Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2022, 06:36 AM

27,652 posts, read 28,750,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I said "A person should be able to live wherever they want without getting treated like they don't belong". In response, someone claimed that I had an "entitlement mentality".
I said that because I have no idea what kind of world you live in where you expect everybody to like you and treat you fairly.

Even as a child, you should have learned pretty quickly such a world does not exist.

Most of the time, you have to earn people’s trust. That can take a long time, and sometimes they won’t even give you the chance.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:11 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I did just that and it was fine. Actually my second favorite neighborhood I've ever lived in. I only moved away because I had to for work.
It depends on who are and where you live.

Quote:
Well, you know what they say about assumptions. No one owes you an answer, especially when you don't seem to be asking in good faith.

I'm not trying to speak for GM, but if there's a town where almost everyone is ethnically Sokovian and folks are pretty insular, and you're a visiting Madripooran, you'll encounter people who are ignorant about your culture and history. Some of them will be ignorant only due to lack of exposure and will be welcoming anyway, and although they might say some ignorant things, they're not trying to be unkind. Others, OTOH, might persist in willful ignorance because it supports their prejudices. Those you have to be careful about because they can turn hostile.
And this is what I was trying to convey. When you stand out from everyone else in a certain community, that is something one might have to think about. You go to a place where you are one of the few persons of a certain ethnicity. You could be going to any place for any reason. Above all, a job, a good home, a safe neighborhood, the residents being at least receptive and respectful as for as you being there, those are things a person wants.

Quote:
That's because you're a liberal Democrat
Huh?

Old 08-09-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I said that because I have no idea what kind of world you live in where you expect everybody to like you and treat you fairly.

Even as a child, you should have learned pretty quickly such a world does not exist.

Most of the time, you have to earn people’s trust. That can take a long time, and sometimes they won’t even give you the chance.
I have plenty of idea what kind of world I live in. I grew up dealing with alot of racist individuals. I grew up in a place where kids wearing Confederate flag t-shirts to school was common. I was also one of the few Blacks at a job where Hispanics were the majority. I got bullied by several of my co-workers, in a very racially charged way. It doesn't mean I should be tolerant of it or think "Oh, it's okay. I'll just stay only in Black neighborhoods". I don't think that way.

I've always thought if you show people respect, you should be shown that same respect. I figured it should work that way everywhere in America. But then again, I'm look at this from a "right and wrong" kind of perspective.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There are places where the minority population numbers wise is low but the minorities there are very assimilated into American culture and aren't part of a separate subculture.

There are also "diverse" places with large numbers of each race but they all live and socialize separately and do not have a common culture.
It depends on where you go. I went to a high school that was about 90% White. The county I lived in was 95% White when I moved there, 85% White when I graduated high school. Alot of the Black kids didn't seem very well assimilated into what you might call American culture. Most of the Black kids pretty much associated with other Black kids, and the same went for alot of the White kids.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:03 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
I am a rarity. In my church I'm one of a few Black people there. Some masses I'm the only Black person there. At least that's the way it is where I live (Huntsville area). In Georgia, one parish I went to had a sizable number of Black parishioners. Nearly all of them were from Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Haiti, hardly any American Blacks.

Interestingly, I've met one Black Presbyterian in my life. She was a Cameroonian college student.

The NYC area and the Atlanta area are completely different, when we're talking about "ethnic Whites". The South never got much immigration, other than New Orleans, Tampa, Savannah, Charleston, basically the ports. Atlanta got a little bit of immigration, Memphis too. However, most immigration went to places like the East Coast, Midwest, and parts of the West. The South wasn't big on the immigration radar. New Orleans basically received much of the immigration. Actually, New Orleans had the largest Italian population in America before Ellis Island opened up. Louisiana has long been the South's center for the Catholic faith (I'm leaving Texas out of it. Texas is its own thing). The South, for the most part, has long been a Protestant region.

When Italians came to America, they stood out, especially in places like New York and Boston. In New Orleans, they didn't stand out as much. New Orleans was already a Catholic place with large numbers of people who spoke French and Spanish. With the Italian language being in the same language family as Spanish and French, Italians (in particular southern Italians and Sicilians) didn't stand out as much. Italians stood out alot more in other parts of the South. Italians did get prejudice from the established population in places like New York and New Jersey.

It's interesting to consider that Italian food has been a big part of my life, as well as other types of food. Mexican food, Japanese food, Chinese food. It never occurred to me that the term "pasta" was only widely used since the 1980s. I was born in the 1980s.

My father was born in the 1950s. His parents were part of the Great Migration. His parents went to Milwaukee, where he would be born and raised. What he remembered of the Italians in his city, he didn't have many issues.

Time and place can affect how we see things. My father is a Midwesterner who grew up in the 1960s. He saw Italians as White people. Him being Black also played a factor. His city was quite divided too. Germans in one neighborhood, Polish in another neighborhood, Blacks in another neighborhood, etc.

Divisions, ethnic and racial, seem to be a big part of American history. It's a sad thing. Currently, it doesn't seem to be going away.
Well, things change. Not only are Italians now considered white in NJ, 50 years after my Archie-Bunker Grandpa's death, we consider their food "ours" and complain when we can't get it in other places.

I am currently living in one of those places.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:41 PM

28,695 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Mathematics indeed.

I understand that Blacks are 13% of the American population. I also understand that 56% of the Black population lives in the South, far and away a higher share than any other region. I live in the South.

In 1900, 9 out of 10 Blacks lived in the South. Two waves of the Great Migration greatly reduced that proportion. Blacks were in the South because of slavery. Many Blacks left the South during the Great Migration. Now, many Blacks are moving to South again, more so that any other region.

The industrial cities of the East Coast, Midwest, and California are where alot of Black people moved to between 1910-1970.

I noticed a few things. I hear about places like Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Idaho being fast growing states. My sister lives in Colorado and she's liking it so far. I know a few African Americans who have spent some time in Colorado and enjoyed themselves. I do notice that the South continues to be ground zero for Black Americans moving there. I sort of thought "there are 50 states. We don't have to limit ourselves to Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia, Tennessee, etc".

I would expect Idaho, Vermont, or Wyoming to have very few Black people. The pull factors for Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Illinois did not exist in ID, VT, or WY.

Happenstance is innocent. What can be unsettling are some people being ignorant. Sometimes, some people will say and do ignorant things because they are that ignorant. Sometimes you can attract the curious. Other times you can attract ignorant people.

Old college classmate of mine from Oregon. Oregon doesn't have many Blacks. At one point in history, Blacks were forbidden from living there. My old classmate from college told me about her hometown in eastern Oregon. According to her, it wouldn't really be so much overt hostility I would get. She told me I might run into prejudice, but it would be more ignorance and stupidity. Persons who say whatever they think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, things change. Not only are Italians now considered white in NJ, 50 years after my Archie-Bunker Grandpa's death, we consider their food "ours" and complain when we can't get it in other places.

I am currently living in one of those places.
And, in fact, things do change. I think it was Dave Chappelle who pointed out that we have the best white folks today that we've ever had.

That's what invalidates CRT. CRT is based on the situation as it stood in the late 70s. It is a very different situation today, and it's changing as rapidly as the Boom Generation (the last generation born and raised in a segregated nation) dies off.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:09 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,878,306 times
0I don't think it invalidates CRT, because the lingering effects of things like redlining and "the war on drugs" are still with us. Maybe calls for an update to CRT? Also, our federal government is still mostly elderly white Boomer dudes.

I also think that while the average young person of today is much more conscious of the need to be proactive about securing equal rights for all, including minority demographics, even among the young we do have groups of alt-right true believers with neo-Nazi ideologies (e.g. Identity Evropa) that we need to be vigilant against allowing to gain traction (especially in stressful and divisive times) while avoiding giving them so much attention that it popularizes them.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:50 PM

28,695 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
0I don't think it invalidates CRT, because the lingering effects of things like redlining and "the war on drugs" are still with us. Maybe calls for an update to CRT? Also, our federal government is still mostly elderly white Boomer dudes.

I also think that while the average young person of today is much more conscious of the need to be proactive about securing equal rights for all, including minority demographics, even among the young we do have groups of alt-right true believers with neo-Nazi ideologies (e.g. Identity Evropa) that we need to be vigilant against allowing to gain traction (especially in stressful and divisive times) while avoiding giving them so much attention that it popularizes them.
The correction of laws and policies has been put in place. The lingering effects of "...redlining and 'the war on drugs.'" will be solved by time.

Time will also soon solve the problem of "...our federal government is still mostly elderly white Boomer dudes."

Back in 1954, eight-year-old Bradley actually was being taught to be an oppressor.

In 2022, eight-year-old Liam is not being taught to be an oppressor.

At the moment, we Boomers are still in control of media, industry, and politics, and we're keeping the shizzle stirred up among our children. A whole lot of that shizzle will die when we do.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 859,898 times
i want to live with my own culture, not against diversity just not in my cul de sac, no that not racist , I just want to know the word to the song they blasting at 5 am. I want be like detroit, have my own little china town, and yes i did live in detriot for five months, longest six years of my life wasted.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i want to live with my own culture, not against diversity just not in my cul de sac, no that not racist , I just want to know the word to the song they blasting at 5 am. I want be like detroit, have my own little china town, and yes i did live in detriot for five months, longest six years of my life wasted.
Based on this post, you view people based on stereotypes.

Detroit is a Rust Belt city that has gone bad. Not exactly the best standard to judge anything by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies