Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 06:15 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
I live in Maryland. Foreign doctors and nurses are all you see in hospitals.
You know there are people who look like people who live in India, and China, but were actually born here in the US, right?

Children of these immigrants tend to go into medicine in large numbers.

Besides, there are still plenty of doctors from foreign countries working in America. It will be a long time before they all retire. The changes I am talking about will take decades, and even then, you will still see some doctors from foreign countries here, it will just be a lot less than in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 06:56 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,917 times
Quote:
It's called supply and demand. Not enough of something you pay more. Economics 101...

I can't believe that nurses across the entire US aren't unionized. They need to get smarter. They'd have the bean counters that run these hospitals by the short hairs.
Actually a pretty informed statement. I'm a retired (07/2020) RN, critical care, trauma, neuro specialties with multiple certs. Always a bedside RN and charged my ICU for 12 years. 100 hours of CEU's a year.
I made low 6 figures.

Most of you have zero conception of what nurses do and probably 95% of you couldn't carry my nursing jockstrap . . . just for the record!

Y'all probably like Wash state sen Sen. Maureen Walsh who said nurses sat around playing cards, or other demeaning statements.

Nursing is a helluva hard, multifaceted job. Give the nurses the raise as its a drop in the bucket.

Travel nurses make better money but so does any profession that leaves their home for a quarter of the year and is then asked to do the harder jobs with one day orientation.

Enjoy: https://nurseslabs.com/nurse-memes/

Old 09-16-2022, 07:01 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They do. But the professors way fewer hours.

It's more that they don't want to teach. They would rather be nurses.
How can you know that?

Old 09-16-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I live in Maryland. Foreign doctors and nurses are all you see in hospitals.
Overstating your case is never convincing.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:13 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Another union...

What's the reason?

Nurses are pushing for a roughly 30% wage increase over three years, citing pandemic burnout and staffing shortages. Hospitals, which offered closer to 11%, say they can't afford the union's asks.

Who asks for a staff wide 30% wage increase when inflation is wreaking havoc everywhere?

Keep an eye out on these unions disrupting things with strikes. They (via union leaders) are an arm of the Democrat party.
This will be the downfall of any union support in this country. No one like strikes especially if it effects your own day to day life.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Actually a pretty informed statement. I'm a retired (07/2020) RN, critical care, trauma, neuro specialties with multiple certs. Always a bedside RN and charged my ICU for 12 years. 100 hours of CEU's a year.
I made low 6 figures.

Most of you have zero conception of what nurses do and probably 95% of you couldn't carry my nursing jockstrap . . . just for the record!

Y'all probably like Wash state sen Sen. Maureen Walsh who said nurses sat around playing cards, or other demeaning statements.

Nursing is a helluva hard, multifaceted job. Give the nurses the raise as its a drop in the bucket.

Travel nurses make better money but so does any profession that leaves their home for a quarter of the year and is then asked to do the harder jobs with one day orientation.

Enjoy: https://nurseslabs.com/nurse-memes/

They are asking for raises so significant that local areas HC prices will increase significantly.

The fact is every profession is tough. And among the moderately well educated nurses are quite well paid already.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:43 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
1st - I have 2 family friends that have worked on the railroads for years - both are well off and well compensated between their pay, insurance and retirement. Starting pay for some positions is low but many are forgetting the benefits they receive.

Nurses also are well paid but cuts have depleted their staffs and they spend as much time doing paper work, probably more, than they do caring for their patients - take it from someone who spent a week in the hospital this past year. The difference being anyone in the medical field not only has to do their jobs but continue to take classes, tests ect for our licensing and registrations. It's a kick in the face to go through schooling, continued education and responsible for a person's care to see a guy off the street make $20 as a dishwasher.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:54 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
That's nonsense. Not an RN, your mostly regulated to nursing home type employment.

We need unions. Nurses are over worked and under paid. Hospitals are dangerous places to be as a patient right now. Don't get sick. Hospitals are not giving good care.
IDK. I thought I heard her or my nephew say she less than 2 years school (total) under her belt. What level nurse would that be?

Old 09-16-2022, 09:36 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
They are asking for raises so significant that local areas HC prices will increase significantly.

The fact is every profession is tough. And among the moderately well educated nurses are quite well paid already.
No !

Every profession has it's struggles. Nurses are not well paid. In 23 states the average (not starting) salary is under $70K. In 2 states (Cal., Hi.) the average is over $100K but both states are unionized. California should be the model because of safe ratio standards.

I guess if you don't need healthcare this is a non issue despite the price. Folks seem to be ok with exorbitant med prices. Quality healthcare is directly related to worker satisfaction. You want a nurse so overworked, stressed out, stretched thin to the point of having to shortcut care then y'all go ahead an bich about paying a nurse 30% more (which is a negotiating starting point not an endpoint).

You pay 5% a year more for a frikken car, 50% more per sq. ft. for your homes, buy $1200 cell phones, blah, blah, blah, but want to scrimp on your healthcare then raise 10 kinds of hell when the nurse doesn't get to your room within 30 seconds with your water. Y'all deserve what you pay for !!!!!

Old 09-16-2022, 09:38 AM

2,018 posts, read 869,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
IDK. I thought I heard her or my nephew say she less than 2 years school (total) under her belt. What level nurse would that be?
RN minimum 2yrs AA Degree. LPN is less, and most hospitals if not all have eliminated the LPN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies