) Society's decreasing level of personal responsibility, including failing to manage one's own reproductive health by using birth control. STDs cases have reached an all-time high for the same reason.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0413-stds.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies