Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2022, 02:11 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I do know that wokeism is a rallying cry for some, and I'm trying to understand how the term is defined and used.

Good luck, I hope a universally agreed definition of what "racist" is comes out too so those words can not be continuously be malleable by those on the Left that throw them around at anyone they disagree with.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:13 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
I am genuinely and respectfully interested in the derivation of the term wokeism and how people use it. What does it mean in different contexts, if it differs at all? Is it about white privilege and CRT or public bathrooms and gender identity? Or is it about something else entirely? And why does it upset people so much?
You can’t figure out any way that the concept of white privilege and what it implies may be upsetting to some people?

Do you think it is a completely innocent concept?

Old 08-13-2022, 02:13 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The problem is neither the left wing nor the right wing appears to have any answers to the race issues we are currently facing in this country.

That is what is so unsettling about the situation.
Neither has any solutions because the race issues in America, as it stands in 2022, can't really be solved by the government. It could be solved by the government in the 1960s, because many problems were blunt force, in-your-face kind of oppression. Alot of what goes on today is of a passive-aggressive nature, or more passive-aggressive than it would have been in 1960.

Another reason neither side has any solutions is because alot of anger and hatred from way back when, never went away. It got passed from one generation to another. Some people are better at hiding it than others. Some people are still angry and vindictive, and will never forgive anything.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:18 PM

10,473 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
From what I have observed is that it condemns white people for all the evil in the world. And views them through those eyes.

I don't assume self-goodness upon myself as you can see by my username. I prefer to cut through the bull and have real conversations, without all the pretense. You know, the kind you hear when people speak of fly over country. I would rather talk to someone with the username "dirtbag" than someone with the username "better than you". I don't have time for that stuff.

It is a serious thing, just as what preceded all the savagery and theft that was done to the Native Americans, was labeling them "Savages". And that same kind of labeling seems to be in high gear. And I despise what happened to them as much as I despise seeing that sort of thing rising up again.

It doesn't upset me, they are free to call me evil and kill me if they want, and I won't lift a hand against them. I'll just hope for a greater awakening.

And when someone says "woke" or "wokeism" it is the term they chose for themselves and their movement, and so it is their words and actions under that term that actually define them, and not necessarily the actual word itself.
There is a reason why the institutes are trying to condemn and vilify white people. They are the ones that are most likely going to stand up against the institutes and fight back.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:20 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
The first time I ever saw the term "woke" displayed was when I saw a democrat commentator on the news proudly wearing a button that said "woke" on it. And I wondered what the heck is that all about, and that was about roughly 8 or 9 years ago.

The term "woke" came from that loop as a self-described movement. All I know is that it doesn't look for anything good in me. Which makes me sad.
The term "woke" is far older than you understand.

https://www.vox.com/culture/21437879...on-controversy

Quote:
The first time many people heard “woke” in its current context was likely during the birth of the Black Lives Matter movement. In 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri, Black citizens took to the streets nightly to protest the police shooting death of Michael Brown. As they did so, they urged each other to “stay woke” against police actions and other threats.

But “woke” and the phrase “stay woke” had already been a part of Black communities for years, long before Black Lives Matter gained prominence. “While renewed (inter)national outcry over anti-Black police violence certainly fueled widespread and mainstream usage of the word in the present, it has a much longer history,” deandre miles-hercules, a doctoral linguistics researcher at the University of California Santa Barbara, told me.

The earliest known examples of wokeness as a concept revolve around the idea of Black consciousness “waking up” to a new reality or activist framework and dates back to the early 20th century. In 1923, a collection of aphorisms and ideas by the Jamaican philosopher and social activist Marcus Garvey included the summons “Wake up Ethiopia! Wake up Africa!” as a call to global Black citizens to become more socially and politically conscious. A few years later, the phrase “stay woke” turned up as part of a spoken afterword in the 1938 song “Scottsboro Boys,” a protest song by Blues musician Huddie Ledbetter, a.k.a. Lead Belly. The song describes the 1931 saga of a group of nine Black teenagers in Scottsboro, Arkansas, who were accused of raping two white women.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:33 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
So wokeism is not then about white privilege but rather about gender identity? Is that what this is all about?
It's a generic term when things that were meant in good intentions, got to extreme.

It really isn't a hard concept to understand.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:39 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Wokeism is PC on steroids.

"Everything thing woke turns to *****"

Orange man

Old 08-13-2022, 02:43 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,606 times
In current times, and relating more broadly to social injustice, the policy advisor to the Democratic political party advised to cultivate existing activists.

That policy began after the Tea Party began having an effect on the Republican political party but before DT ran for president. But the advisor to the Democratic political party also advises, something like, to go-bigger, to double-down, and essentially to escalate. And then shootings by police increased

Old 08-13-2022, 02:54 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
The Greek philosophers were pretty woke. So was Jesus, and the men who wrote the Magna Carta. Don't forget the Declaration Of Independence, and many of the amendments to the US Constitution.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:04 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
From your description, is sounds like "woke" is currently used as a dismissive pejorative for anybody who is different from you because it's easier than trying to understand why they are who they are.
Interesting take when the cancel culture of the subscribers of this ideology negates what you describe - seeking to understand why the non-woke have a problem with it. So, yeah, once you get canceled, you might use it as a dismissive pejorative, too.

There’s nothing more to understand about it than this: They are dismantling the family unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies