Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:44 PM

413 posts, read 782,480 times

Advertisements

From the people who need it, to those who don't.

Beautiful, this fiat currency scam orchestrated by government banks in rich countries. Bravo maestro.

More moms living in their car with their dogs so Jackson and Goldstein can afford to throw $35 million for a dubious painting.

We are just beginning to witness the side effects of decades of wealth creation but declining purchasing power for middle classes.

Exclusive: Roman Abramovich is secret buyer of £17m 'Big Sue' nude painting - Mirror.co.uk (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/05/19/exclusive-roman-abramovich-is-secret-buyer-of-17m-big-sue-nude-painting-89520-20422496/ - broken link)
Mom forced to live in car with dogs - CNN.com
City bonuses defy credit crunch and hit new record of £13bn - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:09 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
I'm not understanding what a Russian tycoon, who is now the governor of the farthest north eastern region of Russia, purchasing a painting has to do with a 67 year old laid off loan processer living in her car in Santa Barbara. Neither can I figure out the link between British bankers and civil servant bonuses and this unfortunate California residential situation.

If she can't afford an apartment in Santa Barbara, one of the most expensive cities in the USA, perhaps she should consider some place a little more modest, like El Paso, TX or Lima, OH.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 PM

The abuse will go on until there is nothing left to steal.
White collar crime is not policed like it should, as it's seen as a crime without victims and the people involved dine with Prime Ministers and Presidents.
Fiat currency world is opaque.
Virtually no law enforcement, no regulation, the situation is out of control and corruption feeds itself.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:31 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,278 times
What are you talking about?

Abramovich made his money selling oil, a product that you and I buy.

This woman is in her position because she chooses to live like this. NewtoCA's response is right on. I suspect she wants attention more than anything.

The bonuses for bankers exist because people like you and me use banks. You could keep your cash (or gold) under your mattress. Bankers are paid big bonuses because the market and their shareholders allow it. If that bothers you, take your money out of the system.

Your overall approach is flawed because you assume that the economy is a zero-sum game, that's what's lost must have been picked up by someone else.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:05 PM

Blair took out ?300,000 mortgage on house that was 'worth just ?150,000' | Mail Online
Tony Blair, George Bush, Gerhard Schröder, the dream team.
Three puppets.
At least in an official dictatorship, you usually know who runs the affairs of your country, in the West, it seems that America runs European affairs, and nobody knows who runs America.
At the Council on Foreign Relations NYC and at Langley VA, they might have an idea.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:14 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Blair took out ?300,000 mortgage on house that was 'worth just ?150,000' | Mail Online
Tony Blair, George Bush, Gerhard Schröder, the dream team.
Three puppets.
At least in an official dictatorship, you usually know who runs the affairs of your country, in the West, it seems that America runs European affairs, and nobody knows who runs America.
At the Council on Foreign Relations NYC and at Langley VA, they might have an idea.

In your first post, you call for more government regulation of the situation.
In this post, you're implying that government (in the form of political connections) is part of the problem.

Which is it?

Old 05-24-2008, 08:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i would like it very much if you could explain the post a lil more.
i read your profile, its blank. just trying to get a feel for where its coming from.
thanks.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:38 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
The abuse will go on until there is nothing left to steal.
White collar crime is not policed like it should, as it's seen as a crime without victims and the people involved dine with Prime Ministers and Presidents.
Fiat currency world is opaque.
Virtually no law enforcement, no regulation, the situation is out of control and corruption feeds itself.
I can agree with you that there are financial abuses, and white collar crime. I can also agree that some of the white collar crime doesn't have as easily identifiable victims as street crime. I disagree that there is no regulation and persecution of these types of crimes.

I don't see this as a fiat currency problem, it happened when we were linked to gold too.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i would like it very much if you could explain the post a lil more.
i read your profile, its blank. just trying to get a feel for where its coming from.
thanks.
Well, on the upside, you can't complain it took you too long to read it.

I think this is a valid thread starter, but I agree, the substance is missing just yet. How about I help him out a bit.

We've had a false sense of security for decades because the dollar has been strong. Looked upon the dollar as a benchmark, fixed, relative to the rest of factors in elaborate equations for say- retirement planning.

"In god we trust" has been proven false if five minutes after I cash my paycheck I can't afford the rent. Same house, same job, living within my means responsibly the whole time, but suddenly 'inflation' makes me less than I was because of foriegn interference and speculations.

"In oil we trust" is more the reality of how we have lived for 100 yrs.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Well, on the upside, you can't complain it took you too long to read it.

I think this is a valid thread starter, but I agree, the substance is missing just yet. How about I help him out a bit.

We've had a false sense of security for decades because the dollar has been strong. Looked upon the dollar as a benchmark, fixed, relative to the rest of factors in elaborate equations for say- retirement planning.

"In god we trust" has been proven false if five minutes after I cash my paycheck I can't afford the rent. Same house, same job, living within my means responsibly the whole time, but suddenly 'inflation' makes me less than I was because of foriegn interference and speculations.

"In oil we trust" is more the reality of how we have lived for 100 yrs.
very good description of what is happening to a lot of folks right now.
"who took my cheese"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies