Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 10:32 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
What about Hispanic kids who get hit with the slipper? Does that make the kid violent? My one cousin got a wooden spoon on the backside.

For centuries, physical punishment has worked well. I would not consent to this for my kid in school, but they did get spanked at home. Not beaten. And not repeatedly hit. When they went to touch the stovetop, and a firm ‘no’ wasn’t working, they got their hand smacked. Better that than burns. When they wanted to pull their hand out of mine and run into the street while walking (we lived in NYC), they got a smack on the butt. Better than being hit by a car.

If you can prevent a damaging behavior before it becomes a problem, maybe it’s not such a bad thing. I still am not sure it’s a good idea to let a teacher spank a kid, and by the age of five kids should have already been taught, but I’m not convinced it’s as wrong as some here are saying. Conflicted.
It was not an argument against spanking. I'm simply looking at the statistics and the current cultural and political culture.

I'm not trying to disagree with a smack on the bum. I'm talking about this. Per capita, no one gets whippings/corporal punishment more than Black youths, especially boys. Guess who is the most represented in committing violent crimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 10:37 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
A swat with the paddle at school is not a beating. And yes, it taught a helluva lot of people to mind their manners before it was too late.
Exactly. Paddling or "cracks" as we called them were a thing when I was in school. My 8th grade teacher had a paddle hanging in his classroom with his fraternity letters engraved on it, Kappa Epsilon Kappa. He told us it stood for kill every kid. He was a very liked and respected teacher among the kids and parents.

Spanking was still a thing when mine started school but had phased out by the time they were in HS. I remember signing permission slips for paddling.

IMO, it never did any harm to the kids. Kids back then were more well behaved and respectful. Classrooms were not out of control, teachers were not attacked, kids got an education, there were not mass shootings and we didnt need police officers roaming the halls.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:42 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Nope, right thread.

A poster said that if her boss ever hit her, she's file a claim against them. So it's totally wrong to hit kids. Wrong for BOTH adults and kids.

I asked if there was an issue with asking about sexual identity or gender in the workplace, and she said hell no.

But kids are asked about it in schools. So it's totally wrong to ask someone at work (boss>employee) about gender/sex crap, but kids are FORCED to answer?

Getting hit by your superior, bad for adults and kids
Getting questioned about your gender and sex identity, bad for adults, but good for kids

Why?

If you aren't interested in the discussion, scroll on by. I don't mind.
Which has zero to do with this thread. You are attempting to introduce sex and gender issues into a thread about corporal punishment. Go start a thread about your outrage about gender issues if that's what you want to talk about. This thread has zero to do with it.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:48 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Which has zero to do with this thread. You are attempting to introduce sex and gender issues into a thread about corporal punishment. Go start a thread about your outrage about gender issues if that's what you want to talk about. This thread has zero to do with it.

I was NOT the poster who brought up adults in the workplace. Go bother them.

It's a spot on analogy. I realize you don't like it because it proves my point perfectly. No one should be asking kids in public schools about gender or sex identity.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:48 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Weirdos.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:50 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
For some people the two are intimately intertwined.
Ranked #16 with a bullet?
https://bestlifeonline.com/freakiest...-america-news/

Old 08-25-2022, 10:56 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
Red states are screaming about groomers, but at the same time are allowing grown adults to spank children in schools... typical right wing garbage, talking out of both sides of their mouths..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...le/7883625001/

I will look forward to the folks defending this with solid reasons for why children should be spanked by employees of schools in Missouri..
First of all it's a very small town. Most people know each other. It's not a difficult thing to be able to hear the opinions from every parent in a town this small. The parents can opt of of it. It looks to me like you are all wet, and you either didn't read the article, or you just want to complain.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
First of all it's a very small town. Most people know each other. It's not a difficult thing to be able to hear the opinions from every parent in a town this small. The parents can opt of of it. It looks to me like you are all wet, and you either didn't read the article, or you just want to complain.
Population 167,000 -- they did not talk to every parent. (EDIT - I see it isn't Springfield but a town near by -- my apologies. 4,000 is a small town but I still am cynical about every parent providing input).

And sure some nutter will thank the school for disciplining their child, so the parent doesn't have to.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:00 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
Amazing how all these spanked children in this small town have such discipline problems at school that they feel the need to bring back corporal punishment. My non-spanked children are literally NEVER in trouble at school. Funny how that works…SW MO gonna SW MO though. I can see them…Mama with her meth mouth telling the school, go ahead and hit my kid, worked for me, look how well I turned out. Their way is working SO well for them…

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Missouri.html

Last edited by STL74; 08-25-2022 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-25-2022, 11:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Population 167,000 -- they did not talk to every parent.

That's just silly.

And sure some nutter will thank the school for disciplining their child, so the parent doesn't have to.
Population 4,000.

1,900 kids in the district.

read the article again.

Claims it was a policy and parents asked to bring it back. They did a survey, and here they are.

Facts are fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies