Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 06:18 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
My electric in Upstate New York went up 25%.
Upstate NY just can’t catch a break. I’ve been all over the country for work, upstate NY has by far the most people who seem depressed, frustrated with the state of affairs in the area. Buffalo’s population loss the last 50 year is staggering. You find Bills bars everywhere down south. Your state government hasn’t done you any favors, it’s all looney NYC people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 07:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Or maybe...they are lying to support the cause.

Yeah, sure. That's it. Gotta be.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:19 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
No idea yet, but adding millions of cars onto an electric grid without opening new coal plants isnt going to work.
Look at your electric bill.
That would be a good indicator.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:24 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Look at your electric bill.
That would be a good indicator.
The EV owners I know commonly charge at off peak hours.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:22 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
My electric in Upstate New York went up 25%.
No skyrocketing in WNY.

June 2022: $62.
June 2021: $60.
June 2020: $55.

My June 2019 bill in Texas was $277. I would hate to see how much it would cost today. Glad to be away from there.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:24 PM

2,326 posts, read 960,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
President Biden's alleged actions are not the Green New Deal, as cited in the OP.

Which permits were cancelled? Which other permits for energy were not approved? Which EOs from President Biden make energy more costly to produce?

I don't thin kit's GND related, but rather the sanctions on Russia that are driving commodity prices up included oil and LNG which are used to create electricity.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:46 PM

2,326 posts, read 960,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Was it implemented, or is that what they are trying to do? Even if I follow your link, you admit "here is what they are proposing".

Honestly, take just a minute to evaluate what you are saying, and consider that maybe (just maybe) you are spreading propaganda as fact, and don't even realize it.

A failed House or Senate bill is not increasing my power bill
A proposal is not increasing my power bill
"Them" "trying to do" something is not increasing my power bill.

Just take a minute, and decide what you are trying to say, and then see if you can find some ACTUAL evidence to back it up. We've all been there, myself included. It happens.

Agreed. If anything, the sanctions on Russia and perhaps corporate greed has more to do with price increases than a proposed GND that never passed.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:50 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
I locked into a 3 year contract last year for 9 cents/kWh, so my bill isn't too bad. Wouldn't want to be shopping plans now, looks like they are all 14 cents and higher at the moment.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:52 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
I don't thin kit's GND related, but rather the sanctions on Russia that are driving commodity prices up included oil and LNG which are used to create electricity.
From the EIA website page, fossil fuels are used to generate about 60% of the electricity in the US. The breakdown is 38% natural gas, 21% coal, 0.5% petroleum. It sounds to me that petroleum really isn't in play with regards to the price of electricity, but natural gas and coal prices should affect the cost of electricity.

As near as I can google, there was a fire at a key LNG export facility in Texas recently, causing the price of natural gas in the US to decline in the short term, while the international price of natural gas increased.

The claim in the OP was that people's electric bills were increasing and that it was due to the GND. However, it might as well be said that the price of pumpkins was increasing and that was due to the New York Rangers winning the Stanley Cup this season (they didn't).

Old 07-13-2022, 01:15 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Mine hasn’t skyrocketed, but my company has raised rates. That’s what Democrats want though - they want expensive energy, so that people use less of it because Climate Change. Democrats won’t be happy until we’re all living like we’re in the Stone Age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies