Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2022, 11:41 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I am not the one who wrote the wiki article. I am not the one who started associating the term "white nationalism" with "white supremacy."

Anyone who keeps using that terminology based on the old definitions is going to be seen as racist in today's world.
So whoever wrote the Wiki article knows more than the dictionary description of a nationalist? There is nothing about a definition that is "old" it is what it is as the dictionary states. How is it racist to accept the dictionary's definition over some random person's definition with an agenda?

Here I'll repeat it once again. A nationalist puts their country and their citizens above foreign nations. A supremacist whether they be white, black, brown, etc. thinks their race is superior to others. Now go away you're getting annoying with your BS!

Here's more examples of the liberal left's changing definitions. A woman is not a mother now she's a birthing person. An illegal is not an illegal alien they are undocumented persons. A baby is not a boy or a girl at birth it's up to them to determine what or whom they are. These are just a few of examples of the stupidity of the liberal left.

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-13-2022 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-13-2022, 01:26 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
I am not the one who wrote the wiki article. I am not the one who started associating the term "white nationalism" with "white supremacy."

Anyone who keeps using that terminology based on the old definitions is going to be seen as racist in today's world.
White supremacy and white nationalism are pretty much the same when it comes down to ideology. Trying to argue otherwise doesn't make sense to me. It all boils down to "Whites Only", as it was back in the days of Jim Crow.

Old 08-13-2022, 01:39 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
White supremacy and white nationalism are pretty much the same when it comes down to ideology. Trying to argue otherwise doesn't make sense to me. It all boils down to "Whites Only", as it was back in the days of Jim Crow.
I think the point of contention is in associating nationalism with white nationalism. A nationalist can be any race and doesn’t advocate for any race, only for country.

Old 08-13-2022, 01:44 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think the point of contention is in associating nationalism with white nationalism. A nationalist can be any race and doesn’t advocate for any race, only for country.
Maybe a better word to use for someone who loves his/her country would be a Patriot?

Old 08-13-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I come from a blended family and my sister is black while I'm white. We're pretty close in age so we have a lot of shared experiences and spent a lot of time together as kids. I saw firsthand the differences in how I'd be treated if I went somewhere just me, versus the way we'd be treated if we went together. Not always, but stuff like getting followed around in stores, our school enforcing rules more sternly for her, bad service at restaurants, suspicious nervous nellies eyeballing us when we were out riding bikes, that kind of thing, was a regular pattern. Back then if you complained about it, people who understood would just be like "yeah, no kidding" while people who didn't understand would say you were manufacturing drama.

Nowadays when folks start up that plausibly deniable aggro routine, someone's liable to whip out a cell phone and record it, which I think has curbed a significant amount of it. Low-key racists hate being confronted with their own racism.
For the sake of curiosity, how old are you? I wonder if you're my age, because I think about some of what you and your sister experienced. And then I think about what I experienced.

I've met plenty of people who would just say "you're just playing the race card" or would gaslight in some way. One reason I don't talk about certain things more. I start to sense who will listen and who will brush me off as crazy.

I think one difference between those who lived in the 1950s vs people of my generation, is this. In the 1950s, everything was much more blunt, much more "in your face". If a restaurant owner wanted to keep Blacks out, he or she could just put up a sign saying "No Blacks Allowed" or "Whites Only". It was explicit and it was backed up by law. What I grew up with, and what you and your sister may have grown up with, was different. "No Blacks Allowed" isn't allowed anymore. However, it's not illegal to follow someone around a store. It could get a person's job at risk, but bad service (not the lack of) isn't illegal.

A few years ago there was a bar/club I went to. One of the rules was "we reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone for any reason". I managed to get in because I fit the dress code to a T. However, the vibe I got being in there was rather, well, questionable. I saw a small poster that made an illusion to "welfare queens". It didn't explicitly say so, but welfare was mentioned. The Confederate flag was seen a few times. It wasn't some big, emblazoned flag. It was Confederate flag license plates. I had a bad time there, and I never returned. I found out later that the owner was a racist individual who wasn't too thrilled to see Black people in his club. Legally, he couldn't post a sign saying "No Blacks Allowed". However, he could make it difficult to get in, and then make it a place where once you got in, you would be uncomfortable.

One thing about social media and smartphones, it has exposed many things that have always been there. I also think it has exposed something else. When plausible deniability doesn't work, excuses and gaslighting come next. Some people might say "yeah, it exists, but it's your own fault. If your own people behaved better, it wouldn't happen to you".

Old 08-13-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That's what I have been saying all along but it gets ignored and twisted by liberals. A nationalist is the same thing as a patriot but not the same as a supremacist regardless of what race they are.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe a better word to use for someone who loves his/her country would be a Patriot?
This is why I use the term "patriot" instead of nationalist. In America, a patriot is any American citizen who would fight for America, regardless of who they are. Race is left out of it.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No they are not! I already provided the dictionary's definition of a nationalist and it's not the same as being a supremacist. Why are you only using whites as your example anyway? Any race can be a nationalist or a supremacist or a combination of both but they are still two very separate things because a nationalist isn't necessarily a supremacist!

Oh geez, get your head out of the past. Whites only no longer applies nor do Jim Crow laws!

Old 08-13-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
only government discrimnates
Wrong. Individuals discriminate too.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:28 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I come from a blended family and my sister is black while I'm white. We're pretty close in age so we have a lot of shared experiences and spent a lot of time together as kids. I saw firsthand the differences in how I'd be treated if I went somewhere just me, versus the way we'd be treated if we went together. Not always, but stuff like getting followed around in stores,.
When there are news reports/videos every single day about black shoplifters, it's unfortunate, but understandable that she was profiled.

Today, for example: https://news.yahoo.com/gang-female-s...102334984.html
QUOTE: Police say three women stole about $1,800 worth of men's underwear from a Kohl's store in Newnan, Georgia.

I've also been profiled numerous times and I'm white.

Once at Houston Airport (IAH), my lady-friend and her son got separated from me into a different TSA line. As a single male with no luggage, a Hindu TSA agent pegged me as "suspicious". I was taken aside to be searched. The cop offered to take me into a private area, but I chose to stay where we were (witnesses).

He scanned me, then asked me to open my shorts. I pulled the front out and he had a look. By then my companions caught up and watched. The boy asked loudly why they wanted to see my "wiener"? Everyone nearby laughed including me and the cop.

I suppose I could have thrown a fit and escalated the situation, but they were just doing their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies