Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2022, 09:44 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It doesn't mean I don't look at things from the perspective of right and wrong.
Haven’t you heard the saying “It’s a jungle out there”?

Old 08-10-2022, 11:21 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:

By South Texas, I'm speaking of places like Brownsville, Laredo, Harlingen, basically the Rio Grande Valley.

People of Hispanic background have been living in that particular portion of Texas since before it became a state. Such persons are known as Tejanos.
Exactly. I think this is a good illustration of the different kinds of ignorance we were talking about earlier. Someone who hears that the RGV is mostly Hispanic, and that it's along the border, and is aware of how much illegal border crossing occurs between Mexico and the US, might assume that RGV residents are largely in the US illegally. It's not a crazy assumption, but it's not an accurate one, either. So it could be considered innocent ignorance. The truth is that the region is dominated by Tejanos, as you say - Texans of Mexican descent whose families became American because the US came to them, not vice versa. There are a lot of overt displays of Texan and American patriotism in the RGV, much more than I ever saw growing up in the Midwest, particularly at sporting events. Lots of military service and veterans. The large majority of Hispanic people in the RGV are citizens.

Now, that isn't to say that you don't get relatives from Mexico coming to South Texas and overstaying - the border can be pretty porous and lots of people have family on both sides, or that there isn't employment of people who are in the US illegally - there's agricultural work to be had seasonally, for example. But most people who are illegally crossing the Mexican border into the US with intent to stay long term don't stop at the border for long, don't make homes there, they keep going to where more jobs for them are and/or where they can be more anonymous, often in big cities, or agricultural centers, further north. There are a lot more illegally present residents in, for example, Houston, than in Brownsville.

Now, once a person hears about this dynamic, if they choose to dismiss it out of hand (as opposed to accepting new info, or researching it further from reliable sources) because it doesn't fit their prejudices about areas with high Hispanic population figures or about Hispanic people in general, that's willful ignorance. You would have to wonder why they kept bringing up the subject of illegal immigration when talking about what it's like to live in a Tejano neighborhood, when Tejanos are by definition Americans, and immigration status isn't even relevant to the topic at hand. Seems like hostility toward Latinos in general, as opposed to just opposing illegal immigration.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:04 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Exactly. I think this is a good illustration of the different kinds of ignorance we were talking about earlier. Someone who hears that the RGV is mostly Hispanic, and that it's along the border, and is aware of how much illegal border crossing occurs between Mexico and the US, might assume that RGV residents are largely in the US illegally. It's not a crazy assumption, but it's not an accurate one, either. So it could be considered innocent ignorance. The truth is that the region is dominated by Tejanos, as you say - Texans of Mexican descent whose families became American because the US came to them, not vice versa. There are a lot of overt displays of Texan and American patriotism in the RGV, much more than I ever saw growing up in the Midwest, particularly at sporting events. Lots of military service and veterans. The large majority of Hispanic people in the RGV are citizens.

Now, that isn't to say that you don't get relatives from Mexico coming to South Texas and overstaying - the border can be pretty porous and lots of people have family on both sides, or that there isn't employment of people who are in the US illegally - there's agricultural work to be had seasonally, for example. But most people who are illegally crossing the Mexican border into the US with intent to stay long term don't stop at the border for long, don't make homes there, they keep going to where more jobs for them are and/or where they can be more anonymous, often in big cities, or agricultural centers, further north. There are a lot more illegally present residents in, for example, Houston, than in Brownsville.

Now, once a person hears about this dynamic, if they choose to dismiss it out of hand (as opposed to accepting new info, or researching it further from reliable sources) because it doesn't fit their prejudices about areas with high Hispanic population figures or about Hispanic people in general, that's willful ignorance. You would have to wonder why they kept bringing up the subject of illegal immigration when talking about what it's like to live in a Tejano neighborhood, when Tejanos are by definition Americans, and immigration status isn't even relevant to the topic at hand. Seems like hostility toward Latinos in general, as opposed to just opposing illegal immigration.
Good discussion.

I would add that many of the newcoming illegal immigrants are not Mexican, but coming from countries further south...and the Hispanics with Mexican roots don't necessarily ally themselves with those from different countries.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:59 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The correction of laws and policies has been put in place. The lingering effects of "...redlining and 'the war on drugs.'" will be solved by time.

Time will also soon solve the problem of "...our federal government is still mostly elderly white Boomer dudes."

Back in 1954, eight-year-old Bradley actually was being taught to be an oppressor.

In 2022, eight-year-old Liam is not being taught to be an oppressor.

At the moment, we Boomers are still in control of media, industry, and politics, and we're keeping the shizzle stirred up among our children. A whole lot of that shizzle will die when we do.
I don't disagree, I just think that until that time comes vigilance is needed. White nationalist movements have gotten more sophisticated about their recruitment and messaging, and people who are under economic or social stress are more vulnerable to that stuff. It makes me think of "extinction bursts" in people who are ending an addiction. It's possible to backslide hard at the last moment.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:31 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Haven’t you heard the saying “It’s a jungle out there”?
I have heard that. I do not care. I am about accomplishing things. I an about trying to have peace and a decent life. There are some things I am just intolerant of. Period.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:

I am certainly opposed to illegal immigration. If one wants to come here, they need to come the right way. I also don't buy the thing about most of RGV's population being mostly Illegals. While there are certainly alot of Illegals who come from Latin America, I figure the majority of Hispanic persons in America are U.S. citizens.

And I do know about the Tejano presence in the military. Roy Benavidez is one such person. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Lộc Ninh in 1968.

As for Illegals, I'm willing to bet there might be more Illegals in places living in some of the meatpacking and poultry processing towns in Arkansas, Alabama, and Nebraska than in Brownsville.

My point was that standing out like a sore thumb in any community, it's not limited to White areas. You could stick put in a place like Laredo or Harlingen. Me being Black, I would stick out in Laredo, Harlingen, Brownsville, or pretty much all of the RGV.

I also have this mindset. I have lived outside of the South. I have family from the northern USA. This is where I am getting at. This country has 50 states. Why would I want to limit myself to a few places? Why not live wherever I want, and chase my peace? Why not just go out there? This whole "stick with your own kind" thing doesn't always work. Peace means being able to go somewhere and not wonder " will I get singled out and treated badly because I stand out due to my race/ethnicity?". Peace means "this is my country and I can live wherever I want. If someone doesn't want me there because I am of a certain race, that is just too bad".

Old 08-11-2022, 06:55 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

Of course you provided no links to your assertions. Yes, there are many Hispanic-American citizens living along our southern border but the fact remains that there are also many living there who are illegal aliens to. The facts have nothing to do with any so-called hostility towards Latinos in general. The facts also don't negate the fact that the poster you are replying to doesn't care about illegal immigration as he thinks it doesn't impact him or his race. He has said so via his own words in this forum more than once.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:19 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
I am certainly opposed to illegal immigration. If one wants to come here, they need to come the right way. I also don't buy the thing about most of RGV's population being mostly Illegals. While there are certainly alot of Illegals who come from Latin America, I figure the majority of Hispanic persons in America are U.S. citizens.

And I do know about the Tejano presence in the military. Roy Benavidez is one such person. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Lộc Ninh in 1968.

As for Illegals, I'm willing to bet there might be more Illegals in places living in some of the meatpacking and poultry processing towns in Arkansas, Alabama, and Nebraska than in Brownsville.

My point was that standing out like a sore thumb in any community, it's not limited to White areas. You could stick put in a place like Laredo or Harlingen. Me being Black, I would stick out in Laredo, Harlingen, Brownsville, or pretty much all of the RGV.

I also have this mindset. I have lived outside of the South. I have family from the northern USA. This is where I am getting at. This country has 50 states. Why would I want to limit myself to a few places? Why not live wherever I want, and chase my peace? Why not just go out there? This whole "stick with your own kind" thing doesn't always work. Peace means being able to go somewhere and not wonder " will I get singled out and treated badly because I stand out due to my race/ethnicity?". Peace means "this is my country and I can live wherever I want. If someone doesn't want me there because I am of a certain race, that is just too bad".
Back peddling now? You have said in prior posts that you don't think that illegal immigration impacts you or your race so essentially you don't care. Do I need to find those posts and post them here? You know you said it though.

I never said that most Hispanics in this country are illegals either but in view of the number that have crossed under just Biden alone they will soon be catching up with those who are citizens. How many anchor babies have been born to these illegals? They are a direct by-product of illegal immigration and are not really citizens according to the wording of the 14th Amendment.

Here's a link denoting the total number of Hispanics living in our country both legally and illegally. Since it is estimated by some that there are 20-30 million of them here illegally you do the math out of a total of a little over 60 million Hispanics in our country, total total and again anchor babies who are a by-product of illegal immigration would be included in the total Hispanic population.

https://usafacts.org/articles/demogr...nic-americans/

Old 08-11-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree, I just think that until that time comes vigilance is needed. White nationalist movements have gotten more sophisticated about their recruitment and messaging, and people who are under economic or social stress are more vulnerable to that stuff. It makes me think of "extinction bursts" in people who are ending an addiction. It's possible to backslide hard at the last moment.
Certainly true. It's not like in the 1980s and 90s when such groups were more brazen about who they were. They are certainly around and will make their presence known. They will try more covert ways to gain an audience. They know they could get censured. Instead, they have found other ways.

At that Unite The Right rally in Charlottesville, there was one guy wearing a t-shirt bearing the likeness of Corneliu Codreanu. Codreanu was an Anti-Semitic fascist. He was Romania's version of Hitler. In fact,........https://balkaninsight.com/2017/08/15...ts-08-15-2017/

Everyone knows who Hitler is. Most Americans have never heard of Codreanu. That is how sophisticated it has become. Dog whistle terms like 6MWE and 13/90 are being used now. People outside of those movements have caught on to what 14/88 means. 13/90 flies under the radar, as does 6MWE. These groups know people are looking for them.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:03 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
But CRT--as it is practiced and taught--is not the resolution for these lingering issues. They have a different cause and are, in fact, a different kind of phenomenon even if it looks the same on the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies