Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 01:08 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

an excellent article that everyone clamoring for a mass movement to EVs should read.

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest challenge is their resource intensity. In June, Richard Herrington, the head of earth sciences at the Natural History Museum in London, and seven of his colleagues sent a letter to the British government that underscored the scale of the challenge. Herrington and his colleagues calculated the amount of commodities, including rare earth elements, that would be needed to convert all the United Kingdom’s 31 million motor vehicles to electric drive. (Rare earths are a group of 17 elements that includes neodymium, an essential ingredient in electric motors.) They found that doing so would require “two times the total annual world cobalt production, nearly the entire world production of neodymium, three-quarters of the world’s lithium production and at least half of the world’s copper production during 2018.”

The U.S. has about 276 million registered motor vehicles, or roughly nine times as many vehicles as the U.K. Thus, if Herrington’s numbers are right, electrifying all of U.S. motor vehicles would require roughly 18 times the world’s current cobalt production, about nine times global neodymium output, nearly seven times global lithium production, and about four times world copper production.
Electric Vehicles Won't Save Us from Climate Change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM

45,419 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how could that even happen? i would be 80 kinds of pissed off if my state's leadership piggybacked some other state's legislation - some other state where i have no voting say whatsoever.

good on glen youngkin.
Several states have adopted legislation over the last ten or so years mandating that their vehicle emissions programs will follow California's CARB statutes.

https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/ai...es/states.aspx

Old 08-29-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
The car dealerships in neighboring NV, AZ and OR are salivating at no more ICE cars being sold in CA in the future.
Want to place any bets on an addendum being added to "none sold" to include "no new registration/licensing"?

Old 08-29-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Several states have adopted legislation over the last ten or so years mandating that their vehicle emissions programs will follow California's CARB statutes.

so is MD on the hook for the 2035 CA stupidity too?

Old 08-29-2022, 01:15 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Yet once again, I'm so glad I voted for Youngkin, Sears and Miyares!

Old 08-29-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
so is MD on the hook for the 2035 CA stupidity too?
As of right now, yes. That was part of Governor O' Malley's burnishing his Progressive credentials to run for President.

It won't be changed, at least in the next four years. The Legislature likely to be seated in January, as well as the presumptive Governor, is even more leftist than the current members, most of whom will return, when you add in the likely new members.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
As of right now, yes. That was part of Governor O' Malley's burnishing his Progressive credentials to run for President.

It won't be changed, at least in the next four years. The Legislature likely to be seated in January, as well as the presumptive Governor, is even more leftist than the current members, most of whom will return, when you add in the likely new members.
figures. o'malley was a cretin.

oh well, 13 years is plenty of time to get the heck out of maryland, preferably far sooner.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:28 PM

17,640 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
At least in California, I believe there's a limited exception for the sale of plug-in hybrids, which can use gasoline or stored charge. I'd expect the number of gas stations will steadily decrease as this goes into effect though, so visitors from out of state will probably need to rent.
Or just avoid it. It’s on my banned states list along with WA, OR, NY, MA, VT, CT, RI, IL and HI.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
figures. o'malley was a cretin.

oh well, 13 years is plenty of time to get the heck out of maryland, preferably far sooner.
Funny thing. I knew O' Malley when he was on Baltimore City Council and I couldn't stand him then. It got so bad that years later, when I would be at dinners or what not where he was in attendance, I'd get up and leave when he got up to speak, including one time he was to present me with some type of award. I couldn't choke down my gorge for even a few minutes.

I always believed that when he was Governor he woke up in the morning and asked himself how he could screw over the municipalities (except for Baltimore City) and Counties that day.

I worked with Maryland's Governors from the mid-1980s and Harry Hughes to a couple years ago and Larry Hogan. O' Malley was the only one that I felt never dealt straight. I might have disagreed with some policies of the others, (like Parris Glendenning, who I became a close friend of after he left the Governor's office. He always made sure that he and I were seated together at various events over the years where we and our families would have a very good time) but I always felt O' Malley was just totally dishonest.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:30 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:

This was written in legalese, and I'm not entirely competent at translating that language into English. But it appears to me that it's saying that Maryland *MAY* enact California's laws, not that it *WILL*. And also, Section 2 appears to have been sunsetted. But I can't be sure. In any case, I anticipate having retired and moved to a more sensible state well before 2035 gets here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies